• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Approach/Upshot Disc?

Ion if I am going for the chains, Star Cro if I need it to settle down near the basket. It depends on the landing area and situation. I have been mixing in my Wizard lately. I would love to get better with the Wizard and use it for everything under 200'.

It's all about the Wizard for me. I've got a medium, an SSS that's fairly stiff, and an organic in the rotation, with another organic, an eraser, and an HPP in waiting. The SSS is my main putter, and I think I might cry if I ever lost it.

If you come up here in a few weeks beware. Buckhorn may try to eat your Wizard. If it isn't the lake then the pond might get it. Watch out for hole 8!

Lately, and depending on the circumstance, I've been using a Gator. It's not a completely straight flight, but it's so predictable that I can count on getting close to the basket. If I'm feeling like it, I might just go right for the chains.

Ah, the ubiquitous "popularity contest" thread.
The best approach/upshot disc should be a slow disc that you can easily work on all types of shots including (but not limited to) hyzers, annies, rollers, overhands, forhands, backhands, flex shots, trick shots, etc.

The easiest way to find a disc like this is to buy a new relatively neutral putter like an Aviar P&A, Magnet, Omega, Voodoo, Ion, etc.

The preferred way- but much longer way- to get this type of disc is to beat in an overstable putter like a BB Aviar, Wizard, Challenger, Rhyno, Banger, etc. Really beat overstable putters are truly beautiful.

Putters are something I've always changed frequently. Most of the discs I listed above have filled the main putt/approach/upshot role in my bag at some point. Right now I am using the DX Polecat effectively.

I usually reach for my Zone. I putt with it too so it is a quick grab and super predictable in all conditions. I have even used it for some fun trick shots. It just does everything.

For a little bit more distance I will reach for my Buzzz, Drone of Meteor, depending on conditions and the shot that is required.

Latest posts