• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Evolution of your Putters

How many different putters have you used since you started playing>

• 1-found one I liked right off and stuck with it, Cradle to Grave

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • 2-3 Took a couple of tries to get it right

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • 4-6 The Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Too many to count

Votes: 15 14.4%

• Total voters
How long are you guys saying you spent with each of these molds?

I was talking 2+ months. The challenger was there right about that long too.

champ Aero
dx Classic Aviar
ss Wizard
s Challenger
ss Magic
organic Voodoo
s Challenger

dgdave said:

Yeah I didn't mention any that were less than 3 months because really, just throwing a putter for a few weeks doesn't really let you get used to it.

Aviar p&a
Aero
Rhyno
Juju
Polecat
X Putt'r
Banger
SInus AP/SP
Aviar-X
KC Aviar
Wizard
Warlock
Zone
Voodoo
Spike
Pure
XD

right now, I've been putting with my XD

Frank Delicious said:
dgdave said:

Yeah I didn't mention any that were less than 3 months because really, just throwing a putter for a few weeks doesn't really let you get used to it.

Yup. Usually it takes a week or two to adust to it, then there's the time that you absolutely kill with it, then you suck, then you take it out. I don't think that really count as you switching to a new mold. Dave D has said that a quick fix for putting is to switch molds, which I totally believe. It makes you concentrate on form and what not. Then you get back into old habbits.

I've only seriously used 2 putters in my 6 years of playing. I started with an AviarX, but switched to the Wizard in 2004.

This past year, I made the transition to a lighter one for putting. When I'm having issues putting, I normally switch the weight or feel of my Wizard.

Haven't been playing long, but I play intensely (3-5 games a day some days, multiple times a week, plus putting practice at home).

Started out with a star aviar on the recommendation of my friend. Didn't like it and when I lost it in some water I happily started putting with my buzz, which I did better with.

Then that same person bought me a kc pro aviar because he didn't like watching me putt with a mid. I liked it better than the star, mainly just because I had better form and understood the role of each disc better.

After getting form down more so I could utilize my power, I started taking the aviar to the teepad on shorter holes. I noticed the deep rim catching on my fingers when driving with it so I lookedfor a lower profile putter.

I came across the pro rhyno in the shop, loved how it felt and bought it right away. Fell in love with it. Super dependable for drives compared to the domey putters and I sank a few 100 foot + putts with it, covincing me it was "the one." I bought a stack or pro rhynos for putting practice and a champ and star for woodsy drives.

Then I bought a ss wizard because the plastic felt very good to me and everyone here raved about them. It took me a while to get used to a domey, glidey putter again but gradually and grudgingly I started using the wizard for my putts, after thinking I'd never replacemy rhynos. I still relied on the rhyno for 280 foot drives because I'd often flip my wiz over giving it that much power, but as I improve m technique I find myself more
and more comfortable throwing the wizard off the teepad. These days I often don't carry a rhyno anymore.

I still brig out a pro rhyno sometimes and I putt well with them, especially my super worn and understable tuned one that I can throw 100 - 300 feet with zero fade, but I still stick with the wizard. I'm still not as confident driving with the wizard but I've hit metal with it on 260 foot drives so I know I'm getting used to it.

I've tried out a voodoo, zone, ringer, pig and r pro aviar and none of them held my attention.

Throwing the wiz and the occaisional rhyno unless I find something better. Either way I think the disc is less important than the form of the throw.

i learned to play about 11 years ago when i was 13/14. i played a few times a month when i visited my family in austin.then i slowed down for a year or 2.came back when i was 16 and started playing @ my local course after finding out my uncle and some other friends were into it too.i stayed playing casually and not caring to improve for probably 4 years.early 20's to now ive been playing hardcore 3 times a week and all weekend long trying to improve my form and relationship with discs.from the time that i started til my early 20's, i only owned 2 aviar pna's only reason i had 2 was because i left one in a damn basket one time and had to beat the other one for a while to get to my liking.

aviar pna for few years .
moved to omegas for a few weeks
back to aviars for another couple years
early this year i tried my hand at challengers for a couple weeks
moved to wizards for a bit
then voodoos for a few days :?
back to wizards :)
settled on magics :mrgreen:

lets see here, i have been playing for about 5 years now

started with a beat KC aviar
moved to magics for a long time
switched to an aviar
back to magics
focus for a few weeks
now im using a VP and a focus

Been playing for around 6 months.

Aviar PnA--->A few weeks
S Magnet--->4 months
S Wizard--->A month

Settled on wizard after losing my magnet in the ocean. Did well with the aviar but I was borrowing it and wanted something softer. I still throw a lighter Kc Aviar for longer putts, but will soon be buying a few new wizards and dropping the Aviar.

Aviar PnA (first year)
Challenger (2nd year, still drive with and use for longer approach shots)
Magnet Hard and Soft (my forever and always)

Been playing seriously for about 3 years, messin around for 4.

Rubber Putter- When I was messing around and playin with 2 discs.
Soft APX- Starting to get more serious, used for about a half a year.
D Magnet- Used for about the past 3 years, I don't see changing anytime soon.

Not entirely on topic, but one of the guys I disc with all the time showed up for a tag match today and announced that he had a present for me. (I had recently given him a putter that I haven't thrown in years. ) I followed him over to his open trunk where he produces the 8th wonder of the world. Dude had and gave me the identical twin to my favorite Challenger. Same plastic, weight, and tourney stamp as the first one I ever got, and still use, only almost brand new. SCORE! Gotta love some goodwill and karma.
KP

U2
Putt'r
Rattler (several times)
86 softee
Rippa (worked really well for a long time, but I needed to get a "big boy" putter)
Magic

I also dabbled with
Voodoo (may try in the future)
Aviar
Sonic
and maybe some others I have forgotten

I have a feeling the Rattler will return over and over again because I really like that disc.

My GF putts with her coyotes even though I bought her some avairs. She likes shallower discs and I'm thinking about getting her an XD to try.

The very first disc i bought myself was a sweet "S" wizard. Nice and firm. Had that for a year and then lost it in a lake away from home. Lost two more putters that felt and flew the same way in a month. Its just to hard to find consistant gateway plastic and i dont like the floppy stuff so i had to make a switch. I was noticing that the new wizards were just to stable for the way i throw (lots of hyzer for putter drives) Picked up some PnA aviars the last 2 months and havent looked back. Was thinking about picking up some KC aviars but figured they would be to stable for my style as well.

Latest posts