• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

El Guapo Baskets - New to the Industry

Looks solid man!

If you can make the center pole 2 pcs and ship it all in one box, like DGA does with the newer Mach II's, you can probably move them at $250 shipped. The wgt might be the deciding factor on the shipping though...

Discs unlimited was going to charge me $52 to ship a Mach II from KS to NJ, the basket weighs 52 pounds. All in one box. I ended up ordering it from DGA themselves with free shipping before x-mas. They shipped it ground freight not air because of the weight. It took a few extra days, but they paid just over $35 to ship it from CA to NJ. $100 is a bit much.

Ah the nubs.....ive talked to 3 other builders and Jeff at the PDGA and in the end it comes down to whether or not they want to put them on. Its a builder preference. I've heard pros and cons with no nubs or with nubs.

i was at my local course with my club president and he was trying to get me to do the nubs like what the basket had at our course. He was putting for par and Dinked on one of the nubs and thats when i smartassly remarked "You know, if those nubs weren't there...". I won him over after that. :)

I've had Jerry Miller from Disc Golf Depot in Portland OR look my basket over and say he'd recommend them to his customers. I don't want to be like what the Big Man builds. If my basket sells then it sells if it doesn't then it doesn't. Not trying to troll or be hyper defensive just giving my two cents for what its worth.

Peace.

I am work on getting the pole to be shipped with the basket. looking at having the pole tapered to slide into the other side but what I'm trying to do that will set it apart will be to have at least 6 inches of overlap that way it cuts down on the wobble that comes with two part pole designs.

Shipping - talking with Jerry Miller this past weekend was so helpful in so many ways. i got a lot of great advice including how to handle the 3 courses on the Eastcoast and 1 in Louisiana that want me to build for them.

As i get more experience with this business stuff will be honed in better. Im only 5 months old. :)

chris.

Well, I'm the guy on FB asking for "nibs" at the inner top of the basket. Without them a low shot can very easily slide around the inside of the basket rim and pop out the back. I have 5 baskets and the one that doesn't have nibs is the cheap instep basket (no nibs just like the costco) and the discs don't stay in the basket worth a hoot. On the other hand oddly enough.... it catches in the chains better (I added a second row) than any top of the line baskets I have. Oh, in the pic I modified the Bullseye baskets "nibs" because they have a reputation of nicking discs.
baskets_zpsf5ysloou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Your overall design and the workmanship look great. Kudos for following your dream.

cool to see two different baskets side by side. I wish we had more of those pictures like disc profiles.

Well, I'm the guy on FB asking for "nibs" at the inner top of the basket. Without them a low shot can very easily slide around the inside of the basket rim and pop out the back. I have 5 baskets and the one that doesn't have nibs is the cheap instep basket (no nibs just like the costco) and the discs don't stay in the basket worth a hoot. On the other hand oddly enough.... it catches in the chains better (I added a second row) than any top of the line baskets I have. Oh, in the pic I modified the Bullseye baskets "nibs" because they have a reputation of nicking discs. Your overall design and the workmanship look great. Kudos for following your dream.
Interesting, I never thought about them helping prevent rim outs, although it probably wasn't a good putt. FYI the tray sizes are different on the instep and Titan, I think it's 2-4" narrower (and deeper) on the Titian which is why I get so many chain outs that fall over the side of the tray.

Well, I'm the guy on FB asking for "nibs" at the inner top of the basket. Without them a low shot can very easily slide around the inside of the basket rim and pop out the back. I have 5 baskets and the one that doesn't have nibs is the cheap instep basket (no nibs just like the costco) and the discs don't stay in the basket worth a hoot. On the other hand oddly enough.... it catches in the chains better (I added a second row) than any top of the line baskets I have. Oh, in the pic I modified the Bullseye baskets "nibs" because they have a reputation of nicking discs.
baskets_zpsf5ysloou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think if the tray is deep enough, you can live without the nibs.
^What Matt said. Plus nibs work both ways - while they may help keep some shots from rimming out, they can also reject low shots that would otherwise just skim over and land in the tray. As for the Instep catching better in the chains... I immdeiately thought of two things:

1) The Instep chain assembly appears to be wider, which I think would increase the chances of a disc making it to the inner set of chains, which should slow the disc down more than if it only makes contact with the outer set. Spread them out too far and you increase the possibilty of blowing through with less reduction of velocity - I suppose there's a sweet spot somewhere in between.

2) the type of chains you added might play a role (lighter/heavier, larger/smaller, surface, etc.

spend a few years putting with both in the backyard and you too would want nibs, trust me, that instep catches great in the chains but a low shot a little too far away from the pole (like an inch) the disc goes around the rim and pops out the back. A deeper basket would help but the disc doesn't seem to drop down into the basket much unless it's almost a drop in. The bullseye on the other hand if your'e an inch too far out in the chains... spit out, but.... anything that goes into the basket stays in the basket. The nib shot that falls out is rare. hmmm, I just thought of this, put the instep top on the titan bottom. I'll line up the mach baskets for a group pic too. My problem is Iv'e been a 24/7 caregiver for several years now and rarely get out to throw a round but can spend all day putting in the backyard so maybe I'm a bit more critical than some people. When I'm really working on it I'll do 1000 a day.
Those elguapo baskets look super good I must say.

Ah the nubs.....ive talked to 3 other builders and Jeff at the PDGA and in the end it comes down to whether or not they want to put them on. Its a builder preference. I've heard pros and cons with no nubs or with nubs.

The only compelling argument I could see for nubless baskets is cost and ease of manufacture. It's true that nubs could prevent a sloppy low put from going in, but that's not a real issue, IMO. The issue with nubless is that it can, and often will make a mediocre putt into a very bad putt. The typical scenario is if someone putts a little wide and low, and hits the rim. On a regular nubbed basket, they will either get lucky and have the putt stick, or the disc will plop out and drop by the basket. On a nubless basket however, the disc will often slide around the rim and launch off Dukes of Hazzard style, landing far away from the basket (sometimes farther than the original lie), as if the thrower completely overshot and missed, rather than being just a little off.

One of our local courses has a few homemade nubless baskets, and while they're mostly good, I've seen (and experienced) enough overly punitive rimouts that I can see why nubs have become the industry standard since the 90s or so.

Now, I have seen some baskets made by a local guy that catch very well and are nubless that I think would be worthy of consideration. But they also cost considerably less than other baskets.