• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What bag is in my future

alfonseski

Birdie Member
Bear with me, cause this is going to be long

So I started playing disc golf, 2 and a half months ago. Seems short yeah but I have been out a ton. Oh and there is another key detail, I played Club ultimate for the past 15 years. So yeah I know a little bit about disc physics. Now is throwing a lid the same as throwing those crazy things, certainly not. I would say its like if you are a really good skier and try ice skating. Its not the same thing but you will learn it much faster than someone who has tried neither.
As you might imagine I have tried lots of discs. Pretty cool really, in Ultimate there is only one kind, all the time. In disc golf there is like 1000 kinds. Its like Christmas at 6 all over again. So why write now? Well something clicked recently. I mean I have lots to work on(putting!) but all of the sudden I am getting birdies on holes that I have never had that chance on before. A big part of it is I have been working on my driving form, and am realizing discs I can really throw.

Anyway they put a course in around here and myself and many ultimate buddies would come out and play with our ultimate discs. It was fun so I would play alone to get better. I ran into some guys who were good with real discs, the rest is history. So here is what I currently have in my bag. I will try and list the discs in Chronological order.

As I said I have been working on my drives. It frustrated me to no end that I could not throw very far at first when my backhand in Ultimate was huge(I am RHBH. So I am getting out around 350 now and still working on the form. I also can throw sidearm, and will occasionally off the tee(definitely for some approaches). My distance though is not as good as my backhand. So to start I bought a starter innova kit and a champion Boss. Immediately lost the jaguar and Boss, first day. Next I bought a DX cheetah and that was the first disc I could throw. But our course is loaded with trees and after about 3 weeks it was done. Lead in from there

Champion Sidewinder: I can throw this disc pretty well but it finishes pretty hard left, and of my discs that do that I can throw two others better and farther. Though it is neon green so if I am worried about a throw and losing a disc it comes out.
Champion Beast: Never much liked this disc, it was a tie dye color hard to find in leaves, scared to throw it. HOWEVER, recently this along with one other disc is my go to distance driver. I can put this one out there. Though its currently second to another disc in the same slot
Champion Rhyno: Meh
MVP AMP Neutron: Lady told me it was better than a buzz. I could never throw this disc well, still can't, turns over on me.
MVP Tesla Neutron: decent disc, I can throw it ok, but something else was always higher on the totem pole.
MVP Tangent Neutron: GAME CHANGER. Took me a while to figure it out because in this similar timeframe I got the Vibram Ibex and thought I liked it more. Wow this thing holds a line like nobodies business, it is the mid range go to for anything where I have to curve around something, sometimes for all mid range shots, depends.
Vibram Trak: Early on I could throw this better than most and got me through those dark early days. These days I never grab it.
Vibram Ibex, as said above I liked it for a while then realized how amazing the Tangent was.
At this point I started researching a TON. I wanted to get some good discs, get better. Ordered 5 discs from Marshall St. Came in one day.
Lattitude 64 Opto Bolt: This disc is crazy, and to be honest is probably my longest distance disc. But I kind of fear it. If I am behind and want to take a chance on a long hole it comes out, not consistently right now though
Lattitude 64 Opto Flow: I could never throw this as well as I wanted to. I just lost it hours ago. I have not given up on it but its an awful pinkish red color(hard to find) so who knows. Another one may be in my future
C-Line PD Freak: I don't get it. I have not given up on it but for now it needs lots of field work
Innova Champion Wraith: So this disc filled a very specific slot in my bag, if a hole goes left this disc or another comes out down the list. I like how it does exactly what its supposed to do.
Lattitude 64 Opto Saint: Ok, so there it is. I knew I liked this early on, but these days, yeah this is it. This disc goes straight as I want and far, I can also Anhyzer it beautifully. This is the one!
Went down to a course with a shop and bought a few more discs.
MVP Proton Anode: This is pretty good, and I thought this was my putter for sure but has been usurped
Innova Champion Destroyer: I know, similar to the wraith, I usually use the destroyer instead, they fly pretty similar and kill dog leg lefts.
Lattitude 64 Recycled Mace: Great disc, love the plastic. JUST edged out by my tangent. I still throw it now and then.
I wanted a Westside sword but instead ended up buying a Dynamic Discs Biofusion Trespass(they seemed so close to each other seemed silly to buy both) That disc seems to fast for me, cannot do much with it.
Lattitude 64 Saint Pro Moonshine: Wow, amazing! Love this thing. If I need distance and it does not need to be straight as hell this just edges out my beast. It also outdistances the saint and was wondering if the moonshine plastic has anything to do with it(people were talking it up)
Innova Champion TL: This thing is new to me, need to break it in, seemed like I needed some lower speed stuff. Not using it much but we will see.
Finally
Found a beat to **** unnamed classic Dynamic Disc Judge: So where has this disc been all of my life. PERFECT. This is exactly like a ultimate disc but smaller, same flight patterns. Anyway anything straight 200 feet and in this thing gets used over almost anything, game changer

Sorry I said it would be long:) So in summary I am mostly using my Saint, Saint Pro, Judge, Tangent, and destroyer/wraith, a little beast too.

I am at a point where I am thinking about my bag next year. My goal was to get up to speed quick this fall so I can compete next year. So here is what I am thinking

Get a few more Saints, try gold plastic, a different weight, another Saint Pro, same idea. 100% getting another Judge. I need a backup Tangent. Probably choose between wraith and destroyer and then get a Star plastic version of the one I choose also. Get a beast I can find in a good color that I am not afraid to throw. Is there any other things you all think I should try?

I know people will say Teebird, and I may get one. However it seems to me if I am over 200 feet from the hole I will throw my saint or saint pro, under I throw a mid or putter. Not sure if a inbetween disc is going to come out of the bag.

You have probably noticed a common plastic theme. After destroying that cheetah I decided on the most durable plastic(champion, opto). Any advice on others I should try? Ok thats it, needed to get that out, in the real world not interacting with too many people thus far that I can chat with about this stuff.

Gotta go gotta throw!

Your going threw the common problem of disc craze. I'd pick up a mako/atlas/comet. Learn to throw those straight and far and you'll push destroyers out to 400 in no time.

Latest posts