• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Ace?

Another Richmond Hill One.

Mine is my first ace I got at Richmond Hill in Asheville. It was hole #11 during the '07 MSF Tournament which was pretty much the grand reopening of the course. I was having a terrible round and only me and another guy showed up on the card so we were constantly having to wait. The previous round I had hit a tree about 10ft in front of me so this time I was just hoping to get into the gap. Tossed out a Firebird and once it made it through the gap I was happy and started walking off the pad. Then we heard chains. I don't run so I quickly walked up to see if it had stayed in, it had :D. Sadly I wasn't in the Ace pool :(...

This show a different basket position so imagine the basket being farther left. I took the route to the right.
c8e072a5.jpg

My favorite ace was my first. This happened in '06 or '07 during my pre-DGCR days at Northwestway Park DGC while the wife and I were cruising through Indiana. Back then, half of the fun was trying to find a new course using ONLY info from pdga.com

At the time, I didn't even know that I was supposed to write ace info on my disc or anywhere else. :|

Although I don't remember the hole #, I do remember walking 1/2 way up the fairway to take a look at the basket, that was not visible from the teepad. After throwing the drive I said, "That might be good enough for a birdie." I was absolutely shocked that my disc was in the bottom of the basket. We didn't hear it hit anything. My wife took a pic or 2 of my Champ Starfire that was stuck like a taco in the bottom of the basket and we moved on. :)

Despite my best efforts to lose my very first ace disc at the home course, it was returned to me twice before I finally retired it in 2010.

Not my ace but my two buddies got back-to-back aces on the same hole.

421056_215080038587779_214582955304154_403535_1558345894_n.jpg

Not my ace but my two buddies got back-to-back aces on the same hole.

421056_215080038587779_214582955304154_403535_1558345894_n.jpg

Nice! Me and a 13 year old I've been teaching did the same thing yesterday on a short skip shot, his first ace ever and it was back to back with my 5th.

The hole isn't impressive, 250' #10 at Towne Lake in McKinney Red Tee to A pin with a Buzzz. I've got a small list of why it is my favorite.

6-19-11 My first Fathers Day as a dad and had my wife and son with me. It also falls on my "30th birthday week"

Towne Lake in McKinney Sunday mini. We rotate from short to long tees every time an ace gets hit and they guaranteed $200. The big pot had been hit the week before so we were back to short tees, shooting at $200. Everyone was bummed that we only had 1 round from the shorts and a lot of people were playing a local A tier that weekend. The Giggler told me later "Man, you know you are someone around here" because he got a phone call while playing that event telling him I'd hit the ace at the mini.

We had a 3 person card with one being my wife so I only gave up $20 on the split with one person.

It was my 3rd (and last) ace of 2011, The first was for also for an ace pot and the second was on Memorial Day (no pot) so it put the two together, on a significant day with an ace pot.

Still my only ace on that course and I consider it one of my two home courses.

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3646.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 11
Not an ace but a fun ace related picture. My wife after hitting metal, barely missing an ace on #8 in the Straight Line Discs tournament at Towne Lake last year. Skipped off the nubs right side. I had wondered off but apparently she hit metal on #10 two holes later also.

Attachments

• IMG_5757.jpg
    IMG_5757.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 20
I have to agree with John Rock on the cash factor. I've hit league ace pots twice and those stand out........... My favorite non-cashing ace was one where I showed up a bit late for a casual round with a buddy and I nailed the first hole with no warm-up of any kind.

"My favorite ace" thread? I'm still waiting for my first, after 9 years, despite much metal. Ouch.

The longest hole on my home course is only 351' but I've been gunning for it for a couple years now. Yesterday I make it to the course with enough time to barely squeeze in a 9 hole round as it's getting dark. There just happen to be a couple of guys there who've been soliciting my advice and they join in.

5 holes later, soft Hyzer with a Special Blend Orc right into the chains, no way out. That felt really good.

My first tourney ace was a blind roller ace. Hole was like 250 feet at Chavez Ridge in Los angeles. Hole 16, commonly known as the road hole. It bends to the right and is a blind shot. The thing is it has a cliff on the left side, so if you hyzer out early or throw a bad shot it could be gone down a hill. I threw my lucky champ spider which ended up having 5 aces total on it before it was retired to the bottom of a lake in Long Beach. Threw it hard and it hit the road rolled to the right up a slope and jumped in the basket. I caught the very end of it when it jumped in and hit the bottom links of the chains. I was racing to make sure it stayed safe and was thrilled when it went in. That one was just special.

The longest hole on my home course is only 351' but I've been gunning for it for a couple years now. Yesterday I make it to the course with enough time to barely squeeze in a 9 hole round as it's getting dark. There just happen to be a couple of guys there who've been soliciting my advice and they join in.

5 holes later, soft Hyzer with a Special Blend Orc right into the chains, no way out. That felt really good.

You have bested my longest ( and only ace) by 1 foot.

:(

:thmbup:

I have three I cherish.

A skip ace on Blue Ribbon Pines #25 with a beat Star TeeBird. It was the smoothest, most perfect throw I ever had with about 10 people watching.

My first ever was at Bassett Creek #5. This was when I was a little wilder and trying to muscle something. I have no idea how I made that FLX Surge fly so straight, but it was slow motion. The six people surrounding me where yelling it to go in like a video game or how you would scream at a football player on television, like your yelling could make a difference.

Another favorite was after a miserable second round at the Minnesota Majestic (where I had an ace during a practice round the previous day). I had to get those horrible shots out of my system and out of my mind. I ran up to Acorn, threw on my headphones, and just start ace running everything. On Acorn #8 I took out a Star Wraith where a mid would be a safer play. I took a clean shot but the last 45 feet towards the basket is blind. A guy who was teeing off on Hole 7 comes running out of the woods separating the fairways, screaming with his hands in the air. I thought I hit him so I immediately starting apologizing. He was quite animated because he realized I was wearing headphones. It ends up that he was excited because I had aced the hole and he had never seen someone hit an ace before. I never heard the chains because of my music.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=287&mode=media

Hole 5 at Carroll Marty in Ames, Iowa...took the spike hyzer route over all of the trees and canned the ace...disc landed vertically in the back of the basket and didn't hit chains. I knew it was parked but didn't know it was in till I got to the basket.

Hole 6 at the same course, hit this one in the winter with a tomahawk. Disc landed in front of the bucket, tacoed, and sprung up and over the facemask and in. Luckily there was a thick sheet of ice in front of the basket.

I have two. One was at Veteran's park in Arlington, TX the day before the VPO in 2010. I was playing a practice round by myself and caught up to Nikko on hole 5. I aced hole 6 in a 20mph head wind with a boss. It is cool to have his sig on a ace disc.
161d9e51.jpg

My other is hole 10 at Sipapu. The cool thing about this one is I had a black ace earlier in the round. I made it in hole 1's basket from tee 5. I then proceeded to can hole 10 with a sidearm over the ski lift.

293642_10150794914045057_519970056_20475224_182074_n.jpg

this photo is of my gf parking it from the short tee. the long tee is about 100 feet behind.

Parmalee Park Hole 12. I thumbed a Champ Banshee (now retired) straight off the teepad, it glanced off a tree while still vertical and fell into the back of the basket. Hit the $50 ace pool. Basket sits at around 1 O'Clock.

e15c868a.jpg

Latest posts