• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Favorite Sure Grip Plastic Blend

Favorite Plastic Blend

• Total voters
Why is the thread titled "Favorite Sure Grip plastic blend" but the poll contains all plastics including premium? I can't vote on this.

I prefer Soft for putting Wizards (Eraser for when temps are below 60).
I prefer Evolution Platinum for driving putters/mids.

G9i.

That said, is there anyone who can definitively say whether or not these are legal for tourney play? I see a lot of conflicting info and no concrete information saying they're illegal? Can anyone at Gateway clarify for me?

Why is the thread titled "Favorite Sure Grip plastic blend" but the poll contains all plastics including premium? I can't vote on this.

I prefer Soft for putting Wizards (Eraser for when temps are below 60).
I prefer Evolution Platinum for driving putters/mids.

Yeah I meant to make it "Favorite Plastic Blend"

G9i.

That said, is there anyone who can definitively say whether or not these are legal for tourney play? I see a lot of conflicting info and no concrete information saying they're illegal? Can anyone at Gateway clarify for me?

G9i is just as legal as stiff McPro or KC Pro plastic

Forgot to vote...I'd say Supersoft, usually it has the best of both of what I look for, stiffness and tackyness.

I'm really surprised by the results so far. I figured SSS or RFF would have a lot more votes, because it seems like we sell a lot of those blends.

I knew Fossil would be up there because there is a strong RDG fanbase on this forum, and it is a really great blend. I would use Fossil if it were one of their stock blends.

I'm also surprised there are any votes for Chalky. Not that it's a bad blend, but I just don't see a lot of orders for it.

I remember when Gateway started making softer blends of putters. Many players on the forums were saying, "who wants that crap?" But retailers were saying they were good sellers.

I'm really surprised by the results so far. I figured SSS or RFF would have a lot more votes, because it seems like we sell a lot of those blends.

I think, at least in DGCR land, there is a prevailing attitude against "softer" putters and instead opting to use stiffer ones. I actually see WAY more SSS/RFF on the course than anything else.

I had to go with fossil even though I like a lot of different blends but fossil is the bees knees

Thats cuz all us nerds here see the pros putt stiff putters and we do it and understand the good things about the blends. But the other 98% of disc golfers get soft floppy blends because they dont roll as often or grab the chains etc.

Thats cuz all us nerds here see the pros putt stiff putters and we do it and understand the good things about the blends. But the other 98% of disc golfers get soft floppy blends because they dont roll as often or grab the chains etc.

It took me a while to get into really stiff putters. I get why most casual players prefer floppy.

I think I've thrown everything on the list other than chalky.

Are these even made anymore? What are they like?

I think I've thrown everything on the list other than chalky.

Are these even made anymore? What are they like?

Several of my SS Voodoos and SS Magics were "chalky". Most in fact. Slightly...it's like a fine sheen on the plastic. Every original stamp S Element I ever owned was the same way, but board stiff in comparison to the SS putters.

Several of my SS Voodoos and SS Magics were "chalky". Most in fact. Slightly...it's like a fine sheen on the plastic. Every original stamp S Element I ever owned was the same way, but board stiff in comparison to the SS putters.

Slick?

I have a couple of green/teal SS wizards that have a sheen.

I assumed chalky would feel different.

Slick?

I have a couple of green/teal SS wizards that have a sheen.

I assumed chalky would feel different.

Only somewhat slick if moisture on it or when cold and damp outside, IME.

Slightly chalky sheen, especially compared to some of the tackier S and SS.

Hey, its Gateway...

My SS Chalkies are very stiff, small dome, ding up pretty badly on baskets, but are excellent OS throwers.

Latest posts