• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

esp nuke 171 problems

If the predator feels good coming out of your hands, it's something you should keep and work with. What most the people in the thread are trying to teach is that if you work out throwing putters and mid-ranges, you will learn how to throw any other disc you pick up much easier.

Where as if you start off learning the game by throwing a destroyer, or a nuke, and get good at throwing only that disc, it is going to limit what you can throw in the long run because you will have adopted the form required to throw a disc you really weren't good enough to be throwing. This is where I am right now, I started off by playing with a Boss, a Groove and a Nuke. I learned how to throw these discs to about 350 feet, but now that I have branched out to using mids, putters, and fairway drivers much more often, I am really struggling now because I would always throw my discs with a bit of an anny release to get them to do S-Curves. Now that I have powered down to other discs and throw them the same way, they turn and burn straight into the ground and turn into rollers.

So really, find a disc you really love and stick with it, but make sure you learn to throw everything straight, not just the few drivers you fall in love with.

Why is everyone on this thread obsessing over disc selection? If he's throwing nukes 250 max he needs to forget all that crap, get a couple of DX eagles or something like that get a couple of putters, watch some disc golf videos and put in 100 hours in the field.

Fizzy said:
Why is everyone on this thread obsessing over disc selection? If he's throwing nukes 250 max he needs to forget all that crap, get a couple of DX eagles or something like that get a couple of putters, watch some disc golf videos and put in 100 hours in the field.

OK so I guess I make a disc suggestion in my own post, but the point is any controllable middle of the road driver is fine: TB leopard eagle pd a champ RR or beast. Who cares. Pick it. Stick with it. Put in 100 hours in the field.

Fizzy said:
If a hundred hours in a field is all that disc golf and plastic manufacturers have to offer to lure in the casual player, then most people will pass and get another game for their XBox.

Now if we can ease his choice making decisions and recommend some modern plastic designed for new players. Get him to invest in just a couple more discs, and get his on course game a little more fun. Then maybe he will get hooked on the greatest sport ever and want to go put in the hundred hours to learn his bag top to bottom.

Just a thought.

Dookville said:
Fizzy said:
If a hundred hours in a field is all that disc golf and plastic manufacturers have to offer to lure in the casual player, then most people will pass and get another game for their XBox.

Now if we can ease his choice making decisions and recommend some modern plastic designed for new players. Get him to invest in just a couple more discs, and get his on course game a little more fun. Then maybe he will get hooked on the greatest sport ever and want to go put in the hundred hours to learn his bag top to bottom.

Agreed man. I am already putting in the time in the field but that is hardly the fun part. I made this thread just for tips and pointers and I appreciate everyone's. I certainly am a casual beginner but I play with a few people that have been playing for 20+ years and would really like to get to a tournament level eventually. By the way I used to paintball on a regular basis...and Damn was that expensive. It's nice to have a cheap hobby lol

Awesome, you sound like you ar getting hooked already if you are aiming toward playing tourneys. How often do you play? Are your buddies helping you out with form and shot selection?

Dookville said:
Fizzy said:

Now if we can ease his choice making decisions and recommend some modern plastic designed for new players. Get him to invest in just a couple more discs, anvgd get his on course game a little more fun. Then maybe he will get hooked on the greatest sport ever and want to go put in the hundred hours to learn his bag top to bottom.

Just a thought.

Dookville said:
Fizzy said:

Just a thought.
I see where you're coming from. But, really I wasn't tying to be a jerk. if you just want t be a casual and throw as far as you can than why not Nuke it? If you're sick of that and want to improve then I don't see any shortcut to putting in a ton of time in the field with a stack of teebirds (or equivalent). Maybe I'm a freak but I think driving practice is really fun.

Dookville said:
Awesome, you sound like you ar getting hooked already if you are aiming toward playing tourneys. How often do you play? Are your buddies helping you out with form and shot selection?

Yeah man that is my ultimate goal. I started playing last year but only ended up going a few times because I moved to third shift at work and my schedule got rough. But now I am back on first shift and am really enjoying going on the weekends. I have fun out there but I can be very competitive and obviously everything is more fun when youre good at it lol Yeah my buddies are very helpful, as are most of the random people out on the course, just like you guys helping me here. Ive learned a lot just in the time ive joined this site and talked to people.

I live next to a church, and their football field (that they never use) is basically my backyard, no one lives behind me and I do not own a fence for now. So practicing my disc throwing is as simple as stepping out my backdoor. To make matters even more convenient, I have a border collie that relentessly plays fetch with me. So I chuck a disc, he grabs it. Repeat haha Anywho that practice alone has helped me realize what discs in my bag are going to do when I throw them correctly. I am really starting to love disc golf!

I see where you're coming from. But, really I wasn't tying to be a jerk. if you just want t be a casual and throw as far as you can than why not Nuke it? If you're sick of that and want to improve then I don't see any shortcut to putting in a ton of time in the field with a stack of teebirds (or equivalent). Maybe I'm a freak but I think driving practice is really fun.

Well, that really wasn't the point, somebody just starting out and playing casual probably would want a Nuke. On the other hand, grabbing a stack of Teebirds and hittling the field for a ton of work that needs to be put in doesn't quite sound right either. Yes, driving practice is fun, and it should be fun, unless the Nuke you are using keeps going left.

So you recommend a Teebird, would maybe a TL be a little better disc for a new player since it's not quite as stable, and can it be used on the course as well. Why is this such a good disc, is it because it gives a lot of feedback when you throw it. Is it a disc that new players as well as pros throw. Is it by some chance a freakishly long disc with a great upside for new players, in that it's not hard to throw because the rim is smaller than the Nuke and you can rip on it better.

espJFibe said:
I bought the Nuke last year and have had maybe two or three great shots with it. I just can't seem to throw it very far at all, like 250 feet max. Maybe I should just give up on the nuke and try a new disc?

So how's the search for more distance with a cleaner line going espJFibe?

I am coming along. My consistant distance with the Nuke is 350 foot. My old and beaten X Pred helped me get that far. I havent picked up my discs in awhile, and am going out to Herman Hill here in Wichita, Kansas tommorow morning seeing as how its going to be one of the first sub 100 temps all Summer. It probably wont be pretty : p