• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Extremely wooded courses

Whoa, Pier park is pretty much wide open with tons of space. I'd second Summit because of how short the holes are compared with the tightness - that course is ridiculous IMO. Paw Paw is quite tight and has a *few* holes which play a little bit pokey, BUT good players consistently shoot well there and can manage even the tightly wooded holes out there - definitely not because of "luck", but learning how to play percentages and make good decisions...

I nominate Squirrel Lake Park for the Charlotte area. It's only a 12 holer but the number of trees down the "fairways" are insane.

The entire East Roswell Park except for 1,3,4,5

Example:
d9078892.jpg

Whoa, Pier park is pretty much wide open with tons of space. I'd second Summit because of how short the holes are compared with the tightness - that course is ridiculous IMO. Paw Paw is quite tight and has a *few* holes which play a little bit pokey, BUT good players consistently shoot well there and can manage even the tightly wooded holes out there - definitely not because of "luck", but learning how to play percentages and make good decisions...

Pier is the most wooded that I've played on. I'm sure there are worse out there.

What's worse is when the course is heavily wooded and there is extreme changes in elevation (i.e. playing on a mountainside at +8,000 ft.). I just got back from playing 30 holes at Phantom Falls in Pine, Colorado.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3129

I got raped. Shot a whopping +20. I did have an ace run where I launched a thumber through an opening in the canopy and parked the disc 6 inches from the basket. Only highlight of my day.

I actually clicked on this thread to see if you had posted this Dave (and I was going to if you hadn't). It's a ridiculous course, and something like 14 of the holes are pretty much like that, it's not just a couple pinball holes. I could be wrong, but none of the other pictures posted look like they have anything on Summit.

Fredrickson DGC in Poulsbo,Wa. Look it up and check out the course pics. Short course but demands accuracy.Still fairly new and rough which adds to the difficulty. Fun for rec. players but skilled players kill this course. Beautiful,and quiet. Deer,bears,owls,etc.too.

The entire East Roswell Park except for 1,3,4,5

Example:
d9078892.jpg

To be fair, either of the other two pads (red or black) on hole 14 (the one in your pic) have clear sight lines to the basket. When I'm on my game, parking it isn't really a problem (I throw a Mako straight down the pipe from the reds, and usually anhyzer a Stingray down the far left side from the blacks) -- I deuce that hole about as often as any other on the course from those pads (lately I haven't been on my game, and usually hit something, but that's because I'm missing the line, not because it's not there). I do hate the blue pad though -- rarely hit that gap between the second and third clumps of trees.

Some would argue with you about 1 also -- there are trees in the middle of the fairway, though they should be easy enough to avoid, and the schule on either side can be pretty punishing.

Since I live next to it and it's pretty much the only course I play regularly, I'm used to it by now -- most of the rest of the pics here look like a typical day on the course to me.

There are plenty of challenging wooded holes here in the Pac. northwest.
Some of these are most successfully navigated with a thumber, where the disc is completely vertical as it passes through the most narrow gaps between the trees, travelling forward in a corkscrew roll.
Its a handy shot.

Here is a personal fave , #17 at Twin Rivers, Wa.

From the tee
3918911854_de1c23817f_z.jpg

and from the midpoint, basket is right behind the tree dead center in the photo, in the distance.
3918911856_700e7878d4_z.jpg

And for all you "M'eh, I'd just go up and over with a tommy" guys, its not possible on this hole. The trees are all around you, and 100+ feet high.

There is a lane that follows the meandering path through the trees, and this hole can be parked with a nice S shaped shot, starting with a slow left to right turn and ending with the opposite.

Well, that's over 20 courses and I haven't played any of them. Never even heard of half of them. The course with the rep as being the tightest wooded course in NC is an unlisted private, Borrowed Time. Haven't played it either.

Borrowed Time is open, compared to Summit. I shot just over par at Summit, shots have to be creative, but can be done. There is a ton of pinball there; and most players would feel too much luck involved. Borrowed Time...less so. I gave Summit a decent rating; because I enjoyed it; but most other trusted have bashed the course. It holds no candle to Freitag Park, Forest Junction, Wis; which has no pics. Imagine Summit on steroids; over 6,000 ft. in length from longs to longs. Unfortunately, Freitag has been under water this entire season; as Wisconsin has been wet; and Freitag has water issues to begin with. The course in Rockton Illinois, also is crazy for modern plastic, more of a "lid" type of course.

The pictures don't do it justice but both Paw Paw, WV courses have punnishing woods holes. THere are a few in particular I don't understand how they got the basket into the woods. The lanes really aare that tight. The open holes are beautiful but the woods ones are simply unreasonable.

I completely agree with this Paw Paw comment, I hate courses/holes like this, a few that come to mind:

Kimball Pines (nick named Pinball Pines) in MI
Pohick in VA
Dr Lawless in MI - I gave it zero stars
the back 9 at Leviathan in MI

To be fair, either of the other two pads (red or black) on hole 14 (the one in your pic) have clear sight lines to the basket. When I'm on my game, parking it isn't really a problem (I throw a Mako straight down the pipe from the reds, and usually anhyzer a Stingray down the far left side from the blacks) -- I deuce that hole about as often as any other on the course from those pads (lately I haven't been on my game, and usually hit something, but that's because I'm missing the line, not because it's not there). I do hate the blue pad though -- rarely hit that gap between the second and third clumps of trees.

Some would argue with you about 1 also -- there are trees in the middle of the fairway, though they should be easy enough to avoid, and the schule on either side can be pretty punishing.

Since I live next to it and it's pretty much the only course I play regularly, I'm used to it by now -- most of the rest of the pics here look like a typical day on the course to me.

The reason I picked that one was because it tells the tale better than a lot of the pics...most of them look a lot more open than they are...you know how pics are...like 2 doesn't even look like an elevation change or six for that matter.

And it wasn't a moan, ERP is still one of my favs...but it IS extremely wooded.

I nominate Squirrel Lake Park for the Charlotte area. It's only a 12 holer but the number of trees down the "fairways" are insane.

Squirrel Lake is tight but there are definitely lines to be hit on each hole but there isn't a lot of room for error.

Latest posts