• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Emotional attachment putter dilemma. Need help.

I used to kill with the Xputtr but it tended to roll away all the time.Try a max weight Evolution Wizard

Heavy Wizards roll the worst for me, but I love putting with them. So basically your confidence eventually goes up. Because if you do get a roll away, you've trained yourself to put it away on the following putt out of pure necessity. So your putting gets better. It's kinda twisted, but it makes sense.

I had kinda the same dilemma... Being a spin putter, I putted with Challengers for a long time but the roll away's weren't my problem. My problem was playing with the fade of the Challenger outside 30ft. So I asked Hysell and of course he recommended a soft Magnet(Thank You Mr. Hysell!). After forcing myself to use it for a few weeks and then at a tournament, I've never looked at my Challengers the same way for putting purposes. I hit a LOT more putts outside and inside 30ft with my soft Magnet. I still use the Challenger for driving though!!
If the Aero works, use it! The wizards are a great driving putter too. Don't get rid of them!;)

Same deal for me... but I went APX instead of Magnet.
As for Challengers: World's Best Approach Disc :thmbup: (but I don't putt with 'em)!

So now, I am in a emotional dilemma, because I love putting with the Wizard, but I no longer need to carry it in the bag.

Anyone else go through this?

Emotional attachment doesn't post good scores, making putts does.

Use the disc that works, hang the emotional attachment on the wall and admire it there.

Be honest, Herman Cain gave you these Wizards, didn't he? :p

Be honest, Herman Cain gave you these Wizards, didn't he? :p

mail

I have been appreciating all the posts on this thread. Just want to update.

I have had a lot of bad weather, so I have not had a chance to go outside and putt. Inside 20' I could putt with anything with a firm feel and be consistent pretty much.

So I am going to mark 30-50', hopefully be able to record, and putt with 4 discs:

175 dx Aero
175 ss Magic
174 ss Wizard
160 glow Wizard

The ss putters are fairly firm. I find no need in taking out the medium flex since it is the one that has me in debate on putters again.

I must admit, I dug up my Magic, and I forgot how good they felt, and besides the bead, feels a lot like the Wizard in my hand, I am sure due to the size similarity.

Anyways, on my inside putting practice I notice what it is that bothers me about the Wizard, that I think resulted in a lot of the energy that powered the roll away spree. That is, because it does not have a lot of glide, it really falls hard. It is very predictable, yes. But that lack of glide makes it hit the basket (or in my bad cases, rim) harder than the Aero.

When I looked on Gateways disc info poster, I noticed it gave the Magic a little more glide than the Wizard, and in my putts inside, I can see how it and the Aero hits my basket much easier than the Wizards.

Anyways, none of that matters, when I take it out, which ever I feel I putt better with, that one I am sticking with.

The reason I have trouble outside 20' is simply because it is the comfortable max distance of my push putt. Once I am in the +20' range, I have a tenacity to over-commit and foot fault, as well as release the disc on too much of a hyzer, making it almost vertical by the time it reaches the basket area. Until I get my shoulder built up, that is the end game of my push putt.

So, I am developing a spin putt for that area out.

The Magic has won the battle of the putters because it is much closer to the same size as the Wizard that makes a familiar feel, and it is actually a little more understable, which makes it longer before the putter fades off. My push putts are straighter with the Magic, as was the Aero, but on the spin putts, the Magic held it's line a bit longer, and the Aero would fade left quicker. The Magic was more often hitting something, staying on a straighter line, where the Aero I had to play more of a curve like the Wizard, only not as steep.

On approaches, all discs performed well. Maybe a slight edge to the Aero for the extra glide, but it wasn't that much more than the Magic, and did not make that much difference.

On full shots, both the Aero and the Magic was too flippy for me to rely on. Sometimes I could hyzerflip them up flat, sometimes they would not flip up enough, and sometimes they would flip over and go way right of my target. The E Wizard won this round hands down.

So I am keeping the Wizard for full shots, and the Magic for putts and approach. On a windy day, both would be benched for the star Roc, but that is another matter.

Thank you for all your help on here, I am glad this is over. It has been like :wall: for a while, glad to get back to just playing and practicing the game.

Latest posts