• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

I'm guessing because disc golfers are not employees and likely have high-deductible health insurance if any at all.

Imaging is not cheap in this for-profit medical wasteland that we live in and it is probably easy for someone who is young and healthy to gamble that they will heal with rest and good nutrition.

He could still be on his parent's insurance, no? He is under 26.

I would be very surprised if Pat McMahon had health insurance.

I have no clue how various players' sponsorship contracts are structured, but...

If I were a professional athlete (hey, stop laughing at me! :mad:)...

I'd want medical coverage, and I'd try to structure my deal to get coverage like I assume (perhaps incorrectly), most DG manufacturers offer their employees.

Eagle, Simon, Uli, and certainly there have been others. As events and pots get bigger, and courses get longer, people are gonna be throwing harder.

If medical coverage isn't part of their deals now, you think things might move in that direction?

Last edited:
I have no clue how various players' sponsorship contracts are structured, but...

If I were a professional athlete (hey, stop laughing at me! :mad:)...

I'd want medical coverage, and I'd try to structure my deal to get coverage like I assume (perhaps incorrectly), most DG manufacturers offer their employees.

Eagle, Simon, Uli, and certainly there have been others. As events and pots get bigger, and courses get longer, people are gonna be throwing harder.

If medical coverage isn't part of their deals now, you think things might move in that direction?

seems like the dg companies would want to protect their investments

or am i completely wrong

Also, Tristian Tanner was injured last year. Uliberry is partially injured or tweaked right now. Didn't Paul McBeth put terribly a few years ago with a back injury?

TT sprained his wrist punching the ground. Eagle also injured his hand punching the ground the year before I think.

I haven't heard anything about Uli recently.

McBeth has had some ankle issues the past few years, IIRC in 2017 he said he tweaked his back in Vermont after falling. Also had back issue couple years before that after slipping on tee in EO.

I know GG, Simon, Drew, Stokely, Brinster, Fish, Climo, Austin Turner have all had back issues before.

Big Jerm dealing with sciatica the past couple years.

Barela has had some knee issues.

While true, and certainly the huge rips certainly will likely start seeing more injuries (especially if form is not perfect), it seems several of the recent big name injuries/down time have been non-throwing hard related:

Eagle's right fist pounding the ground. USDGC-'20 I think
Eagle goofing off for a video (very abnormal throw) hurting shoulder (fool me once, shame on you, ...)
Simon (IIRC) hurt his right arm/elbow shooting a video as well, may still not be recovered.
KJones' bad slip on his ace run at Maple Hill thankfully was not an injury, but A) easily could have been, and B) was not during a tourney either.
Ricky's Lyme disease episode, etc.

I would hope that these events and/or property owners and/or PDGA and/or DGPT have some super insurance coverage as well. What if Kevin's slip tore up his knee and he couldn't play for 18 months or even ended his career? Because of a wet/faulty teepad, whether during warm-ups, skins match, or the actual event? Talk about pointing fingers...

I like to re-link this article about ~80% injury rate among casual players:
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/01/12/ouch-look-injury-bug-avoid/

Which includes the peer-reviewed study in link 1.

I remember in Simon's "Does arm speed equal distance?!" video talking about the "next level" increase in effort going from 60mph to 70mph relative to the same incremental increase in lower speeds. There have been comparisons here between a 500 ft/70mph throw and a 90mph baseball fastball. Pitchers (esp. starters) usually take a few days off between appearances on the mound.

These things together all remind me that developing form slowly over time, going through rest + challenge cycles, and not pushing it too far when chasing the next level are so important like in any sport. I do wonder how many touring pros are not "hurt/on the bench", but harboring minor injuries and "sucking it up" throughout the season. I've heard pros mention it in interviews sometimes.

I remember in Simon's "Does arm speed equal distance?!" video talking about the "next level" increase in effort going from 60mph to 70mph relative to the same incremental increase in lower speeds. There have been comparisons here between a 500 ft/70mph throw and a 90mph baseball fastball *. Pitchers (esp. starters) usually take a few days off between appearances on the mound.

*Clarifying that Simon's vid and this 500ft/70mph idea was in the context of Backhand, but still mentioning it as food for thought for fast/long distance FH & BH.

On the insurance deal, the player's are not employees, they are contractors and that leaves it up to them to get their own insurance. So for the folks sleeping in their cars, insurance takes a second to a lot of things. I think that's more or less how most sports are set up unfortunately.

I wouldn't say elite level DG isn't hard the body, but I don't think it comes close to what a professional baseball pitcher does to themselves during a game. If for no other reason, the number of throws at near max effort is significantly less.

I wouldn't say elite level DG isn't hard the body, but I don't think it comes close to what a professional baseball pitcher does to themselves during a game. If for no other reason, the number of throws at near max effort is significantly less.

This is true, it's all about pitch count as it were. If I threw 80+ pitches in a game in college I couldn't go the next day. But usually those are all very high effort motions.

In disc golf I maybe have 2-4 throws per round when I throw as far as I can. Unless it's a long golf course style course.