• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite putter

south.texas.dead.i

Bogey Member
I have a birdie and hate it! Can't seem to throw it right for anything lol has anyone ever used MVP putters? I really like the way they look.

Can't really go wrong with Anode I guess. But same goes for stuff like Aviar PA, Basic Jokeri, Pure, Summit, Challenger, Wizard and some of others. It's mostly a matter of preference.
Birdie is a lid and I'm not very surprised if you don't like it that much. I think it's a lot of fun tho. :)

I started with an Aviar P&A. It was alright, but there were more problems with my form plus it was only a 150g. I moved to a Magnet in 175 and liked it but felt there was something better out there. I got a KC Pro Aviar in 175 and really liked it, still do, but I've gone back to the Magnet almost exclusively. I'd like something with less fade because I under power too much and I feel like that may keep it straighter for a longer distance. The Anode is looking good so far, but all in all I'm happy with what I have.

Putting with the Polecat/Birdie is an art. Better done from outside the circle. the birdie doesn't glide as well as the Polecat.

I like the ION for putting but I have a weird hyzer spin putt that gels with the ION. the Anode is better for lob putting.

I need different putters to do all that can be done with putters effectively. Putting is different to driving and winds, moisture/rain and temperature influences things so there are so many requirements all year round that any single putter cannot cater for each need. Two is a stretch. OS, straight and US is much better and having that many also allows for some latitude with disc selection based on tackiness when the maximum is needed.

I carry 3 different putter molds in my bag.
A couple of Swans for understable and high anhyzer shots.
EZE pure for putting (kinda new thing for me but gave me confidence for some reason)
A pile of basic and premium Jokeris for approaches. 3 basics in different stages of wear and 2 premiums.

I've noticed putters take space as well...

Hands down MVP ion or anode are the best putters I've ever used. Hold great lines for approach shots and putt consistently.

JR said:
I need different putters to do all that can be done with putters effectively. Putting is different to driving and winds, moisture/rain and temperature influences things so there are so many requirements all year round that any single putter cannot cater for each need. Two is a stretch. OS, straight and US is much better and having that many also allows for some latitude with disc selection based on tackiness when the maximum is needed.

For those with great skill, equipment is a small issue. Any old trash can lid will do. Players like me NEED great equipment to compensate for lack of skill (probably most of you too, btw). :D

For every category of disc I want at least 3 discs at the different stability levels (OS, Straight & US). Since putters are the most important discs, I carry 3 Magnets. Then at least 2 more Rattlers (only 2 because there are no overstable Rattlers).

I try not to carry any discs which need particular environments to be useful. So all my putters are tacky (none of that slippery candy plastic) and none in bad colors (white, black, tie-dye). So aside from worry that a particular well broken-in disc might be too susceptible to cracking in bitter cold, I don't need to change my bag for anything other than glow rounds (or to add risk discs or testers).

BTW, the latest run of Rattlers is a totally new plastic blend which seems to me to have just a little bit of candy mixed in. It still feels tacky and actually very good. One made it immediately into the bag. This run contains a first for Rattlers: BRIGHT pink. I love bright pink, the easiest color to find.

Mark Ellis said:
JR said:

For those with great skill, equipment is a small issue. Any old trash can lid will do. Players like me NEED great equipment to compensate for lack of skill (probably most of you too, btw). :D

For every category of disc I want at least 3 discs at the different stability levels (OS, Straight & US). Since putters are the most important discs, I carry 3 Magnets. Then at least 2 more Rattlers (only 2 because there are no overstable Rattlers).

I try not to carry any discs which need particular environments to be useful. So all my putters are tacky (none of that slippery candy plastic) and none in bad colors (white, black, tie-dye). So aside from worry that a particular well broken-in disc might be too susceptible to cracking in bitter cold, I don't need to change my bag for anything other than glow rounds (or to add risk discs or testers).

BTW, the latest run of Rattlers is a totally new plastic blend which seems to me to have just a little bit of candy mixed in. It still feels tacky and actually very good. One made it immediately into the bag. This run contains a first for Rattlers: BRIGHT pink. I love bright pink, the easiest color to find.

Living by the sea creates winds and because Finland is cold and wet for 2/3 of the year i've gravitated toward tackier plastics too but is still have some slick discs in the bag. At least in the summer. Beeswax adds grip in the winter. What was the name of the tacky stuff you use?

JR said:
Living by the sea creates winds and because Finland is cold and wet for 2/3 of the year i've gravitated toward tackier plastics too but is still have some slick discs in the bag. At least in the summer. Beeswax adds grip in the winter. What was the name of the tacky stuff you use?

Pow'r Tac. This product is readily available in my area in sporting goods stores in the baseball section (commonly used for bats as it is a synthetic pine tar-like substance). This gooey stuff gets sprayed directly on a disc and starts out so darn sticky I barely touch the edge of it. After a few days it hardens enough to be optimal and only gives a slight amount of grip but that slight amount is vastly useful. Too much grip is just as bad as too little.

To answer the inevitable question posed every time I mention this, yes it is PDGA legal. Many years ago I submitted a request for a ruling specific to this product ( Pow'r Tac) and the general concept (grip enhancers) to the PDGA Rules Committee, detailing how it is used. It was approved and I have used it since at hundreds of sanctioned events including at numerous World Championships as well as advocated it to many others, including the readers today.

As with any new product or technique it takes practice and experience to get used to. In nice weather it is unnecessary (which is why I only spray one spot one the underside of a disc about the size of a half dollar, to leave the option of using it or not). In bitter, bitter cold weather it loses its tackiness, which is why I heat up my discs before rounds and I am trying to figure out ways of warming up discs during rounds. Yes, snow sticks to warm discs and is a pain to keep cleaning off but as forehand dominant players know, without a decent grip the game is problematic.

In cold rain the stuff gives little aid as well. I predict some day manufacturers will solve the grip problem through better plastics and grip enhancers built into the molds and this product and others will no longer be needed.

I've sometimes told people that you got something specific written into the rules and said but beeswax is ecological :) So why should it be a problem even using it in competition. To return to the topic at hand i used Spikes (Latitude ones) for a few years just because they maintain height well without a huge power input during putting and they have built in rough spots on top for better grip. I've heard some say they produce a slicker grip. I can't feel and see how other than they are working for the competition :)

Mark,

What specific 3 Magnets do you carry in your bag?

I was playing with a local pro this weekend, Bobby Jones, he was using a Soft Magnet for putting and a Z Magnet off the tee for some crazy flex shots. Interesting stuff. I currently putt with plain old Pro-D Magnets but have found them too stiff and slick in less than 45°F weather. To address the grip concern I plan on grabbing a Soft Magnet for cold weather duties.

cubeofsoup said:
Mark,

What specific 3 Magnets do you carry in your bag?

I was playing with a local pro this weekend, Bobby Jones, he was using a Soft Magnet for putting and a Z Magnet off the tee for some crazy flex shots. Interesting stuff. I currently putt with plain old Pro-D Magnets but have found them too stiff and slick in less than 45°F weather. To address the grip concern I plan on grabbing a Soft Magnet for cold weather duties.

I am very picky about discs, no doubt primarily because I can be :D. I have thrown Magnets for almost all of my career and since being sponsored have made it a point to inspect every run coming out. My preferences have gradually evolved to a medium stiffness and a slightly concave flight plate. Of course Discraft doesn't make anything called medium. They make Hard Magnets and Soft Magnets. But with enough patience and diligent searching I have come across relatively soft versions of Hard Magnets and relatively hard versions of Soft Magnets. These, properly grip stamped, are what I use. For those unfamiliar, a grip stamp is a hotstamp, purposely burned in deeply enough and placed precisely where my fingers rest on both the top and bottom of the disc. This custom hotstamping is labor intensive and requires a lot of skill to do right. So thank you very much Discraft.

I putt with a Hard Magnet and upshoot with Soft Magnets. I carry one beat up and one fresh Magnet for upshots. For short upshots (inside 100') I mostly use Rattlers.

I started carrying a soft Magnet for catch purposes. They are much easier on the hands when you catch them, especially in the cold and wind. Eventually I fell in love with them. The same thing happened with Rattlers. I played catch with them for years before I used them in rounds.

Mark Ellis said:
These, properly grip stamped, are what I use. For those unfamiliar, a grip stamp is a hotstamp, purposely burned in deeply enough and placed precisely where my fingers rest on both the top and bottom of the disc. This custom hotstamping is labor intensive and requires a lot of skill to do right.
Not to drift OT, but I'm surprised that's legal. What's to stop a disc maker from manufacturing a disc with a fingerprint stamp where you place your fingers, getting approval, and then hot stamping dents and depressions into the disc later on? Perhaps this is simply an example of the PDGA rules not being quite as old or far along as they perhaps will be some day. I realize the stamping is done at the factory but it's not the same disc that was submitted for approval and edges a bit closer to the "post-production modification" with a "detectable thickness" than I'd be comfortable using.

To the topic at hand, my favorite putter is a Wizard. I'm experimenting with different firmnesses (and have some erasers and chalkies coming) but like them all at this point. Some are overweight and thus marked as "not for play" but they're fine in the basement. I don't see myself using the RFFs or the SSSS as I don't really care for the floppy putters, but you never know.

Latest posts