• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen a 360 Degree course like THIS?

I played Park Circle when visiting North Charleston for a Widespread Panic show. I liked the course. It makes the most of the available space.

Glad you go to play it! It does maximize the space quite nicely. I just played it again today and saw where the City of North Charleston is in the process of removing a bunch of (dead?) trees within the area. Some of those were really big and I'm kinda sad to see them go. Trying to make it safer I guess...

We had planned to play at Tidal Creek, but it was underwater and unplayable.

Tidal Creek (West Ashley) gets pretty rough when it has recently rained and almost anytime during the Summer. I met somebody while playing at Park Circle and he told me the last time he played there, he came out with a tick stuck to him. The exact same thing happened to me too! What are the odds of this happening to both of us?

My buddy wandered away after the show, and it took hours to find him. Possibly the circles disoriented him, or it might have been the Widespread Panic. Not sure.

Trust me, it was NOT the Park Circle DG course that disoriented him! LOL

Must be a regional thing---I can only think of a couple of courses in our area with this configuration. Most around here are a single loop---you leave the parking lot and don't see it again until Hole 18.

You sure don't see many Ball Golf courses like that. Maybe a few worldwide...

If there are 2 nine hole loops, that gives you an option to start off the back nine first. If you only have time for 9, you get a choice! Same if you have time for 27 too I guess.

BTW, I would LOVE to come play your course sometime... If I played it in a tourney, I'd get to see some big arms perform. But, I'd probably come in dead last! I kinda want to avoid the latter. ;)

I'll add that the layout of Park Circle (subject of this thread) means you'll deal with the wind from every possible angle as you work your way around.

Also, among the drawbacks, is that the parking lot is across the traffic circle from the course, and traffic on the circle never stops. Not necessily heavy, but it never stops.

Wait, was wind from every angle a drawback? That seems appealing to me...

Loc Ness Park in Blaine, MN is a 27 hole, clockwise loop. It's set up in 3 sets of nine holes, so you do 3 laps if you play all the diff. positions, although a few holes have only two positions, but they are well marked which is which.

You're right! It IS appealing!

Not only does the angle of the wind change because you are moving around 360 degrees over 9 holes, but it can be quite different from the first time you went around too. Perhaps ever-changing wind from ever-changing angles says it better?

If you have seen the Park Circle DGC maps page (view from link below), you will notice this course is within the Charleston peninsula (between 2 major rivers - Ashley and Cooper) and not far from the Atlantic Ocean as well. Nobody complains about feeling an ocean breeze here, especially in the Summer! ;)

I just played Park Circle about an hour ago. There is the Tuesday tournament going on right now. I finished just as they were starting.

I love Park Circle. Rarely bothered by traffic. Lots of open grass, but plenty of trees and brush to make challenging.

I just played Park Circle about an hour ago. There is the Tuesday tournament going on right now. I finished just as they were starting.

I love Park Circle. Rarely bothered by traffic. Lots of open grass, but plenty of trees and brush to make challenging.

Going to play at 2pm.....where you at Gamecock? How close to the course? Im 10 minutes away.

Perhaps a poor transition between paragraphs on my part.

The wind, from every direction and persistent and substantial, is a positive. Figuring out how to deal with different winds is a fun aspect of disc golf.

I should have stuck an "....on the other hand...." between those two aspects.

I played it yesterday. Compared to most who play in the Tuesday doubles (which teams a pro and an am together), I'm usually a major liability as a partner. LOL

I love it too, which is why I felt compelled to build a significant web site for it.

Going to play at 2pm.....where you at Gamecock? How close to the course? Im 10 minutes away.

I live about 15 minutes away (in Windsor Hill Plantation) - IF no traffic problem and I catch all of the traffic lights green. LOL

The City of North Charleston Parks Department went quite a bit overboard in "thinning out" some clumps of bushes, vines and trees on Park Circle DGC. At least one local DGer described it this way "Park Circle is in Ruins"... It's not that bad, but it's still disconcerting...

Frankly, I about flipped out when I saw this going on! I ran up to a bulldozer that was butchering bushes in an area that could cause a new safety hazard (due to drives leaving the park). I asked the female bulldozer operator "Do I need to lay down in front of the bushes to get you to stop?". She cut it off.

I asked why beautiful 50+ year old azalea bushes (much larger than typical) were being wiped out? She explains that, supposedly, there were complaints about a vagrant living on the course. The other excuse, uh I mean reason, mentioned was there were complaints about DGers whizzing in the bushes.

I tried to explain the bushes she was wiping out help to keep errant throws inside the park and that, if those bushes are gone, it can be a safety issue.

I also stated if DGers are being seen peeing in the bushes, thinning them out may result in MORE complaints about that. I asked who made this decision.

She told me "Well, the City of North Charleston owns this park, not your local disc golf club". That just got me more upset! I replied "This is just NUTS!".

She did give me the supervisor's name and it took awhile to track down his phone number, but I called. Naturally, this older gentleman in charge had never played disc golf and never thought about how changes will affect play.

I expressed my personal concerns as a local individual that loves this course.

I also invited him to play and/or observe a round so he can see which bushes DGers will like thinned out and which are important to remain as is for safety.

He did explain they plan to plant lots of "better" trees and bushes in this area.

If anybody reading that has seen the "devastation", what do YOU think of it?

I finally got to play there the other day. I had a good time! I didn't realize that it could get that busy on the course. I think I was in the middle of about 4 or 5 groups. Spent to much time looking for a disc, and they all caught up with me. I finally joined forces with two guys that I was behind. I'd definitely play here again!

other than the roads, i saw quite a few overlapping fairways. someone remind me not to play this course as i dont want to get hit in the face with a disc.

while i like the concept of the course (great use of available land), how busy would those roads be? no only for the crossings, but also for the stray discs