• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite thing about disc golf

I like the phrase used earlier by whitechocolate.....hiking with a purpose in the woods on a glorious day especially if there aren't many people around.

That perfect putt. For me cause I struggle at putting every time it feels perfect and looks perfect and then smashes the chains I get real happy. It just feels right and that's what I strive for every time.

Almost all of these^^^plus more.
-Hitting the line visualized by the minds eye :gloria:
-knowing I have the capabilities to get better Particularly as I approach GM

The lack of uniformity

I like how course designers get creative and put courses in some of the most surprising areas. Some people even make their own baskets, and some of them are pretty cool. A basketball court is a square, a football field is a square, a baseball field is a wonky square, but disc golf can be all sorts of things.

My favorite "thing" about disc golf is that it spurs me to do other fun activities I wouldn't normally do: hiking, camping, traveling, and meeting up with new people.

I'd do those things rarely before disc golf because there just didn't seem to be a "point" to it. Enter disc golf. It ties all those things together in the perfect combination for me.

This rings true for me as well. :thmbup:

Getting one of the lesser used shots to work well, when I can hit a thumber/tomahawk, thumb roller, or elevator shot that comes out great it is really satisfying as most when they start don't even know this can be done with a disc.

Getting out of the tent at Highbridge and looking down over the hill that looks out over the view (hole 8 of Gold), and knowing the next two days is going to be filled with world class disc golf, along with great friends, beer, and campfires. Yep, that's just about as close to heaven as I can imagine.

I think my favorite thing is stepping up to a hole that just makes me smile and say "this is AWESOME."

Even though I still suck 6 months in, that it is a competitive athletic endeavor (and I mean competitive in a "me and my discs against the course" kind of way) that I can enjoy at 43 and can see myself enjoying as long as I can walk. That I can take my toddler to the course and he learns to enjoy the outdoors not be a TV generation zombie (the "Good job Dad!" after any throw that doesn't hit a tree is nice too ;) ). The people I've met through disc golf. Playing Maple Hill for the first time. Throwing at the baskets in my yard anytime I need a stress reliever. A long putt hitting chains.

I can go on...

Even though I still suck 6 months in, that it is a competitive athletic endeavor (and I mean competitive in a "me and my discs against the course" kind of way) that I can enjoy at 43 and can see myself enjoying as long as I can walk. That I can take my toddler to the course and he learns to enjoy the outdoors not be a TV generation zombie (the "Good job Dad!" after any throw that doesn't hit a tree is nice too ;) ). The people I've met through disc golf. Playing Maple Hill for the first time. Throwing at the baskets in my yard anytime I need a stress reliever. A long putt hitting chains.

I can go on...

Good job dad!

My favorite "thing" about disc golf is that it spurs me to do other fun activities I wouldn't normally do: hiking, camping, traveling, and meeting up with new people.

I'd do those things rarely before disc golf because there just didn't seem to be a "point" to it. Enter disc golf. It ties all those things together in the perfect combination for me.

I also agree with this statement.

The people. When I first started I was like everyone I guess. I wanted to give it a try, but was clueless what I was doing. I started out just me and the wife throwing here and there and got hooked. I was struggling though. One day I was by myself and another very, very patient fellow was playing solo behind me. I was about to tee off and he hollered for me to hold up. He ended up finishing that round and playing another round with me. With the things he showed me id added 50 feet that day. I have seen this on many courses from many people and try to do the same myself(always explaining I am pretty new). This sport has actually brought me out of my anti-social shell.

I'm not sure I could pinpoint one favorite attribute of this sport. When you see an activity experience the kind of double-digit growth Disc Golf does year after year for decades now, there has to be many good reasons...

(1) The equipment is novel and extraordinary. We have sleek and dynamic projectiles that when thrown are extremely gratifying, and we carry an arsenal of them where each individual piece plays a different game-playing role. On top of that, the projectile's final destination is also novel and inherently rewarding. In each case, I would argue honestly that few other projectile sports come close.

(2) The playing area is (or should be!) also dynamic and thought-provoking, often aesthetic. Most of the other major projectile sports are played on boring, flat, identical rectangular surfaces by comparison, and we must use cerebral powers to guide our projectiles through territory that is hopefully uniquely challenging for each unit of chance before us. Again, few other projectile sports can make this claim.

(3) Disc golf is inexpensive, particularly when you consider how tantalizingly great its projectiles, targets and playing area is. So long as acreage is available, I can't think of one other projectile sport that comes close in the awesomeness-to-cost ratio. Can you?

(4) The culture of Disc Golf is another plus. How do I describe it? We seem to pride ourselves in the grass-roots camaraderie that you have to experience to understand. I really felt this for the first time years ago at a World's Biggest event (maybe 1992?). Most avid Disc Golfers aren't what I'd describe to be haughty, and it is my hope that it stays that way despite the rapid growth it's experiencing.

(5) Any number of participants can enjoy a completely-played game of it, from one person playing solo to many dozens in a tournament.

Last edited:
There was a recent news story ran during a B-Tier tourney and my buddy got interviewed for the story. We didn't know what they were going to use, so we got the time when it was supposed to be run and watched. He got the 'one liner' at the end of the story. He was asked what his favorite part about disc golf was and his response that was used for the newscast was "It's just like christmas morning"

So good.

There's so much to like about disc golf. Getting out there, watching a shot hit chains from 250 out (which happened to me yesterday, I was in absolute awe), being out with friends, meeting people, playing a new course, throwing a line you've never hit before. It's all so addicting!!

Latest posts