• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever run from a course screaming?

Nick Phoenix

I took my family to Dover Park in Delaware on the way to our vacation spot.
My oldest daughter was stung exactly between basket one and tee two. Then we saw a swarm of bees rising from the ground. My wife yelled for everyone to run to the car!
We escaped further injury and drove on.

Might not be able to get my kids back out to play again. ;)

I wanted to post a message on the course page, but I don't want to give the course a rating after only play one bee plaugued hole!

That sounds like a lousy experience, especially for your daughter!! Hopefully your next family DG outing will go a lot better...

My four year old son got like sixty stings the other day. They got under his clothes. Me running with a one yr old in a cart and a 4 year old in a headlock. Both screaming.

Prolly would have looked pretty funny under other circumstances.

My kids won't go back to one of our local courses. We pulled the first tick off by basket #2. We pulled three ticks off after we teed on # 3. When the tick check at hole four turned up two more, we were outta there. That was three years ago; they won't go back.

More to the OP; when I moved to Chicago I got off work and stopped at Shady Oaks to play my first round at my new "home course." Nobody told me it was a glorified swamp and that at sunset the mosquitoes swarmed. :\ I'm not sure what hole I ran from, but there was screaming involved. :|

It turns out it is a swamp becasue it is a retention run-off (detention? I get the two mixed up) area for the neighborhood, another fact that was not passed on to me. It started to rain pretty good while I was out there not paying any attention...all of a sudden the place started to flood. That made twice that I ran for my life out of that park.

Somehow I never got sentimentally attached to Shady Oaks.

I've never run from a course screaming, but I have run from a hole or two over the years for the same reason you describe. Once a hornet stings you, they give off that chemical (pheramone?) that encourages the others to also attack. Those times, by the time I realized I was being stung, there were 8 or 9 bees on me and I ended up stung 6 or 7 times. Also, they seem to go out of their way to get up your shorts and t-shirt and just start stinging.

Standing there and trying to swat them off is not an option. Running away from the hive screaming like a little girl is your best defense. I've been lucky so far this year. No stings yet.

I've never run from a course screaming, but I have run from a hole or two over the years for the same reason you describe. Once a hornet stings you, they give off that chemical (pheramone?) that encourages the others to also attack. Those times, by the time I realized I was being stung, there were 8 or 9 bees on me and I ended up stung 6 or 7 times. Also, they seem to go out of their way to get up your shorts and t-shirt and just start stinging.

Standing there and trying to swat them off is not an option. Running away from the hive screaming like a little girl is your best defense. I've been lucky so far this year. No stings yet.

Never knew that before thanks for the info on the chemical thing. I hate anything with a stinger to start with but this will give me just one more big reason to hate them.

I have ran from skeeters before. A few courses in michigan are unbearable once dusk hits. Its nice to be in AZ and rarely get a mosquito bite but sadly the courses are horrible. I would take ticks and skeeters for better courses.

I made the mistake of playing Renny Gold after a couple months experience at DG. I ran to my car screaming after the round. Cried like an injured little girl that night in my hotel.

While I did not run from the course, I did walk off of Goat Island in Cramerton NC after 12 holes. The mosquitos were swarming and my 99% deet did nothing to dissuade them.

Some stinging insects, not all, will bump you before the attack begins. Swatting is usually the first and worst instinctual reaction.

The best field remedy I know of is to break apart a cigarette, make a grape sized ball of tobacco and spit on it to form a compress. Apply the compress directly on the sting(s) and leave it there. Reapply as necessary.

A can of Solarcaine in the car helps a little after the fact.

Benedryl could save your life, on the way to the hospital, if you have a really adverse reaction.

...and before anyone else says it...
Numerous players have run screaming, bleeding and disc-less from Giles Run.

I've run (nearly screaming) from Silver Fox about 4 years or so ago because of hordes of mosquitoes (that didn't respect liberal applications of even 100% DEET).

I've run screaming ON (but not off of) Purdue North Central just this summer when deer flies swarmed me (I finished my round, tho').

I limped off of Leila Arboretum cursing just this last weekend. :| :|

We were on a roadtrip last year to BHMO... stopped at a course in cincy. My buddy and I got stung several times by bald faced hornets. F those things man.... ran screaming... still finished out round :| So, no... no I haven't.

Guys ran screaming from the Blockhouse this weekend because of a spider. A card of 5 plus a caddy went darting off the hole midround.

I have ran away from a course as soon as the round was finished at Gilles. That place is scary and dangerous.

While I did not run from the course, I did walk off of Goat Island in Cramerton NC after 12 holes. The mosquitos were swarming and my 99% deet did nothing to dissuade them.

I played a course somewhere in the Dakotas where I might have run off the course due to the mosquitos, but I definitely ran from shot to shot because of them.

Played Shepard State Park in Gautier, MS yesterday. We get to Hole 12 and one of the guys in our group throws just slightly into the rough about 3/4 of the way down the fairway, on the left side....the rest of us waited as he walked up to make his next throw, next thing we see is him running, at top speed, back down the fairway towards the teebox....he goes zooming past us, stops and turns and says: "swarm of bees about got me"....only to realize a split second later that it was NOT a swarm of bees, but a guy flying his RC plane in the field on the other side of the rough....we laughed out loud for several minutes...he then said "you guys are never gonna let me live this down, are you?" ....once the laughter subsided, we did give him grief about it...and NO we will never let him forget it....

Latest posts