• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Farthest you've ever traveled for a round

Once a year I lead a few like-minded folks on a disc golf/car cruise. We hit backroads from Indianapolis to Cincinnati, play two or three courses, get dinner and drive home. Usually leave at dawn, return at dusk. Was gonna go to Kentucky this past spring, but my appendix decided to act up instead.

Live in Ridgecrest, CA (Death Valley/Mojave area). A drive to a "local" course will me a minimum of 2 hours (Bakersfield, CA). A group of us will make an all day trip with one way travel of 2.5 hours (Wrightwood, CA; Sylmar, CA) to 4 hours (Coyote Point at Lake Casitas or Visalia, CA).

Longest day trips?

About 4 hours one time, to play Sugaree, then catch another course on the way home.

Several 2 hour trips to Charlotte, play multiple courses, and return. I've also commuted about 2 hours, each way, to a tournament.

Years ago, when courses weren't as plentiful, some club members would meet early in the morning and take an all-day trek, playing 2-4 courses with about 5-6 hours total drive time.

i used to live about 2.5 hours from a course, so it wasn't uncommon for me to be in my car, head to the store and then decide to just keep driving until i got to the course

2-3 hours drive to play a round is pretty common. not due to a lack of courses in my area but due to the itch to travel and explore new places

there is also a difference between planned trips with friends and spur of the moment solo trips

I hardly travel anywhere for just a single round, or a single day. Iguess I routinely make trips to the twin cities, about 100 miles if i'm going all the way to BRP. Come the end of Feb I'll be traveling like 3000 miles rt for the memorial. I've put something like 100K on my vehicles for the purpose of DG.

In past years when there weren't as many courses, many friends and I have made multiple 2 1/2 hr trips to St. Cloud, MN, Waterloo, IA, and Des Moines, IA, played multiple rounds/courses and headed back home. This last summer my son and I drove 2 hours to Justin Trails in WI and on the way back we hit Twin Lakes DGC in Hokah, MN. I try to bag at least a couple new courses each year, but it requires longer and longer trips these days.

24 miles each way to play a 9 hole course with a 0.42 rating. Played two rounds and left. BUT it took two trips to find the course. So almost 100 miles just to be able to mark a course as played.

turn around and come home? probably 2 hours

I've driven from Vancouver BC to Seattle for day discin' trips several times. It takes about 2.5-3.5 hours each way depending on the border wait times. Totally worth it.

I'm glad people are actually reading my post now, and not just the title.

There's possibly been a farther trip, but I'd say about 100 miles.

Actually scratch that. I went about 125 miles just back in September. And that was to play two mediocre nine holers, and check out a third one at a high school that was unplayable due to construction. I just wanted to add them to the list.

Last edited:
There's possibly been a farther trip, but I'd say about 100 miles.

Actually scratch that. I went about 125 miles just back in September. And that was to play two mediocre nine holers, and check out a third one at a high school that was unplayable due to construction. I just wanted to add them to the list.

I'm getting to that point. There's only a few smaller courses within 40 miles or so that I haven't hit yet, and after those, if I want to bag courses, I'm looking at at least an hour drive to hit a couple and make it worth my while.

Hamilton ON to Dayton OH ... 6.5 hour drive, 1 International Border Crossing. We left Friday after work, played 3 rounds Saturday, 1 round Sunday morning, got home Sunday night.

Drove 4 1/2 hours, played two courses. Stayed at a hotel. Played two different courses, then drove the 4 1/2 hours back. Did I mention the two courses I played back to back the second day were at Paw Paw, WV? If you've played Paw Paw, you know what I mean.

Back in the early 90's we used to drive from St. Louis to Columbia, Mo., play Albert Oakland, go on to KC to play Swope and Rosedale, head back and detour up to play the 9-hole course in Mexico with no tees, get back to St. Louis at dark and play a glow round at White Birch. From start to finish it was close to 550 miles and took all day. Those were some fun days.

In the last decade the longest day trip I've taken was from my in-laws to Valparaiso. It was about 100 miles/two hours to get there. Played RLW and some of the LL courses. It was well worth the drive since it was a day I didn't have to spend with my in-laws. :|

From Delmar DE to the grange in spotslyvania pa. I think I've spelled that very erroneously.. Anyway about 4 hours.

I traveled 14 hours AND played a round but that doesn't count..