• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever had a top-notch public course to yourself?

just played Iron Hill last week with one other group, who we let pass us, and then didn't see another soul the rest of the round.

Though it may not be considered a "top notch" course, I've played a solo round at Firefighters Park in Troy, MI. I got up early on a weekend and headed out and I was the only one on the course when I got there. It turned out to be a pretty zen round, I scored even, best score I've had there yet. I enjoyed the round quite a bit!

That course is always super busy when I play. That would be a nice course to have to myself.

I had Hudson Mills to myself once. I guess no one else wanted to gamble with the severe storm watch.

Jason, no worries man. I did ignore the "top notch" part. I did have 2 totally awesome solitary rounds at Eagle Ridge in Oswego last summer. I'm planning on getting out to as many courses as I can this summer, but my love for Wheeler will always be huge. Sorry for getting defensive about my home course!!

It's all good. :hfive:

That sounds like a fun summer plan. If I were you, I would try to get down to the Joliet area. West Park, Highland Park, Community Park are among of the best in the Chicagoland area courses.

It's all good. :hfive:

That sounds like a fun summer plan. If I were you, I would try to get down to the Joliet area. West Park, Highland Park, Community Park are among of the best in the Chicagoland area courses.

Those are definitely on the list, I played West Park like 10 years ago, but not since I got back into playing seriously. I also want to do Rockford, Peoria and the Quad Cities. I would also LOOOOOOVE to make it to Highbridge Hills too.

Had Deer Lakes all to myself from 11 - 12:15 today, it was awesome and I barely beat the rain that followed :) Gave me a lot of time to bond with my new Esp FLX Buzzz, Opto River, and LE Fuse.

other courses are packed

It's crazy to me, but I've had Blue Valley all to myself for several weekends straight. Weather's been really nice here in Kansas City, which is a great DG town, to be sure. Blue Valley is without a doubt, a world class course. In fact, world's was here just a couple of years ago and Avery shot 14 under, I think, in the rain. Effing insane. Playing 9 at BV is like playing 18 anywhere else, even at some of the top notch courses we have around here. It's so crazy to me, b/c I work down by Rosedale, which is such a skeezy place, but it's packed every weekday. Blue Valley does have a bunch of shady dudes hanging out, but it's just me and Lucy (my Walker Hound) on the course every weekend. I'm not kidding at all when I say world class course, with pro level par 5's. I'm talking 950+ feet. It's crazy tough if you play from the long pads, but there are shorter pads and alternate pins on the longer holes for the faint of heart. Tons of big old trees make shaping shots on some holes (like 4 and 5) key, but some are just balls out long (like 9, 17 or 18). Not many leaves on the trees and the course is tough as hell, and they've been adding lots of new stuff in for the past few weeks. Very distinct fairways and rough stay mowed up nicely and the pins get moved every now and then, some holes have 3 or 4 placements. KC's a great place to play and the Blue Monster is world class and I have it all to myself every weekend. :clap:

It is all about the time of day you go. I work overnight, off by 730am and time to hit the courses. I have played many great courses with no one else in site at this time of day. This is especially so during the weekdays.

Im lucky to have my local course(foundation park) all to myself quite often, its been so relaxing to get out there and enjoy this great weather we have had here this winter.

I have played Milo McIver solo, but one of the great things about Milo is that even when the course is pretty busy, it is spread out enough that there isn't a lot of interaction with other groups anyway. So it usually feels like you have the course to yourself, even when you really don't.

Zephyr Cove Such a beautiful and fun course. 3/4 of the time your the only person there minus the occasional peeps on horses by the last couple holes. If you get there midweek in the a.m. you'll more than likely have the place to yourself.
8aab01fc_m.jpg

Last edited:
I have played Zephyr with nobody on the course, Milo and was the only car in the parking lot and Pier Park very early with the fog.

About six weeks ago I was driving back to Charlotte from DC in the middle of the night. I stopped at a rest stop about an hour North of Burlington, NC. Slept in my car for a few hours, got up and drove to Cedarock Park at the crack of dawn. When I hit the course, there wasn't a soul in sight and the ground was covered with a frost that looked like an even layer of snow. Pins were in the long position and so was my backhand. It was a beautiful round.

The first time I ever played Whistler's Bend, outside Roseburg, Or., my wife and I were the only ones on the course. It was the middle of the week in April ~ at the time Whistler's was the largest course I had ever played on ~ I was like a little kid alone in a big toy store.

Its not a top notch course to be sure but I've had Zilker Park to myself on many occasions. I get there right at sun up. Nobody but me, the joggers, and the homeless guy who sleeps on the picnic table by #5 tee.

I once had The Grange (Blockhouse) to myself

That was a fun day of Golf. Got to play the Sunny and Dark Side.

Awesome course, even when it's empty.

Latest posts