• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Evolution Enigma

Nenja

Eagle Member
Finally the distance driver from Discmania, produced by Latitude 64 is here.

When I saw the metallic EO stamped Enigma drop, before even announcing the flight numbers I wasn't sure but then I realized what a sweet thrower it could make and ordered two.

I have nothing but faith in the Evolution line and early reports is deeper DDx or more stable Trespass. I've always dreamt about a speed 12 Flow and never gave the Recoil a chance, this might be it!

Anyone threw one?

This disc got big potential, wide and deep rim, more fade but also distance than the Swirly-s CD3.

OOTB 375' slight flex which is practically my max on a leveled field with no wind. It feels like one disc that can replace both the DD and the DD2.
Compared it to a US CD3, straight cd3, slightly OS cd3 a slightly more OS CD3 and a DD2 with glide.

On a slight hyzer it flew a simular line to the Swirly-s CD3 but slightly further and more left, on a flat it flew as far as a 169g Swirly-s CD3 but with a slightly bigger fade and on a slight anny it faded out slightly too early but still almost went as far as a percent slight turnover with penned CD3 and DD2 at 385'...

Beat in this will be a beast! Goes in the bag as my stable max distance disc.

Attachments

• DSC_1468.jpg
    DSC_1468.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_1470.jpg
    DSC_1470.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 106
  • _20190718_235409.jpg
    _20190718_235409.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 75
The Enigma is close to what I expected the Cloud Breaker to be but still more stable than I expected. It's fairly similar in stability to my flat glow c-line PD2 but with less fade. It seems to hold anhyzer longer than the PD2 as well.

I was able to get it out to 450 but only by giving it anhyzer out of my hand. Much more stable than and not quite as long as my S-DDx, but I can see it breaking in to a bomber fairly soon.

Thrown one a couple of dozen times. Pretty darn glidey and long when you get the angle right. It was just sometimes hard to gauge how much turn it would have. Headwinds I couldnt really figure it out.

Ended up selling mine now when I can get almost the same price than what I paid for new. Partly due to congestion in my bag, especially in the distance driver section. Glow PD2s and DD3s are still battling it out and the Rampages reign supreme for max distance. Dont really need a newcomer on the block.

Will sure give them another chance when the stock release rolls along.

I wonder how they compare to my pop-top (read: overstable) shrykes? They are VERY glidey with not much turn at all. Think of it as a nicely, gently beat in destroyer. Thoughts? Sounds very similar.

Mine just came in. No idea how it's going to fly, but the shape makes me think Ballista Pro. The plastic feels as good, to me, as any plastic I have ever thrown.

I'll preface this in saying I have not touched a DD3 so I can't compare it, but I'll assume a few things based on what I've seen. I threw a 173g and 175g Enigma around for about a half hour this evening and I really like the feel and flight of these.

I've spent the most time throwing D2s and Raiders, throwing 430-460' golf lines with both. The Enigma was more comfortable than both in hand. It's probably due to these being 12 speed and D2s/Raiders being 13, but getting a solid grip felt natural and easy. Neither Enigma I threw had a lot of dome, but they weren't board flat either. This didn't take away from the glide, which is every bit of the 5 listed. The 173 flipped up if thrown with a little hyzer, stayed straight for most of the flight before fading. The fade was a nice forward fade, which I like. The 175 didn't flip up quite as much if thrown with the same amount of hyzer; just had more fade, less distance, as expected. Thrown flat the 173 turned a hair, but still flew straight for most of the flight before fading. With anhy, it held the turn for the first half of the flight but still wanted to get to straight and fade. The 175 was just more stable.

Overall, these fly like a beat in Destroyer clone like a D2, Raider, and [I'm assuming] DD3, but less overall left and right movement. They're definitely still on the stable-overstable side of distance drivers, but they want to spend most of the flight staying straight. The flight numbers are right on IMO. I'm very eager to see how these age, in both flight and feel. This Neo plastic feels really great.

I just picked up two DD3s but still no enigmas. However, when compared against my main DD (pop top shrykes), they are much straighter but just as long. The shrykes required some turn to get max d when thrown flat but the DD3s did not. It was really strange how much glide they had and sneaky distance they achieved by not turning at all.

My point is it sounds from peoples' experiences with the enigma that it is nearly identical to the DD3. I wonder why they would make two nearly identical discs? Maybe the enigma was supposed to be more US?

I wonder why they would make two nearly identical discs? Maybe the enigma was supposed to be more US?

Enigmas are more understable, just not a lot more understable. I think DD3s have a stronger fade, probably a little more HSS, but they both have share the tendency in staying straight for the majority of their flight, depending on the power they're given.

Part of what you touched on could be Discmania wanted the highly-sought after Destroyer clone in their Originals line and they wanted to introduce a highly-sought after distance driver in their new Evolution line. Based on who is manufacturing the plastic, I assume the Neo Enigma will wear a lot faster than S-line DD3. While they're both very similar discs I think they're catering to different enough consumers.

Enigma is definitely more under stable compared to a DD3. I've heard a lot of people comparing Enigma to be somewhere in between a DD3 and DDx. I find this to be true, but closer to a DDx compared to a DD3. I got a full ride out of the Enigma everytime I threw it. Another thing I like about the Enigma is when it starts to fade, it is still pushing forward. This should give a couple of feet extra. A lot of Destroyers, even those that are fairly beat in, likes to hook left when the fade kicks in.

I get the sense that Enigma wasn't as angle sensitive as a DD3. When I missed my angles with Enigma and threw it with more hyzer than anticipated, it still flipped up. The DD3 I have that is beat in, is still more angle sensitive imo.

For me the Enigma was easier to get up to speed, had a lot of glide even though the top was fairly flat, it had a small dome. It's not a good headwind disc.

I really liked the Enigma, I'm not sure I will bag it however. For those who think a DD3 is just a bit to OS, Enigma is definitely a good catch IMO.

I've ordered 5 Primals (173 x3, 174, 175)

I normally bag Proto Raiders and domey Lucid Trespass. The Raiders are for wind and the Trespass is basically everything else. I'm not sure why but I keep seeking a disc to replace the Trespass. I say not sure why because for me it is a unicorn disc that flips up nice, has a little turn, and a small fade. Hitting them hard (but not silly) I can get great distance. Easily what a Ballista or Shryke gets me but with much more control and predictability.

The tech specs on the Enigma are near identical to the Trespass except 2.2cm wing vs 2.1.

I'm hoping that the slightly bigger wing gets me the additional distance I've been wanting out of the Trespass but with close to the same control.

Any new input on this disc? For folks who have been throwing them a while, how does it compare to a DDx, DD3, Destroyer?

Can anyone with calipers please let me know how the rim of this disc measures up relative to a destroyer/wraith/ddx?

TIA

I've ordered 5 Primals (173 x3, 174, 175)

I normally bag Proto Raiders and domey Lucid Trespass. The Raiders are for wind and the Trespass is basically everything else. I'm not sure why but I keep seeking a disc to replace the Trespass. I say not sure why because for me it is a unicorn disc that flips up nice, has a little turn, and a small fade. Hitting them hard (but not silly) I can get great distance. Easily what a Ballista or Shryke gets me but with much more control and predictability.

The tech specs on the Enigma are near identical to the Trespass except 2.2cm wing vs 2.1.

I'm hoping that the slightly bigger wing gets me the additional distance I've been wanting out of the Trespass but with close to the same control.

I also throw Raiders and Trespasses. As such I'm curious to know your thoughts on the Enigma. How did it fly for you? And how does it feel relative to those other two molds?

Any new input on this disc? For folks who have been throwing them a while, how does it compare to a DDx, DD3, Destroyer?

I bag 2 Enigmas, 1 Forge and 1 Neo, both max weight.

Forge: This thing started out surprising overstable (I had read they were more understable). More overstable than some Glow PD2s slightly less stable than a new Cloudbreaker (haven't thrown stock DD3). No turn on a flat release, but had good glide and a nice forward fade. I was able to get some big distance (450+) by flexing them. It's breaking in now and will flip up and turn out of a shallow hyzer before fading.

Neo: This one is newer and flies really similar to a Glow DDx (most overstable version). It replaced my Glow DDx because it has better glide (Glow didn't have the usual crazy DDx glide). Thrown flat, it has a mild turn and the same forward fade as the Forge. The fade is stronger than the Glow DDx.

I'm not familiar with Lat64 plastic so I'm interested to see how quickly the Neo breaks in. Right now it's more overstable than the Forge but it started out less stable so we'll see.

Right now I bag PD2s for overstable stuff and one DDx for long turnovers but I could easily see the Enigmas replacing the DDx once they break in more.

I also throw Raiders and Trespasses. As such I'm curious to know your thoughts on the Enigma. How did it fly for you? And how does it feel relative to those other two molds?

I wasn't able to do the testing I wanted with winter arriving. I don't get a proper feel for a disc in winter. Discs are too cold and stiff to grip properly. Footing is also an issue.

So I got some throws in but not enough to make a clear decision.

But what it seemed like to me was the Enigma was more HSS than a Trespass. Quite like a Lucid X Trespass.

Given the winter I wasn't able to see if I could get the disc to flip up from a small hyzer (that would be down to the conditions and generally playing a winter course where I didn't really need an Enigma)

If I'm honest I think my set up will be Raiders for distance (I just need to add a Bio version which hopefully will be similar to a Trespass) and then CD2s

The Enigma will get more throws in spring and summer and I'll make a better decision at that time but on my very very limited testing so far I don't think it will make my bag

Latest posts