• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Favorite Sure Grip Plastic Blend

Favorite Plastic Blend

• Total voters

allenhoop

Par Member
As everyone knows, Gateway offers a plethora of different Sure Grip plastic blends so I figured I'd ask the impossible: choose which one is your favorite.

I personally love them all, but I would have to go with our Soft blend. Firm and smooth, but solid feeling and not brittle. Soft hits the line between plastic and rubber and leaves you with a unique feel reminiscent of velvet. This blend is great to cycle as well for throwing duties.

The only reason that comes to mind that would make me choose another would be because it's too stiff in the winter. I haven't broken one yet, but spit outs seem to occur more often with stiff putters in the winter for me. Switching to SS or SSS depending on the day, and using those for all chain grabbing duties seems to do the trick. Swirlies tend to be in this SS-SSS zone that bridges the gap, and they're pretty, so I like to have a swirly putter as my go to.

What blends do you guys prefer? Is there anyone here who loves the really floppy blends like 4S and RFF? Tell me about it! I just can't imagine trying to be accurate with a floppy putter.

G25 for my putting Wizards.

Something stiff and overstable (Fossil, PWP, firmer Soft blends) for my throwers.

Love the white S for mids. Needs a little breaking in to gain its full grip. But they wear so nicely. They dent instead of gouging like most base plastics, and don't really taco either. And while Gateway S blends cost more than DX, it is well worth it.

As for a putting putter, probably prefer SS or SSS for year round duties.

There's allot of faveorites. When I used to putt with VooDoos I'd bag s, SS, sss, organic. I'd use a blend that benefited putting, outside the circle, jump putts, short ups and driving etc.

Really kinda liked that. I miss that mold.

SSS Warlocks are the best putter Ive ever used. Start out just as stable as a wizard with much improved glide. I really like PWP too, its amazing how much more awesome it turns the wizard into a driving/upshot putter.

Have you guys ran any PWP Warlocks? Cause that would be even more amazing.

I putt with fossil stuff, but I find it basically impossible to actually throw. I can't give you a good reason for it, but I need something a little bit softer to get a grip on like SSS.

I putt with rff wizards. I can't really explain why I prefer a softer putter over a stiff putter other than I just do. I putt the same wether I use stiff or soft putters, I just like the feel of rff the best. Organic is also a solid plastic blend too! My og wiz is my favorite thrower.

Fossil FTW

Dave hit a home run when developing this blend for me.

He's crazy. I give him my specs and a few hours later I had my dream baseline on hand.

I can't wait to have Fossil mids produced this year.

Super Soft is definitely my go-to for putting. It's the perfect flex and that plastic blend loves to grab chains! That being said I also wanted to vote for Eraser because of the versatility. I've used Eraser plastic to drive, approach, and putt with in the past. It is my favorite for cycling. Now that the weather has been a bit colder, I've been trying out RFF and Lunar plastic which retain their grip a bit better in the elements. There are too many solid choices there for just one selection!

Organic was my favorite back when I threw gateway putters, but I'm pretty sure that how they do organic changed way back then since after the first 2 runs they never felt the same again (and I stopped throwing them because of that)

I voted other. I know there's a G in the name, but I like G9i. At this point I've fondled some plastic blends that were just as firm as my G9i. Bring back the best!

Aside from that, the original black OGs were pretty incredible too.

This survey is silly. Gateway has some much parody between runs of the same plastic title that it's impossible to know what you get until you're holding it in your hands. I voted chalky for the feel, but I have not idea if the firmness varies or not

I like the firmer side of SSS. I love the velvety feeling and I always have confidence in the grip

I used to be about slick and stiff Wizards, but I definitely am starting to lean towards stiff with more of a velvety, tacky feel for better grip.