• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Fairway Driver Help

Alzyurpalz

Bogey Member
So I have my whole bag figured out (Finally!) Except Fairway Drivers.

I carry I Rival that for me is okay but in any kind of wind it seems to flip over. I also have a beat up Recycled Spark that I found but that's kind of the opposite, a little too stable.

I've tried a Champ TeeBird and wasn't a fan of that, as well as the MVP servo.

I throw my E-mac Truth and my Shields really well though, and would like to find a driver mold that flies similarly to those but I can get a little more D and a touch more fade out of.

Thanks!

(My first post other than the Marketplace so take it easy on me)

Also I throw ~330 max RHBH predominant

Seems to me like an overstable Teebird would be exactly what you want. What didn't you like about the champion?

I generally like Champion/Z plastic, but Teebirds seem to excel in Star for some reason.

What didn't you like about the servo/teebird?
The volt is my only real fairway driver I bag right now. Straight to fade when new, straight to more straight when beat up (like mine is). A max weight proton/neutron should have a decent fade to start out with, while a fission could be slightly less stable from the get go. Craves I've found are good for line shaping fairways but they just aren't in my bag right now.

I've been throwing a champ thunderbird recently and have liked that. I like the higher speed since it reaches into the shorter D.D. gap and is slow enough to handle most fairway shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me like an overstable Teebird would be exactly what you want. What didn't you like about the champion?

I generally like Champion/Z plastic, but Teebirds seem to excel in Star for some reason.

It hasn't been in the bag for a bit, and my form has probably improved a little since I took it out, but I remember it just flying more stable than I anticipated.

I've been considering the Eagle but I'm not sure if that's just a more stable teebird or if you really get the -1 turn. talking about the X-mold.

I would really like to throw out the Alpha from Mint Discs. Truly is a fantastic and extremely versatile mold. I think it could easily be a work horse driver for pretty much every golfers bag.

Sounds like you need a Sexton Firebird. :D Not really, at 330' of max distance, you should prolly be looking at either slower fairways or understable-ish control drivers. Maybe a Discmania S-CD2, Star Eagle, or Prodigy 400S F2

What didn't you like about the servo/teebird?
The volt is my only real fairway driver I bag right now. Straight to fade when new, straight to more straight when beat up (like mine is). A max weight proton/neutron should have a decent fade to start out with, while a fission could be slightly less stable from the get go. Craves I've found are good for line shaping fairways but they just aren't in my bag right now.

The Servo I think was supposed to have that -1 turn and mine was a 167 neutron that never even thought about turning, I thought it was even more stable than my teebird and pretty close to my spark. The Crave has been on my radar as well.

I've been throwing a champ thunderbird recently and have liked that. I like the higher speed since it reaches into the shorter D.D. gap and is slow enough to handle most fairway shots.

I throw a Star Thunderbird and a Pro Thunderbird, the Star is my headwind driver, and I haven't thrown the Pro enough to report on that one quite yet.

If anyone has seen Paul throw his TeeBird3, that is the flight I's like to see. That real straight with a hair of finish at the end, I'm assuming if I threw a TB3 it would just be even beefier than a normal TeeBird though.

I would really like to throw out the Alpha from Mint Discs. Truly is a fantastic and extremely versatile mold. I think it could easily be a work horse driver for pretty much every golfers bag.

I was thinking about getting one. Sound like you highly recommend. What would you compare it to, or is it in a class of its own?

How old and beat is your rival? New Icon could be what you want.
Rival, Spark, Teebird all feel pretty similar to me but there are differences in plastic and as you experienced with the same amount of use I would say the Rival loses stability more and faster than a Teebird and a Spark starts out more OS and ... well mine isn't old enough for me to comment on how it beats in, but its Trilogy so I expect it to lose significant stability.

My Star Eagle and Star Teebirds both started out flying kinda similar off the shelf but that -1 on the HSS of the Eagle quickly became reality where the TBs held the stability longer. I stopped bagging the Eagle but its a flip to turn over now and my Star TB has gotten to the point it flys like the Rival that flew off into the sunset never to return so I have a Metal Flake TB for the more OS needs. Not 100% sold on the Spark as a replacement but i keep throwing it because I want to see how it flys with some seasoning.

Strange about the servo, mine is pretty turn happy. I've got a lightweight (158) crave that is pretty straight to fade from 275-375 feet that I don't use if you're interested in it.

If anyone has seen Paul throw his TeeBird3, that is the flight I's like to see. That real straight with a hair of finish at the end, I'm assuming if I threw a TB3 it would just be even beefier than a normal TeeBird though.

GSTAR TL3 is this for us mortals, very straight at 300+ with slight but reliable fade. Pairs well with a teebird.

If you max ~330' are you throwing fairways 300-310'? I get that the Spark and Champ Teebird could be more OS than you want. How understable is your Rival though...because on paper that would be a good bet to me.

I want to suggest either a Star TL or a C-line FD for the McBeth Teebird type shot (they should act at 300' how his Teebirds act at 375'+ for him), the only concern I have is that your Rival isn't trustworthy enough. Keep in mind none of these discs will handle more than a moderate breeze since they'll be HSS -0.5 to -1...real straight fliers in calm conditions but at the cost of flipping in wind. I don't see McBeth throwing his Teebirds in much wind either.

Gstar Teebirds are also a really good disc for a -0/2 type of flight, but they really remind me of my limited experience with Rivals.

Last edited:
If you max ~330' are you throwing fairways 300-310'? I get that the Spark and Champ Teebird could be more OS than you want. How understable is your Rival though...because on paper that would be a good bet to me.

I want to suggest either a Star TL or a C-line FD for the McBeth Teebird type shot (they should act at 300' how his Teebirds act at 375'+ for him), the only concern I have is that your Rival isn't trustworthy enough. Keep in mind none of these discs will handle more than a moderate breeze since they'll be HSS -0.5 to -1...real straight fliers in calm conditions but at the cost of flipping in wind. I don't see McBeth throwing his Teebirds in much wind either.

Gstar Teebirds are also a really good disc for a -0/2 type of flight, but they really remind me of my limited experience with Rivals.

The Rival is pretty light at 166, it's Pinnacle plastic. It flies pretty TeeBird like it just goes way right for me on the open holes with wind.

The FD is another I've been thinking of, I'd love to just grab an FD, a TL, an Eagle etc. and just try em all out but that'd cost too much and I've got like 2 boxes of discs I don't throw already :doh:

I was thinking about getting one. Sound like you highly recommend. What would you compare it to, or is it in a class of its own?

I definitely highly recommend the Alpha, Eternal plastic in particular. All the plastics are really nice though.

It's an extremely controllable, versatile, glider and sneaky long mold. If I have to make some sort of comparison I'd say it's like as if the TeeBird and PD/Thunderbird had a child. I feel the Alpha is truly the best of both worlds.

What I love the most is when thrown on a forced turn over is how the Alpha rides the line but doesn't bite over but actually just slowly fights back to Flat then hyzers out. The lateral movement of the Alpha is slower than the PD/Thunderbird which I enjoy. I can't say enough positive things about the Alpha truly. If I was forced to say something that I think some may not enjoy would be the amount of dome on some of them.

Latest posts