• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

fairways are changin' up

tylerc

Double Eagle Member
currently my set up for fairways:
new champ teebird- overstable
champ teebird- stable to straight
f3- straight to slightly understable
s-line CD- understable
dx leopard- roller/ get out of trouble disc
z zombie- straight to understable
z zombie- straight to overstable

obviously this is a lot of fairways but they are the last part of my game to be redone and I have always thrown premium plastic. but I always feel like the zombies aren't needed, but they bridge the gap between my teebirds and wasps very well. but I am thinking of throwing a line up of dx vipers to replace all of these discs. I have three dx vipers all mostly new 2 are 180 and 1 is a 143. and I plan on getting a champ viper if the dx ones work out in the next few weeks so I will have a lineup more like:
champ viper- overstable
dx viper- straight to stable
dx viper- understable to straight
dx viper- understable

my one problem that I feel like I may run into is my vipers being too slow to reach what my teebirds could. I throw teebirds up to 340ish but then go up to a mamba or destroyer or force. so will vipers be fast enough to fill my entire fairway lineup but be slow enough to fill the shots the zombies filled?
any other thoughts? concerns?
I was thinking that I could throw in a PD and CD for the longer than viper but shorter than destroyers, but that eliminates the entire purpose for switching fairways, which is to carry less discs

I say just stick with your teebirds. pick your favorite understable one and keep the F3. I don't know why you would want to have a whole viper lineup, they are utility discs and super overstable, never heard of anyone cycling vipers?

kinda bored with fairway lineup it has been the same for like 4 months lol, could be fun but it could be really beneficial

kinda bored with fairway lineup it has been the same for like 4 months lol, could be fun but it could be really beneficial

4 months isn't that long with a line up of discs. best thing is to keep working with the discs you know instead of trying a ton of new stuff. nothing wrong with a fairway lineup of teebirds, and a leopard.

just wanted to change up to vipers hoping they will be better than the others

I cycle Vipers for half of my fairways.

If you play in the woods alot, you may want a more point and shoot type of fairway. Even when you've beaten a Viper enough to lose alot of HSS, it can still fade pretty hard at the end. And when they aren't beat, they just fade really hard. It can be tough to get a straight line. Although they're sweet for wide open bomber hole type things.

I'd recommend a beat premium Teebird, TL, Champ Leopard, C FD, Z XL, JLS, or another straight disc to go along with them.

so u throw one or two just for the overstable spot?

best lineup in my opinion would be a worked in star teebird, a champ teebird, your favorite understable fairway and a champ firebird.

best lineup in my opinion would be a worked in star teebird, a champ teebird, your favorite understable fairway and a champ firebird.

I agree. If you don't include your Firebird/Predator/XXX type mega overstable disc this is what I carry:

3 Discs: Champ Glow Teebird, Star TL(beat), Star Leopard (beat)
4 Discs: Champ Glow Teebird, Star TL (beat), Star Leopard (fresh), Star Leopard (beat)
5 Discs: Champ Glow Teebird, Star TL (fresh), Star TL (beat), Star Leopard (fresh), Star Leopard (beat)

I agree. If you don't include your Firebird/Predator/XXX type mega overstable disc this is what I carry:

3 Discs: Champ Glow Teebird, Star TL(beat), Star Leopard (beat)
4 Discs: Champ Glow Teebird, Star TL (beat), Star Leopard (fresh), Star Leopard (beat)
5 Discs: Champ Glow Teebird, Star TL (fresh), Star TL (beat), Star Leopard (fresh), Star Leopard (beat)

:hfive: :thmbup:

so u throw one or two just for the overstable spot?

Right now I have a fresh, super OS Viper, a somewhat beat Viper that still fades pretty hard, but later than a fresh one. It has great glide, and is super on flex shots. Then I have a Z XL for straight or close to straight shots that fade less than the Viper, a new X XL that's a bit less HSS than the Z, and a beat X for hyzerflips and big turns and such. It's working well for me.

As a fellow CLT person, trying to cycle DX way overstable discs in the woods here sounds like a headache.

I have been thinking about what shots are currently missing, one I don't have a super beat viper yet but I have one I can throw some turnovers with. but what shots are u thinking about? or why do u say that would be a headache?

Too many long tunnel/straight shots for fighting overstable fairway drivers for my use here in Charlotte. Most of the newer/less beat-in courses more wooded courses (Nevin, Bradford, Idlewild, Winget, Elon) require holding a line for quite awhile and good fade control, all of which overstable discs make more difficult IMO. I find myself hyzerflipping Leopards and Comets for these straight holes instead of even stable discs like Teebirds/Buzzz.

I've always hoped someone would try this. My concern is that the vipers will taco.

currently I have one that I can hyzerflip dead straight for 325 to 350 and it lands flat but thrown higher will fade a bit, another that will flip up a bit but still has a healthy fade and the third is pure beef I have hardly used it yet
If anyone is interested I could report how the viper cycle is working out on these technical courses

I got two more vipers, one is pretty flippy and the other is dead straight so my cycleing is complete but the two understable ones should cover pretty much all of my turnover needs, seems pretty solid from the few times I have thrown them