• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Father Of Disc Golf on Johnny Carson

very cool... Johnny threw an annie.
Seems so odd seeing someone light up a cigarette right in the middle of an interview... things were different then.

Damn that's some real old school footage. Thanks for posting! It's crazy to think at that time the Frisbee was so new that Carson didn't know how to hold it. And the audience was impressed with his ability to throw it to the same person twice in a row.

Steady Ed is, and always will be, the man! I say "is" because his PDGA membership is still active (through Dec, 2016). RIP

Interesting that this was shortly after he invented the frisbee. I'm guessing he hadn't even thought up the concept of disc golf yet at that time. Pretty cool window to the past.

There's another video with I think feldberg on letterman. This is cool though. He throws it like a golf disc but I bet he's never even thought of disc golf when this aired. Weird.

In later years he tried to hide it, but you could still see the smoke rising up from behind his desk.

Oh. Point - Ed Headrick didn't invent the Frisbee. He bought it from Fred Morrison. Ed invented the Basket and the PDGA though.

Oh. Point - Ed Headrick didn't invent the Frisbee. He bought it from Fred Morrison. Ed invented the Basket and the PDGA though.
Ed created the "Rings of Headrick" for the top of the Frisbee(R) which made it fly smoother and more consistently when thrown with power.

Thanks for bumping this thread when I wasn't at work. Very cool clip. Thought it came from the Frizbee pie company tins tho rather than 'mother Frizbee's' jar lids as he puts it....

Interesting that this was shortly after he invented the frisbee. I'm guessing he hadn't even thought up the concept of disc golf yet at that time. Pretty cool window to the past.

People had already though of and played Frisbie Golf, spelled many different ways by the time the actual Frisbee was invented.

Did not know that, so I thought I would research it to find out more. I had no idea the concept was thought of so long ago. This is what I found on Wiki...

The history of disc golf is closely tied to the history of the recreational flying disc (especially as popularized by the trademarked Frisbee). The first known instance of anyone playing golf with a flying disc occurred in Bladworth, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1926. Ronald Gibson and a group of his Bladworth Elementary School buddies played a game throwing tin plates at targets such as trees and fence posts. They called the game Tin Lid Golf and played on a fairly regular basis on a disc golf course they laid out on their school grounds. But, after they grew older and went their separate ways, the game came to an end.[6] It wasn't until the 1970s that disc golf would be reintroduced to Canadians at the Canadian Open Frisbee Championships in Toronto.[7]

Latest posts