• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever get tired of being the ambassador?

To be serious, sometimes I do. But it does help to stay positive. I had a guy come up to me the other day and ask "do you really enjoy playing that?". uh.. ya. After a quick chat I then tee'd off 4-5 times, throwing backhand forehand overhand roller as he stood there and watched all the types of throws I could come up with. He then responded with "I was thinking about picking up one of those starter packs at walmart"

You should have invited him to play and let him use a disc. How could you not love playing?

I've got a problem that is the same, only different. We have an awesome crew in McKinney. Lot of cool people I like. The problem is, you show up to the course and always have people looking to play a round. No big deal if you are by yourself and looking for some fun. Problem is I've always got my wife with me and at least one other friend. Some times we just want to play a round at a good pace and get on with our day. I don't like to play with large slow groups every time. It really sucks turning friends away though. It has gotten better now that we have two courses to pick from.

Stupid thing to complain about "wahhh, I've got too many friend". and a great problem to have but sometimes I just want to play a quiet round of golf with the people I set the round up with.

Most of the time I've got nothing better to do and am down for a slow drunken round of doubles, just not every time.

It only bothers me when I'm trying to jam 20 minutes of practice into my lunch break.

Early morning. Pay to play and private courses. I have all three of these options and using them ensures that I play alone or with my intended friends.

They have starter packs at Walmart?

Few years ago they did but it didnt last very long.

Anyway, to the OP. Where are these kids parents? 8 years old? I would just say to them "Dont your parents ever tell you your not supposed to play with strangers?

As for the issue of playing a serious round; I know how you feel, just from the fact I go with my fiance, her 13 year old son and our 8 year old son and while I do love doing that, there are just some times when I want to get out without my 8 year old picking up sticks and swinging them at the 13 year old and not getting up to his disc while everone is waiting for him; and the 13 year old is even worse because he really wants to throw well, so he muligans at least once per hole and talks non stop. Then, when I am really focusing on my putt, they have a habit of wandering around the basket. The fiance cannot throw far at all but she has got the sense of etiquette to where we can keep moving, but still would like a round with just the guys.

I do like playing with our boys, I really do; but sometimes, since I have to drive an hour to get to a good course, I want to get 2 or even 3 rounds in and it just aint happening.

Yes and no. It depends on my mood. I helped these people out awhile back but only because there was a MILF on the card and I never mind eye candy while playing. But yes I understand your pain

The other day in Oklahoma we were playing and this old couple was following us around the last couple of holes and they were watching and asking questions. They were really polite until the last hole and I had a putt to win the round and the old man decided to ask a question right during my release. It was funny though because even his wife said "your not supposed to say anything while they are about to throw" Good stuff

Yeah, I've been there. Just got a practice basket for my birthday, and I set it up in my front yard, hoping to practice putting. Approximately 3 seconds after it was up, my lawn was swarmed by half a dozen kids throwing plastic. So, after explaining to them that they should not throw when someone was right in front of the basket, or trying to keep them from fighting over the discs or climbing on to my roof to get a mis-thrown disc, I decided I would just wait until they were in school to practice.

just think of all the young adults that will have you ingrained in their heads as that badass golfer who turned them on to the sport and fostered a love of the game. gotta decide to be a patient teacher if you decide to take on that role.

You guys have WAY more patience than I do...

The #1 attribute ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY to being a parent or teacher !!

just think of all the young adults that will have you ingrained in their heads as that badass golfer who turned them on to the sport and fostered a love of the game.

And someone have to take care of our favorite public courses when we're gone.....

Last edited:
I wanted to play a really serious round today to try and set a personal record but I kept getting interrupted by the uninitiated public and I even had 2 Mexican boys ask to play with me. I grabbed some loaner DX mids I had in my car and taught them how to play and they just went flying though like speed golf. I think I said, "heads up Armando," on every drive.

Should of just hollared "QUATROOOOOOOOOO". :)

Yeah, but for me it is more about telling people about the local doubles and monthly. Sometimes I play Leigh Farms just because I know I won't see anyone else, although even that is getting less reliable.

Other than an old couple asking me about why I carried so many frisbees, never had any 'trouble' with the public.

Helps that there is enough DG traffic at the closest course (in a popular public park) that the odds of me being the only one there to give out pointers is pretty low

At my home course I see a lot of beginers, especially teens carrying only one disc, and I get some strange looks when I show up with my Quad Straps and big bag full of discs. I do get a few questions ,and I try to help when I can. Two weeks ago , I saw some guys walking out of the course carrying two Frisbees,and I gave them some tips and told them to go get a Cobra or a Shark, and I saw them out there a week later and that is what they did.

I love playing with the newbies, mainly because I know I'm nurturing the future of the sport, but also because they give me more compliments than the advanced and pro players do. Usually when I throw a good drive they'll say something like "whoah, are you a professional?" to which I reply, "I wish, but not even close ..." and that only impresses them even more that someone with what seems to them to have mad skillz is only mediocre in the grand scheme. Last week I was out throwing in a field in a local park, and some middle-aged dude wheeled his car around in the parking lot (I was throwing from the end of the lot) and said "Man, I've never seen anybody throw them as far as you are." That gave me the perfect opportunity to show him how my discs are different from a frisbee, and to describe the sport to him. He was simply having fun watching the discs fly, but I got to tell him "this is disc golf..." :D

So I can understand getting tired of being the ambassador if you have a day like the first post describes, but on the balance it's a great feeling to know you're helping the sport grow.

Latest posts