• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite secluded Carolinas courses with natural beauty?

With all due respect, I've never felt an atmosphere of seclusion at Kentwood. But that's just me.

** Note, I am by no means highly qualified in this area. In the subject of courses played, I'm still somewhat a noob.

^

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. You can see the street from almost half the holes and the course is surrounded by houses.

You are probably right about Kentwood - I'm sure you are much more familiar with it than me.....and as qualified as anyone anywhere to post opinions on a discussion board! It certainly "feels" all on top of each other and therefore not secluded, but I think there is seclusion on at least 2/3's of the holes (at least in the summer when the leaves are out). I'm fine being off point since frankly, I played it once and remembered it having a lot of foliage, and being located on a pretty non-busy street. I do not remember houses being that visible (I am sure they are much more visible in the winter), and I do not remember a whole lot of overlap with other park activities. I would never go to Kentrock to "get a way" and relax in nature, but IMO it is quite secluded for what is basically an urban course.

Fox Chase is definitely worth giving a shot if you want natural beauty and seclusion. definitely worth the hour or so drive from Charlotte. Stumpy Creek is only secluded for the first 10 or so holes. The rest are right out in the open and seeing a Nuclear Reactor across the lake from hole 17 is NOT my idea of seclusion.

If Bracketts Bluff wasnt closed it would be the first one as far as seclusion goes.

Which brings us to the variants of "seclusion"

Does it need to be a city course---where the seclusion is more valued---or does a remote course count?

For myself, if I can hear traffic, it's not secluded. I don't mind seeing other park facilities, but seeing houses?

And how about crowds? Reedy Creek is a walk-in-the-woods, but if there are lots of others playing, does it feel secluded?

Definitions, connotations---I think our original poster left us too much slack.

For me, seclusion and beauty go hand in hand. A big part of why I play DG is to unwind and "get away from it all". Natural beauty is a big part of the destressing equation for me. So, a perfectly secluded area that is a scraggly garbage dump does nothing for me as far as this aspect of why I enjoy the game.

Or as you point out, traffic noise can really be a damper on what would otherwise be a beautiful and secluded course. FDR State Park (NY state) is a perfect example. The front 9 holes (specifically the loop of holes 2-8) are the best run of holes for my preference of any I have ever played (the back 9 is kinda lame though). They are well designed and challenging, on great terrain, a view of a lake, very nice seclusion, and have that Appalachian beauty I love. Problem is, these holes are butted up to the Taconic State Parkway so traffic noise can be an issue (more so during rush hour).

Similarly, the Sarge in Hardeeville, SC is off to itself, among tall pines and some pretty lakes. Looks good in pictures. But just beyond the trees is I-95, and the roar of traffic is constant.

Fontana Dam is the most secluded course I've played so far in NC.
I can't wait to get up to Ashe County.
DSCJNKY

I'm going to be spending a few days in Charleston and a few days in Beaufort next month and was scouting out a few DG courses around the areas. Anyone have any suggestions of which courses I should play (or NOT play)? My short list was The Sarge, Tom Triplett (I know it's in Georgia, I'm just going to be so close), Trophy Lakes, Tidal Creek, and Park Circle.

Any advice on any of these would be great.

Which brings us to the variants of "seclusion"

Does it need to be a city course---where the seclusion is more valued---or does a remote course count?

For myself, if I can hear traffic, it's not secluded. I don't mind seeing other park facilities, but seeing houses?

And how about crowds? Reedy Creek is a walk-in-the-woods, but if there are lots of others playing, does it feel secluded?

Definitions, connotations---I think our original poster left us too much slack.

Well, I didn't want to be too stringent. I appreciate every single one of the responses, and you raise interesting questions.

I agree that the roar of traffic negates any seclusion factor. North Cabarrus Park is a nice little get-away out in the country(though not exactly an impressive course) UNTIL you get around basket number 7: all of a sudden you are playing right up against I-85. It definitely taints the experience for me.

I don't mind crowds like one finds at Reedy Creek. It is like a communal experience of nature for me. I don't mind walking up to that one tee pad and finding 95 people enjoying a cricket game. It still feels like we could all be out in the country.

So, the seclusion that *I" enjoy involves the following:

Quiet. No interstates or major roads running right next to a fairway.

Very little visual evidence of any man-made structures located OUTSIDE or NEAR the park.

Many people OR few people enjoying the course/park. Doesn't matter so much to me.

Natural beauty.

Thanks!

Last edited:
And thanks to everyone for your responses so far. I will definitely check out and/or spread the word on some of these courses.

I'm going to be spending a few days in Charleston and a few days in Beaufort next month and was scouting out a few DG courses around the areas. Anyone have any suggestions of which courses I should play (or NOT play)? My short list was The Sarge, Tom Triplett (I know it's in Georgia, I'm just going to be so close), Trophy Lakes, Tidal Creek, and Park Circle.

Any advice on any of these would be great.

I've played 3 of the 5....it depends on what you like in a course.

Trophy Lakes is my favorite. It's long, challenging, tons of OB, with some exciting shots over and around disc-stealing lakes. It's a private course, on a championship-waterski-facility, so it's pay-to-play, but no general public.

Park Circle is the most casual and probably the easiest. 9 holes with 2 sets of tees. Not so easy that it's boring, but easier than the rest.

Haven't played Tidal Creek. The reviews and photos indicate it's not my taste in courses; it seems to be a love/hate course, depending on the reviewer. Some really really didn't like it. I suggest reading the reviews and deciding whether it's the kind of course you'd like.

The Sarge is a challenging course. The front 9 is pretty tight, the back 9 has several places to lose discs in the lakes. Both The Sarge and Tom Triplett have pretty good reputations as pretty tough but worthwhile courses.

I've played 3 of the 5....it depends on what you like in a course.

Trophy Lakes is my favorite. It's long, challenging, tons of OB, with some exciting shots over and around disc-stealing lakes. It's a private course, on a championship-waterski-facility, so it's pay-to-play, but no general public.

Park Circle is the most casual and probably the easiest. 9 holes with 2 sets of tees. Not so easy that it's boring, but easier than the rest.

Haven't played Tidal Creek. The reviews and photos indicate it's not my taste in courses; it seems to be a love/hate course, depending on the reviewer. Some really really didn't like it. I suggest reading the reviews and deciding whether it's the kind of course you'd like.

The Sarge is a challenging course. The front 9 is pretty tight, the back 9 has several places to lose discs in the lakes. Both The Sarge and Tom Triplett have pretty good reputations as pretty tough but worthwhile courses.

Thanks for the info. For myself, I definitely want to play Trophy Lakes. I'm looking forward to the challenge and the reviews make it sound exciting. I will be taking along my wife and a couple of friends who have only played a little bit, so it sounds like they would enjoy Park Circle.

I probably only have time to play one of the courses near Beaufort, so I need to decide between The Sarge or Tom Triplett. I'm leaning towards the latter only because the reviews for The Sarge mention watching out for the Gators. I'm not sure I could convince my wife to play with me :p

I'll add Leigh Farm Park in Durham and Southern Community in Chapel Hill as well. Yadkin Co. Park, Buckhorn, and Wellspring are probably my votes. Honorable mention to Barnet Park and Castle Hayne.