• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ferrari disc -- lots of pics

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Ferrari logo on a Discraft 167g Elite Z Flick.

I'm a Formula 1 NUT, Ferrari has always been my team, and I love all things Italian + automotive.

This one came out GREAT!!!! I used vinyl for the main cut, then masked with contact paper. All cut by hand, as always. Pics of steps below.
The green was dyed with a mix of Kelly Green dye concentrate, a little acetone, and corn starch. This creates a thick, gooey, workable dye paste that stays put. I left it on for a few hours.

4079501694_f13e93e880.jpg

4078802945_0e410dcd40_o.jpg

4078817929_8130a09960_o.jpg

The colors are more vibrant in person(as always). The green looks blue-ish in the pics, but clearly green on sight. The clear/ white parts of the disc look yellow-ish, but that's the plastic, it's impossible to tell that they were masked the whole way.

These are the discs I've dyed so far from my Discraft misprint deal. I've only thrown the Buzzz, the screaming hand is for my bassist, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep this Ferrari disc or give it to my brother. (he likes a Reaper for tomahawk shots, I think this Flick may work for him.)

4079493188_9568500915_o.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Must feel great looking at that disc and saying Ferrari. I'm enjoying just saying Ferrari right now. It's best when you say it slowly and pronounced... Ferrari

Excellent posting Bennett

Love the Ferrari disc.. and gotta love the old school screaming hand :) Any interest in selling that Ferrari disc? :)

Love the Ferrari disc.. and gotta love the old school screaming hand :) Any interest in selling that Ferrari disc? :)

I dunno, wasn't thinking about a sale when I dyed it, but every disc is for sale I guess. PM an offer. Maybe I'll throw it up on ebay. Maybe I'll just keep it, I haven't thrown it, who knows, maybe a Flick would smack the chains for me.

Great work man, I'm a graphic designer just about finished at Iowa State and I've been thinking about getting into the dying game. Looks like you've got it down too (inspiring to be truthful), is it hard to get down, or just practice makes perfect?

Last edited:
Great work man, I'm a graphic designer just about finished at Iowa State and I've been thinking about getting into the dying game. Looks like you've got it down too (inspiring to be truthful), is it hard to get down, or just practice makes perfect?

I've found that it's not hard at all. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not rocket science. The tutorials on you tube help, and any question I ran into were answered either there, or in forums here.

I'd suggest starting with a simple, mono-color dye for yer first. I'd also suggest the good vinyl. Have found most everyone on here is VERY helpful, and if you have any questions, just ask...that includes me, ask away! If ya need inspiration, look at all the threads that start with "first dyes" and the like...they are all really good.

BennettUA...That Ferrari disc is fantastic! I'm a fan, buddy!

It's not tough to get into, but it does take a bit of time and patience to do the more challenging dyes. That's it though, just patience. And a steady hand ;). Use quality materials -- good vinyl, sharp blades, good plastic, etc. I learn something new with every dye, and the group of dyers around here is helpful and growing every day.

JOIN US!!! :D

First of all, that is a GREAT dye job. you should really feel good about that one.

As for GMIL, dyeing is not nearly as hard as it looks. Like others have said, start simple so you can get a feel for it and see for yourself how easy it is. Honestly, the hardest part about trying it is convincing yourself that you can do. That and picking out a design. I stew and hem and haw over what to do next all the time. I have a list a mile long of things I want to do, so it makes it hard.

Not so much an F1 fan, but I am a car nut, and you can't beat Ferrari. Recently I saw 2 Maserati's, a Quattroporte(sp) & a Grand Tourismo. Sweet rides.

Very nice dye. I hope it flies as sweetly as a Ferrari drives.

wut exactly does it take to start in (materials and what not) and where is a good place to get them?

I wrote this up a while ago. I'm waiting to start a thread with it until I get some pictures to go along with it, and links too for that matter.

Dyeing a disc is much more simple than it sounds. The supplies can be found at any craft store (i.e. Maichaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabric) or even Wal-Mart or Target. The only thing that may not be found at those places is the Acetone, but that is at any hardware store.

The stuff you will need is:
Acetone and cotton balls
X-acto knife
Sign Vinyl or Contact Paper
Transfer Tape
RIT Fabric Dye

Step 1: Picking a design and Disc
Probably the hardest part of dyeing is deciding what you want to dye and which disc it on. This is all personal choice. However, there are some things you do need to know. Such as the fact that DX, and Pro D plastics are not worth dyeing. The dye just doesn't get into the plastic very well. Second, Discraft stamps are more of a pain to remove than Innova stamps, especially ESP and FLX. Champion and Star plastics are really your best options when dyeing. Also, you can't dye a colored disc white so sometimes it is best to start with a white disc.

Step 2: Removing the Stamp
The easiest of the steps. Simply go to your local hardware store or big box store and in the Paint section is Acetone. It is basically 100% nail polish remover. You are going to want to use the Acetone in a well vented area as it will make you a little light headed if you breath too much of it. And this stuff will eat through plastic so don't put in a plastic cup or use cheap plastic gloves. I just makes it go everywhere.

Start by pouring some Acetone on a few cotton balls (paper towels work too, but not as well as cotton balls and a large bag of cotton balls is about $1)and slowly wipe the stamp off. Try not to pour the Acetone right on the disc and the colors in the stamp will spread and those are a pain to get off. It will shock you who easily the stamps come off. Except for black stamps on white ESP discs (shutters). Those are more of a pain than they are worth. Just use a white Star disc.

Once you're done, rinse the disc off under running water and wipe clean. Viola! A clean disc.

Step 3: Cutting and Weeding Your Design
Now that you have a plan for what you want to dye and your disc is ready to go you can begin making the stencil. There are a few different ways you can go about cutting the design onto the vinyl or contact paper (from here on out I will assume you are using vinyl, but you can use either one and contact paper is much cheaper). First, you could have someone on the forums with a plotter cut out the design for you (for a fee, of course), but most people like to cut their own. To do that you can either draw the design on the vinyl if that's your thing or you can put the design underneath the vinyl (if you can see through it) or on top of the vinyl and trace it that way. Whichever way you do it, use just enough pressure with the knife to cut the vinyl but not the backing, only because it dulls the blade. Once you have the image cut out, remove (or "weed") the pieces of vinyl that you want to show through on the disc. These are the areas of the disc that will receive the dye.

Step 4: Putting the Vinyl on the Disc
This is the most stressful part of the process and the most crucial to getting a clean dye with no bleeds. You have one shot to put the vinyl on the disc because pulling it back off the disc is not an option. To begin transferring the image Place the transfer tape over the cut and weeded image. What the transfer tape does is keep everything in place when the backing of the vinyl is removed so that everything is in order, including floating pieces and things of that nature and you are not placing those pieces by hand. Once the transfer tape is covering the image use a small squeegee or an old credit card (what I use) to make sure the tape is firmly adhered to the vinyl.

To remove the backing on the vinyl peel it away from the vinyl at a 180 degree angle. By this I mean that place the image face down and peel the backing in the direct opposite direction going as slow as possible. Keep an eye out for pieces to remain stuck to the vinyl backing as this can lead to rips, tears, and missing pieces of the image.

Now that the adhesive of the vinyl is exposed you can place it on the disc. What I prefer to do is when using a transparent disc to leave the image face down with the adhesive exposed and facing upwards and the place the disc onto the vinyl. Now that the vinyl is on the disc, wrap the excess vinyl around the edge of the disc to make sure no dye gets to the bottom of the disc.

Now comes the most important part of the process to ensuring a clean dye: eliminating bubbles. Take the aforementioned squeegee or credit card and make sure the vinyl is completely on the disc and that there are no bubbles of air near any of the cuts. If you were careful in how you put the vinyl on the disc then there should not be too many bubbles to worry about, but there will always be some. Simply take the squeegee and push the air bubbles towards the cuts to completely eliminate them or simply push them away from the cuts into an area where they will cause no harm. This is usually about 1/8 of an inch away from any of the cuts. Once you confident that you taken care of all bubbles, it is time to dye.

Step 5: Dyeing the Disc
After all the work you just put into preparing the disc for dyeing, the actual dyeing process can seem downright easy. Take your RIT fabric dye and put a full packet into a pan on the stove with about 1-2 inches of water. You can get a pan at Wal-Malt for $5-8. Be very carful as the dye will stain things in your kitchen. Heat the dye and water mixture until it is simmering while stirring it to ensure that the dye it fully dissolved in the water. Once the dye is simmering, turn the heat to the dye and let it cool to a point wear you can place you hands on the side of the pan and it is still warm to the touch but not so hot that you cannot comfortably keep your hands there. If the dye is too hot you can melt the vinyl or mess up your disc.

Once the dye is at the proper temperature take the disc and grip the excess vinyl that is coming on the underside of the disc. Place the disc into the dye at an angle to ensure that no bubbles floating on the surface of the dye attach themselves to the disc. This causes the disc to have perfect little circles of undyed disc. Once the disc is in the dye tap the disc lightly a few times to loosen any bubbles that may have gotten onto it. If you are really picky, like I am, take the disc out of the dye and see if there any bubbles. Once the disc is safely back in the dye let it sit for 10-20 minutes defending on how dark you want the color to be. If you want to leave it in longer I would suggest taking the disc out of the dye and heating the dye back up the temperature and then putting the disc back into the dye. Do not heat the dye while the disc in the dye because of the what I mentioned before about overheating the disc and vinyl.

Once you are satisfied with the color you achieved rinse the dye off the disc and peel away the vinyl. Use running hot tap water to help take the vinyl off the disc to prevent having the vinyl leave a sticky residue on the disc.

And Viola! A custom dyed disc that you can be proud of!

Make sure you rinse and wipe the disc clean and let it sit for a few hours before you do anything with it to prevent the dye from transferring to anything else, like other discs, the countertop, and fabric that you don't want dye on. You can store the leftover dye in a mason jar if you so choose. The dye lasts a long time and you can get a lot of discs out of one packet of RIT.

If you want a video tutorial you can always check out YouTube. I know they have a bunch of stuff on there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
love the ferrari die just sucks that ya beat me to it lol what do ya think about alanso getttin the seat for scudaria next year? what about michael and massa?

Latest posts