• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite female player?

I prefer to watch the women play because what they are doing is closer to what I'd be doing on the courses they play. Watching them make decisions about discs and shots is something I can learn from. The men are amazing to watch as well for different reasons. But, they are routinely making shots that I have almost no hope of duplicating on many holes. The women are just more relatable to my game and nicer to watch than a bunch of hairy men. LOL.
My current favorites are Paige B and Sarah Holkom. I'm really liking the big goofy grin Paige has been sporting ever since she won worlds. And, there's all that hair. Sarah is fun to watch because she puts her whole self in that forehand.

Three comments about Paige Pierce's putting routine: She isn't tapping herself in the head. It isn't a quirk. She's snapping the disc with her wrist. That is her reminder to give the putter a good pop at release for a firm flight.

Comments about Ragna being MIA, I'm pretty sure she was quoted as saying she has "a big girl job now" working at a bank. Sport still not quite big enough to support as many good players as we'd like.

Three comments about Paige Pierce's putting routine: She isn't tapping herself in the head. It isn't a quirk. She's snapping the disc with her wrist. That is her reminder to give the putter a good pop at release for a firm flight.

Comments about Ragna being MIA, I'm pretty sure she was quoted as saying she has "a big girl job now" working at a bank. Sport still not quite big enough to support as many good players as we'd like.

Such a weird thing to be upset about.

As for Ragna, that is definitely why she has been MIA. I heard them talk about it in FPO coverage this year, but I can't recall the video. Hopefully she is still playing though.

Angela Tschiggfrie. So many top FPO players move out of top-level competition for various reasons. 8-10 years ago she was routinely battling with Val and Des at the top. Fun to watch, simple compact form, great putter.

Liz Carr is another from that time period, with a lot of different shots, glad to see she is competing again.

I really like pretty much all of the FPO division. I actually get more excited to watch them vs some of the MPO players. They are generally good players and most of them seem to be having a good time out there. By rating, their games are closer to mine than the MPO field so when they are playing courses it makes much more sense to me. I kind of like watching players on courses throw shots that I can associate my game with. All these guys throwing 500 ft hyzers are crazy and fun to watch, but I can't really relate to them.

I generally feel this way as well. Most of the top FPO players throw about as far as I do and are more consistent with the rest of their game. I like to think that I would at least cash out in an FPO field, but probably not.

From a photo perspective, I have found that the ladies are just more photogenic when throwing. A lot of the big arms in the men's field really suffer from that derpy huck face so I have drawn my lens towards FPO more and more when the show comes to town.

If I recall, it was in the context of discussing Paige B's hair too, so I may have been doing some "sauce for the goose and sauce for the gander" schtick. Not sure. It's been weeks. Dunno.

I absolutely love that! Of course, you realize, no guy would ever admire a woman based the gander goose thing. Sigh.

Interesting enough, I tend to prefer technical play. It's why I like Nate, he thinks tactically and technically. It's also why I appreciate Paul, he seems to be able to connect big play with technical play like few can.

At first, I was a Paige. P. fan, because she was so dominant, but what I felt was revealed this year is two weaknesses. Paige is big, but she seemed to get thumped on more technical courses. I'm absolutely sure that someone will find I'm wrong here. P. Berk seems to be a more technical player, but my favorites, probably cause I'm old, are the old school technical players, Elaine and Des. Val would be the... how can I say medium aged technical player without looking too stoopid. :)

All of that said, I'd really need to go back and study these folk's games before making any real decision. Do we have a voice here that has looked closely at technical vs big gun?

Paige is big, but she seemed to get thumped on more technical courses. I'm absolutely sure that someone will find I'm wrong here.

FWIW, she won the Idlewild Open the last two years against good fields. She's just fine on technical courses.

My favorite female pro to watch is Val. Slow run-up and great demeanor/mental game. When I'm pointing out role models to my son on how to act on the course and how to react to bad shots and bad putts I point out Val and MJ.

FWIW, she won the Idlewild Open the last two years against good fields. She's just fine on technical courses.

My favorite female pro to watch is Val. Slow run-up and great demeanor/mental game. When I'm pointing out role models to my son on how to act on the course and how to react to bad shots and bad putts I point out Val and MJ.

Whenever I think of Val, I think of this video. The way she handles herself on the course is something that I really take after and strive to be like. Total role model and a great competitor.

https://youtu.be/Alrh3ov5Lk4?t=127

Edit: I time stamped it because I couldn't get the embedded video to work.

Last edited:
Quote from an UltiWorld article published today/

"We haven't been talking about Jennifer Allen much as she hasn't been at the major tournaments in a while, but her monster now 1062-rated round at the Arizona State Championship was enough to move her back into the ranks."

Jen can Shred. Paige Bjerkaas is just a ton of fun to watch.

There's a number of reasons why i dislike PP.

2. The need to show off rather than throw the smart shot

I have a little different take on this one. To me, Paige's game has just been off at times this year, and she felt she had to make the big shots to try to catch up, and they didn't always work out.

Kona P for her passion and being an ambassador

Rebecca C for her explosiveness off the tee

In general, as others have already stated, I prefer to watch FPO because it is closer to my game. I am MA40 with 400 foot power. This is true of most sports, that I hate watching because I would rather be out playing, and watching only rubs it in that I am not playing. However, if I am watching, I am doing so because I want to imagine what it would be like to play those courses, and seeing someone even remotely close to my ability makes it easier to imagine. Watching MPO can be fun if there is drama, but at that point, I lose how difficult the course is because they are making big shots that are well outside of my ability, and therefore I cannot tell if they are playing well or not.

Side note - commentary is everything for me if it is not a video of myself (I would be watching for nostalgia sake and I can provide my own commentary in my head). MPO is generally far better, so hopefully those who do commentary for FPO will become better over time with more practice.

I was really impressed with Kristin Tattar's play during her US tour. She seemed to have a pretty well balanced game with good solid power on the bh and fh plus putting. I hope she can find a way to do more US touring in the future.

I have a little different take on this one. To me, Paige's game has just been off at times this year, and she felt she had to make the big shots to try to catch up, and they didn't always work out.

Something I haven't yet seen any mention of is that before PP went and played in Europe, she was on fire... and struggled the better part of the latter half after the European trip. Jet lag?? something in the air? also, she makes no bones about being an aggressive style player and always "going for it"

My favs include lil Paige, PP, Kristen Tattar, Ragne, Zoe Andyk and Holly... not in any particular order... they're all great to watch...

Just from what I saw when I met them, Ragna Bygde Lewis, Paige Bjierkas, and Sarah Hokom... all quite friendly and great ambassadors for the game

...which also leads me to Holly Findlay. I don't know why she gets some of the crap she does, but she's always repped the game quite well, and props to any big name player who publicly posts on these forums.

Hope I get the chance to meet Paige Pierce when the DGPT comes to town again this year.

Just from what I saw when I met them, Ragna Bygde Lewis, Paige Bjierkas, and Sarah Hokom... all quite friendly and great ambassadors for the game

...which also leads me to Holly Findlay. I don't know why she gets some of the crap she does, but she's always repped the game quite well, and props to any big name player who publicly posts on these forums.

Hope I get the chance to meet Paige Pierce when the DGPT comes to town again this year.

She called the game easy. That's a pretty big inaccuracy to live down.

She called the game easy. That's a pretty big inaccuracy to live down.

Paige Pierce says everything is easy too, and people still love her.

(An exaggeration, but her comments have bothered me. She said, in a pre-tourney interview, that getting par at USDGC was easy. Ok, so do it. Don't tell us it's easy then proceed to come in 107th place, throwing a +43 for the tourney.)

Dang, too late to edit:

Starts talking about USDGC and her chances around 52:00.

I had remembered she said "easy," but she says that its not too difficult, and you can do it. Which pretty much equated to her expecting to play well. I suppose there's a fine line between arrogance, and confidence. I'm just more of the thought that if you're gonna talk the talk before the event, then you should deliver. Or maybe next time be more humble, or go in with more realistic expectations.

Evans is good. Jen Allen. I have enjoyed watching Paige Bjerkaas coming up behind PP. I like our local face Christine Jennings and Kona Panis also. FPO field is getting good.