• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway Driver Lineup

I carry three molds currently.
River-2 Optos, one for annys and one that's straight
Gazelles- 2 Champ Glow, one for hard fade, one with slight fade
GL Trident- Utilities

I am currently testing out the FD in place of the straight River. I'm hoping for a straight driver without as much HSS as the Rivers.

173g opto river-hyzer flip,turnover driver, straight powered down.

172g Z Tracker-stable fairway driver, main fore-hand approach disc.

175g opto XXX- MEATHOOK

Champ Teebird (newer stable)
2 Star Teebirds (1 newer, 1 beat)
Champ Valk (flat 4x)
Champ Valk (little dome 5x)
GL River

My fairways are pretty slim since I cracked my pro line Leo.
Beat 11x cal teebird, straight.
Spd's cover everything else while I wait on an order of fd's

But my fh is almost on par with my bh so the pd's can cover 99% of my shots.
I also keep an 11x firebird in the bag for OS and utility shots.

this weekend:

Z Predator
Champ Teebird
Glo Z Stalker
Beat Champ Valk

on the bench:

Z Pred
Champ EX
Champ EL
DX EX

It was a hard decision not to include the TB. I carry two, a 177 beat-to-hell 11x TB and a beat 172 DX in the bag, but they're they're for bigger distances. I suppose the heavy 11x wouldn't go much farther than a fairway, anyway, but it's mainly a headwind driver.

I like my Sentinel as my get out of trouble disc. I know it's shorter, but I can throw it on a wicked hyzer that I would only ever use a Whippet for, anyways. Do you use the Whippet for long smooth hyzers, too?

I use the teebird more for a long smooth hyzer, as I can't get the Whippet to hold it all the way before its overstability forces it to the ground, at least for me.

I use it more as a do-it-all utility disc. I throw forehand also, so it can do just about anything except go straight. I throw it on severe dog legs, it skips really well if you need to throw low to get out of the shule, works great for shorter overheads, in the CE, if you put the right tomahawk/thumber angle on it, it'll make a sharp turn and then slide on it's head for a good distance (depending on the ground). There's others. IMO, it's just about the best utility disc out there.

I've seen the FD mentioned a couple of times. I just picked one up last week to try out at a friend's suggestion, but I know very little about Discmania. Looking forward to giving it a throw though.

I carry a KC Pro TeeBird and TM and Gold Line Rivers.

OP, you don't consider TeeBirds (1.7cm rim width) to be fairway drivers but consider the River (1.8cm rim width) to be one? GG and many others throw Rocs 400'+. Does that make it no longer a midrange?

I've been using the Ascent (over) and Trak (neutral) but I'm still trying to settle on the under. Currently using a slightly beat Pro Leo for under but I"m open for other ideas.

I use a light weight Polaris LS (millennium plastic) for the same role you use the pro Leo for. Polaris LS is easy to get at any Academy Sports and Outdoors.

OP, you don't consider TeeBirds (1.7cm rim width) to be fairway drivers but consider the River (1.8cm rim width) to be one? GG and many others throw Rocs 400'+. Does that make it no longer a midrange?

Well, I did want discussion on the thread, too. This is good. To me it's just a bit longer distance, so I don't consider it a fairway. I have two in the bag, but I just don't throw any high speed stuff really. Nor can I launch a Roc 400+. I'd imagine that same guy must throw a TB 600+ feet, but more power to him, as I'd still call on a TB for more distance than a fairway.

I will agree that it is an awesome utility disc. Especially a new KC or something, that thing is an overstable monster. the TB can really beat into a few different discs, all with such varying uses. If I had a brand new Champ TB, I wouldn't be able to throw it as far as I'd like, anyway.

...oh, and as far as rim width, that's a good point, but I like to think stability helps a lot more for me. The River is pretty flippy, but the TB, although smaller in rim width, seems to act more like a distance driver.

With no real set definition of a fairway, you are going to get responses like that. I don't consider my River, Pred, or xXx as fairway drivers, but there are people mentioning them in this thread.

With no real set definition of a fairway, you are going to get responses like that. I don't consider my River, Pred, or xXx as fairway drivers, but there are people mentioning them in this thread.

The XXX and River are 7 speed drivers, just like the Teebird.

The Predator is a 9 speed driver. I agree that it's not a fairway driver.

I would call 6 and 7 speed drivers: fairway drivers.

Well, I did want discussion on the thread, too. This is good. To me it's just a bit longer distance, so I don't consider it a fairway. I have two in the bag, but I just don't throw any high speed stuff really. Nor can I launch a Roc 400+. I'd imagine that same guy must throw a TB 600+ feet, but more power to him, as I'd still call on a TB for more distance than a fairway.

I will agree that it is an awesome utility disc. Especially a new KC or something, that thing is an overstable monster. the TB can really beat into a few different discs, all with such varying uses. If I had a brand new Champ TB, I wouldn't be able to throw it as far as I'd like, anyway.

...oh, and as far as rim width, that's a good point, but I like to think stability helps a lot more for me. The River is pretty flippy, but the TB, although smaller in rim width, seems to act more like a distance driver.

I think you're missing the point I was trying to make about the TeeBird. While it may have the potential to match the distance of "Distance Drivers" (pretty true of just about any disc, even putters and midranges, if thrown correctly by the right person), it is much more versatile than they could ever be. It has the same consistent flight at much shorter distances as it does at longer than wider rim drivers.

I think that if you're classifying a disc based on distance potential, which is limited by the thrower's ability more than the disc itself, it should be based on distances where it no longer acts like its intended flight path. That is usually achieved at shorter distances.

Take the Discraft Impact. It's rated at 0 stablity. Thrown with max distance in mind, that's true. Try to throw one 150' dead straight, and it becomes an overstable and unreliable pig. While I would throw my Wizard at this stage of my disc time, it wasn't always like that for me. I moved back to the Comet in the stable midrange slot of my bag because of this reason. I could throw both the same distances (the Comet would get there. It just took twice as long) but liked that the Comet was a better all-around mold.

Admittedly, there are exceptions to my rule, but I think it's a better option for grouping discs than using max potential. I also imagine that if you worked with your River's flip enough, you could easily stretch the distance potential into Distance Driver territory.

Z Cyclone 173(broke in)
11x EL 171
11x TB 174
10x EX 165
11 EX 177

I think that if you're classifying a disc based on distance potential, which is limited by the thrower's ability more than the disc itself, it should be based on distances where it no longer acts like its intended flight path. That is usually achieved at shorter distances.

Admittedly, there are exceptions to my rule, but I think it's a better option for grouping discs than using max potential. I also imagine that if you worked with your River's flip enough, you could easily stretch the distance potential into Distance Driver territory.

Well said. I agree with you that rim width is a good classifying factor. As said above, they're the same disc speed, too. Perhaps it's mostly relative, anyways.

Not like many people were reading OP anyways, but let's just let the Bird back in.

I gotta go out today and choose which ones work best for me. i have too much overlap:

164 Fd Jackal
170 Echo star Leo
167 pro leo
168 star leo
169 champ leo
166 star teebird
167 star TL
168 Gl River
172 x-link Ascent

Latest posts