• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever had a run in with Law Enforcement on the course

It is rather amazing how disc golf gets associated with all sorts of odd things. I can think of 3 courses in our area that are frequently patrolled. It is not because of disc golfers, but because of male prostitution. It is really weird. We have cops patrol the parking lots quite often but rarely do they go out on the course. Our home course is situated at the back of a large park and the parking areas for disc golf are seperated from the main areas of the park by a small forest area. Since it is secluded there have been some cars that have been broken into. (mine included) They have been patrolling since it has happened to quite a few people. It is probably not disc golfers breaking into the vehicles but we make easy targets because we park back there.

I guess I should skip mentioning that I was called in for mt first "random" drug test a few weeks after my boss found out I played disc golf. During the five years I was there I got "randomly" tested three times. No one else in the department was randomly tested during that time that I knew of. Despite my test being negative, my boss still tried to force me into the EAP. The assumption in a parks department was that if I played disc golf, I had to have a drug problem.

So, just a word of warning. If you apply for a parks department job, don't tell them you play disc golf.

That is beyond stupid of them. I'm shocked that not one but four people thought that would be a good idea.

Shoot, at Morley Feild (San Diego) these guys all had their personal bongs. I was amazed. I can see a spliff or maybe a "throw-away" pipe to medicate with, but a bong:confused: That is ballzy!!!

I guess I should skip mentioning that I was called in for mt first "random" drug test a few weeks after my boss found out I played disc golf. During the five years I was there I got "randomly" tested three times. No one else in the department was randomly tested during that time that I knew of. Despite my test being negative, my boss still tried to force me into the EAP. The assumption in a parks department was that if I played disc golf, I had to have a drug problem.

So, just a word of warning. If you apply for a parks department job, don't tell them you play disc golf.

Thats a shame. That is usually the assumption that I encounter when people find out I play.

Shoot, at Morley Feild (San Diego) these guys all had their personal bongs. I was amazed. I can see a spliff or maybe a "throw-away" pipe to medicate with, but a bong:confused: That is ballzy!!!

LoL I think smoking in public is ballzy on its own. Doing it with something bigger than your head that everyone instantly recognizes is foolish at best.

On another note, on how DG helps Law Enforcement: At Chavez Ridge DGC at Elysian Park (L.A., CA), there were a ton of gays and male prostitutes ducking into the undergrowth for whatever they do. There was a lot of drug traficking there as well. Since the course has been installed (about 3 yrs now), the illegal activities have been seriously curbed. There are less homosexual activities going on during the day (what happens to come up from Hollywood Blvd at night is any1's guess), and you don't see people selling Meth out there anymore. The Park Community Group, that was opposed to the DG course initially, loves us for intimidating the criminals (they try to intimidate back, but that ain't workin'!!). The cops have to make less trips up the ridge, knowing it is pretty well patrolled by us. All in all, it has been a positive addition to the park and our community!!!

Last edited:

I hope the word never gets out at my job, because all the management knows I play disc golf. They even made fun of me once, because they had to move my work truck, and found a stack of putters in the passenger seat. One my run at night, I pass a 9 hole course that I like to hit about once a week, and around 3am one of my stops is next to a post office that has a awesome open field, that is well lit with street lamps on post. Those post make a great object course, and its lit.

I am not worried about being drug tested, I just don't want them to assume I am doing them because I play.

I hope the word never gets out at my job, because all the management knows I play disc golf. They even made fun of me once, because they had to move my work truck, and found a stack of putters in the passenger seat. One my run at night, I pass a 9 hole course that I like to hit about once a week, and around 3am one of my stops is next to a post office that has a awesome open field, that is well lit with street lamps on post. Those post make a great object course, and its lit.

I am not worried about being drug tested, I just don't want them to assume I am doing them because I play.

Yeah, it is bad stereotype we get. Most DGrs are law abiding, good people. Like any community, a few bad apples can spoil the barrel.....

On another note, on how DG helps Law Enforcement: At Chavez Ridge DGC at Elysian Park (L.A., CA), there were a ton of gays and male prostitutes ducking into the undergrowth for whatever they do. There was a lot of drug traficking there as well. Since the course has been installed (about 3 yrs now), the illegal activities have been seriously curbed. There are less homosexual activities going on during the day (what happens to come up from Hollywood Blvd at night is any1's guess), and you don't see people selling Meth out there anymore. The Park Community Group, that was opposed to the DG course initially, loves us for intimidating the criminals (they try to intimidate back, but that ain't workin'!!). The cops have to make less trips up the ridge, knowing it is pretty well patrolled by us. All in all, it has been a positive addition to the park and our community!!!
That's funny. I posted about Chavez Ridge a while ago.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44361&postcount=85

The other day I was at Freedom Park just practicing my drives. This cop rolls up and was hanging out there and comes over and says to me, "would you mind moving to that section of the field, you're getting dangerously close to hitting those people." So then I explained to him that this is a disc golf course and showed him how to play. So he walks to the idiots who were having a picnic about 40 feet from the basket and tells them to move haha.

Yeah, it is bad stereotype we get. Most DGrs are law abiding, good people. Like any community, a few bad apples can spoil the barrel.....
most of us pot smoking DGrs are law abiding, tax paying, volunteering,good people as well who never have any run ins with the law. We dont get into fights with are wives,gfs, friends ,relatives, random people we think insult us like the drunks do:p. All we want is to be able to take the medicine which helps us and dosnt have the horriable side effects of the main stream drugs without being treated like criminals or second class citizens just because we live in nazi states like texass.

The other day I was at Freedom Park just practicing my drives. This cop rolls up and was hanging out there and comes over and says to me, "would you mind moving to that section of the field, you're getting dangerously close to hitting those people." So then I explained to him that this is a disc golf course and showed him how to play. So he walks to the idiots who were having a picnic about 40 feet from the basket and tells them to move haha.

Very Nice!!! I wish we had the police policing idiots that set up picnics in all DG courses. Then we wouldn't have to look like asses when we ask them to move