• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Euro Roller

Rockapotomus

So, I have really been wanting to work on backhand rollers lately. I need help on what disc to start off with. I don't really have anything understable enough to use right now(I am proficient in sidearm so I never worried about it too much) I am a Lat/WS/DD fanboy, so I would prefer discs from those comapanies. I was thinking an Underworld or Renegade. For reference I throw about 375-400' fairly consistently with my drivers and that's RHBH

Thoughts/recommendations?

Sorry if there's already a thread on this I didn't wanna spend too long on search

My friend throws thee most amazing backhand rollers with his VIP King.

it might be too much disc for what you're looking for, but i've never seen such amazing and controlled, yet long, BH Rollers.

Other than that, I'd recommend the DD Renegade.

My friend throws thee most amazing backhand rollers with his VIP King.

it might be too much disc for what you're looking for, but i've never seen such amazing and controlled, yet long, BH Rollers.

Other than that, I'd recommend the DD Renegade.

I know people love Kings for rollers, and I plan on getting one. I just feel that I would be better off getting something a little slower just for learning purposes.

Very much an Underworld, though I haven't thrown a King (way too fast for me). Underworld is a truly understable fairway driver that you could consistently and easily turn into a roller.

Might I suggest a 160g Opto Diamond?

This WAS the disc I used for what you're talking about, and really tree laden shots, but I don't use mine anymore (its on the MP!)

You'll eventually want something longer for rollers, but its a nice little US fairway

I use a 170g gold line saint, but its pretty worn in. If you're set on swedish the underworld was a good suggestion :)

My friend uses a test material bolt for this and it works pretty good for him.

Opto fury, understable enough to roll, stable enough to hold its line on the ground. Slower speed still goes really far but makes for more control. Max weight to fight the terrain. If you want faster a gold line bolt or a king would do but I really suggest the fury. It's the lay sidewinder/roadrunner and there's a reason a lot of good rollers use them great control/distance.

Side note: if you want something that will roll for for you with a flat throw then you'll want something flipper such as an underworld. The fury you'll have to give a slight anhyzer release to get the roll. I prefer the latter as I can control the angle of release therefore I have more control of how it will roll. I don't like putting my trust in the disc that it will flip enough every time to get the roller I want.

Another question. Should I be looking for a domey or flatter disc for rollers? Or does it not really matter as much?

Search for it with the search feature but I highly doubt you'll find anything. Start a new thread with a poll, that's a good question that I don't believe I've ever heard asked before.

Think of your dome like a sail. Domey=more influenced by wind. Of course that changes things when you are sideways. I could see a crosswind destroying a domey roller or the dome acting more aerodynamically depending on the direction. Plh is what really makes the difference.

How the disc flies in the air will resemble how it rolls. Flippy discs are harder to get to roll straight but can work curves where a more stable to over stable disc will roll straighter longer considering to get it to the ground correctly.

Think of your dome like a sail. Domey=more influenced by wind. Of course that changes things when you are sideways. I could see a crosswind destroying a domey roller or the dome acting more aerodynamically depending on the direction. Plh is what really makes the difference.

How the disc flies in the air will resemble how it rolls. Flippy discs are harder to get to roll straight but can work curves where a more stable to over stable disc will roll straighter longer considering to get it to the ground correctly.

Both really helpful and informative, thanks for the feedback

You want flat discs when rolling. Less affected (sp? this one always gets me) by the wind, and helps center the weight of the disc. To be clear, I mean center between the top and bottom (left and right sides while rolling) where the PLH would be located.

If not going for distance rollers which I'm assuming you are, the Tursas rolls JUST like a Cobra. If you haven't rolled a Cobra you're missing out:)

I've rolled quite successfully with a Opto Vision. Rolls a lot like a Star Roadrunner for me.

Kings are quite popular to roll. Eric McCabe, touts the Renegade as a good roller, but you need a cannon for that to be true. Diamonds would be easy to get turned over, but the lightweights probably won't roll as well.