• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen a 360 Degree course like THIS?

I am a regular at Park Circle as I only live 10 minutes away.

Lucky you. If I lived closer, I'd play it even more than I currently do now...

The roads are there...but I personally have seen maybe 2 or 3 discs reach the roads.

Once again, that's because the course was designed so well by the CDGC!

When a disc does find a road, it's so rare that everyone can't help but laugh.

The only exception is somebody trying a wild curve it over the outside road and back shot on purpose. But, you need a really big arm to even try those.

Ham Lake in MN but I heard it is now 18 and the other 9 is all on the north side of the park. The circle is basically 4 baseball diamonds that you play around!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/2433/74a6ea63.jpg

here is the courses main page:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2433&mode=ci

Cool! Do those ball fields have a fence to mark a home run ball? If so, how high are they and do discs go over the fences very often? Yeah, that would be a drag having to climb over and back to retrieve errant throws.

Reason I ask is there's another mostly baseball park (Gahagan in Summerville, SC) that I think might be able to squeeze in a 9 holer. It's a nice park, but the director doesn't think there is enough room around the baseball fields and the home run fences are rather high. I'm SURE he doesn't want any discs interfering with any ongoing baseball games - especially during playoffs.

Looks like that course goes around with natural curves to left keeping it away from the ball fields. That's exactly what I'd like to see at Gahagan!

If there's anybody else here familiar with Gahagan Park, let me know if you also think a 9-holes could be squeezed in. Local Note: There's talk of a 9-holer in Wassamasaw Park, but I think that's just too small to fit 9 in.

Last edited:
Heck, if there's anyone who has first-hand knowledge of any disc golf course causing problems with a nearby baseball/softball field, please let me know!

I just can't see a once-in-blue-moon bad disc golf throw landing in another sports field being that big of a deal. Most of the year, there are NO games going on. But this particular park director clearly did NOT like my idea at all.

That's sad, because the alternative park he suggested also has basketball courts that would almost certainly have even more of a problem with discs possibly hitting someone or disrupting games (not school/league organized).

Crooked Creek Park in Chapin, SC

Had someone in my group throw into the outfield during a youth all-star game. Had to wait until the inning was over. Unfortunately, the pitcher had lost all control, so it was a long wait.

Have seen a number of discs land in baseball fields there, but much of the time disc golf is being played, baseball is not, so it's not too critical a problem.

It's an interesting layout...looks like you have to cross multiple roads. I like how you could play 9 holes or 18 holes and it's still a trip around the same circle. A good idea for a park that may have minimal resources and land for a disc golf course.

That course is on my list to play, I'm looking forward to it! I'm planning a day in the near future when I come down from MB and play the 3 main courses in Charleston: Park Circle, Ashley Road, and Trophy Lakes. I know there are 2 on the Military bases in N Charleston. What do you know about them?

Crooked Creek Park in Chapin, SC

Had someone in my group throw into the outfield during a youth all-star game. Had to wait until the inning was over. Unfortunately, the pitcher had lost all control, so it was a long wait.

Have seen a number of discs land in baseball fields there, but much of the time disc golf is being played, baseball is not, so it's not too critical a problem.

I don't think it would be a major problem myself and waiting until an inning is over seems like the thing to do. Looking at the land from Google Earth, it looks like there's plenty of room. In person, not quite as much, but possible.

Thanks for your input!

In our case it must have been a 15 minute wait. We watched the pitcher walk about 6 runners in before it occured to the coach to call time out and talk to him, and we could retrieve the disc.

How much a problem it may be depends on the usage of the ballfield. At older/higher level play, the baseball folks may take greater offense. But conflicts can be minimized with good design; I've played a number of places with courses near baseball or soccer fields, but set up where the chances of conflict were minimal. (It also helps when fields have "pass-throughs" in the outfield where you can dash onto field to retrieve the disc, instead of having to call to a player or walk a long way around.)

I do think of a piece of advice, perhaps from Harold Duvall, to think of the worst shot you can possibly imagine. Then think of one even worse, and plan for it.

I have just updated the Park Circle site in honor of Fred Morrison passing away yesterday. I knew the site would be SWAMPED with new visitors because this site always comes up high when people search for info or photos of him. Sure enough, a new All-Time Traffic record for unique visitors in a single day!

Check out the new Park Circle Maps page (linked from every other page on the site) and a page with some news articles about Blaine "Hurricane" Kinkel - winner of the 2009 Bowling Green Ams AND the U.S Open Amateur Championships. He came pretty darn close to winning the "Triple Crown of amateur disc golf" last year. This is a feat that nobody has ever achieved and perhaps never will.

R.I.P. Fred Morrison!

looks like you will be crossing someone elses flight path alot. Thats how people get hit, discs get taken, and the pace gets inhibited, not a fan of that aspect.

I know there are 2 on the Military bases in N Charleston. What do you know about them?

There's only ONE course on a military base here and that's the Naval Weapons Station. No checkpoint to go through there and a McDonalds is nearby as well.

The other one you must be thinking of is Buccaneer Bay at Charleston Southern University. I truly HATE they want those 9 holes to be for staff, faculty and current CSU students only. For a Christian school, that policy is NOT Very Christian like! I took some graduate courses there, but apparently that's just not good enough? I have NOT given up trying to convince the school to make this course open to the public - especially since the area it is located in WAS fine for public to be in (prior to DG baskets being installed).

looks like you will be crossing someone elses flight path alot. Thats how people get hit, discs get taken, and the pace gets inhibited, not a fan of that aspect.

That's simply not an issue at Park Circle course due to it being well-designed by a group of experienced disc golfers. Only 1 of the 8 green area islands has two holes on it and only one tee on that island is near the basket for previous hole.

But, thanks for your feedback anyhow! :)

seems like it would be easy to throw at wrong basket your first time out there

Nope. Since we only have 9 baskets, throwing to the wrong basket is Simply Impossible! LOL

The course maps show both the main basket positions and Alternate positions. If the basket is not seen at one of them, you KNOW it's gotta be at the other!

Thanks for your feedback!

Definite high marks for use of space. :thmbup:

Thanks! Us locals are really very proud of it. This "English Garden Style" park, first designed in 1913, was only the second of its type ever planned in the USA!

Right now, all of the Azalea bushes are in full bloom, which sure helps to attract female players. I recently saw a group of 3 ladies playing (and having LOTS of fun)!

We FINALLY got signs and cement tee pads installed for all 18 holes here. But, sadly, it appears somebody has swiped the tee sign for our beloved hole #18.

UPDATE: The problem with "one tee on that island is near the basket for previous hole has also been corrected. Overall, the upgrades are NICE!

Follow link in my signature to view this course website (LOTS of new photos!).

thats wild never seen anything like it

You are correct. It IS Wild! :clap:

I would also venture to guess the VAST majority of disc golfers have never seen anything quite like this course before. It's not far from the end of the Cooper River, which goes into the Atlantic Ocean. Therefore, it is often windy!

Each island has a different wind factor. And, on your second time around, it may not be going in the same direction as it was the first time around. LOL

Don't even THINK of throwing a pink disc here when the Azaleas are blooming! ;)

Got a chance to play the weekly doubles event last Summer while I was on vacation, which was only the 2nd time I'd ever played the course, and to be honest the first time I'd played it <about 3 or so years earlier> I didn't care for it, although I did admire the use of the land that was available. Had a GREAT time during the doubles! But then again I do know a good amount of guys from "Team Chuck". I do still prefer Trophy Lakes over Park Circle, but if I do have any vacation time while I'm there I will definately be playing this again. Congrats to CDGC for getting tee signs up, ya'll have done a great job!

Latest posts