• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle Observation...fwiw...

DiscFifty

Banned
Watched Eagle throw this weekend. The only obvious observation to me was he was very relaxed, slow, effortless on every throw except on what appeared to be his max distance pulls. On those everything was exaggerated, including his run up distance, speed, arm speed, and vocal grunt.

I've been trying to throw relaxed for quite some time now, but does anyone do something similar to Eagle when going for your max d?

You know, hes at the point where he can brace so efficiently that he is allowed to try hard. He can actually USE that force unlike most of us.

I find the grunt always helps, but if I try for max power I come up short

I've never got to watch someone in person who throws that hard. But I keep reminding myself when I watch them on video, that when they throw ~425' and it looks effortless, that's like me throwing 300'. Of course it looks easy, they barely have to put anything into it. It's very few times that they seem to throw over 85% power, and then they do a really balanced jog/skip in but everything still stays perfect.

What does "bracing" mean?

The plant leg is the brace leg. If you do not brace correctly you simply keep your momentum going through the plant foot rather than transferring it into the throw...this also leads to tons of problems other than just a power leak (it can cause you to keep moving forward and throw off your planes, etc.). Typically the harder most people try to throw, they end up losing their mechanics and drifting past their brace leg...essentially throwing worse than if they backed off 10-15%.

The plant leg is the brace leg. If you do not brace correctly you simply keep your momentum going through the plant foot rather than transferring it into the throw...this also leads to tons of problems other than just a power leak (it can cause you to keep moving forward and throw off your planes, etc.). Typically the harder most people try to throw, they end up losing their mechanics and drifting past their brace leg...essentially throwing worse than if they backed off 10-15%.

hmm..I still think I just don't understand bracing. I thought it was supposed to be something like your entire body stopping like hitting a brick wall and using that force to help propel the disc, but I think it's something else???

hmm..I still think I just don't understand bracing. I thought it was supposed to be something like your entire body stopping like hitting a brick wall and using that force to help propel the disc, but I think it's something else???

Eagle bracing...

Attachments

• IMG_0121.PNG
    IMG_0121.PNG
    139.2 KB · Views: 134
Bracing transfers forward momentum into rotation.

I've noticed something about Eagle. At the right pec area, the disc is quite vertical.

Left pec somewhat, I think he just likes to admire the stamps on his discs before sending them off into oblivion. By the right pec it's on course.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 86

If done incorrectly it will feel like crashing into the front side, like you stopped immediately. If done right, it sets you up for a firm axis to blast your arm around. Your momentum will end up going kind of upwards and you'll just end up in balance without feeling any impacts, standing straight up in the follow through without even trying. As SW simply put, it takes the forward momentum into rotational.

Thx, that's the clarity I needed.

I don't think I've seen your form, but check to see if you're striding too backwards/closed at the target (trying to shift too much "from behind"), which may cause you to slam your rear hip into your front hip to hit that brick wall, instead of getting a nice shift to rotation with clearance.

Left pec somewhat, I think he just likes to admire the stamps on his discs before sending them off into oblivion. By the right pec it's on course.

It would need to be pretty early in the outward pull. I'm thinking it gets the disc in closer to the body for a better rail.

I just watched him and others on the lead card this weekend, and watched a few of his rehearsal moves before big drives. Like Dan said, what I noticed is how focused he was on keeping the disc very close to his chest. I went out and threw some with that focus right after and noticed how effortless I was throwing as far or farther than normal. I am obviously still rounding a bit, so glad I watched this to clean up form even more. Field work here I come!

As DiscFifty noticed, most of the time he doesn't appear to be throwing hard, even when throwing putters about 350'

This is my problem. THIS. I need to cure it.

I just watched him and others on the lead card this weekend, and watched a few of his rehearsal moves before big drives. Like Dan said, what I noticed is how focused he was on keeping the disc very close to his chest. I went out and threw some with that focus right after and noticed how effortless I was throwing as far or farther than normal. I am obviously still rounding a bit, so glad I watched this to clean up form even more. Field work here I come!

As DiscFifty noticed, most of the time he doesn't appear to be throwing hard, even when throwing putters about 350'

You were out here in Tyler for the PWO?

Latest posts