• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Final Round Radio - American Disc Golf Tour

It's pretty much a dick move to beat your chest and tell the disc golf community to "put their money where their mouth is" when it comes to hashtag growthesport, then imply the only way to do so is to support this upstart event.

They are trying to create an entirely new orginization, circumventing disc golf's governing body for 30 plus years, with tenuous details. It's not going to work and is bordering on cognitive dissonance.

QFT. If this fails it's because of the lack of accountability and charging huge sums of money for an unproven event, not because the disc golf community didn't step up. Because you know where the disc golf community is? It's out playing PDGA events run by people who are conducting themselves far more professionally.

Lest we forget it's bookended by two NTs, furthering the likelihood that, unless the payout is large enough to draw big name players late(i.e. not within the 45 day window that the ADGT has laid out), the field will not be very deep.

Lest we forget it's bookended by two NTs, furthering the likelihood that, unless the payout is large enough to draw big name players late(i.e. not within the 45 day window that the ADGT has laid out), the field will not be very deep.

Two distant NTs.

I don't know the logistics of scheduling Cobblestone, but it seems like they would have aimed for a weekend before or after a big PDGA event closer to the area.

Does anyone think that the bigger companies like Innova, Discraft, and Trilogy brands will tell the players they sponsor that this tournament is a no go?

It's pretty much a dick move to beat your chest and tell the disc golf community to "put their money where their mouth is" when it comes to hashtag growthesport, then imply the only way to do so is to support this upstart event.

They are trying to create an entirely new orginization, circumventing disc golf's governing body for 30 plus years, with tenuous details. It's not going to work and is bordering on cognitive dissonance.

Hey, it gets me off the hook. My mouth has never said that we need disc golf on ESPN. I'm of the school of thought that (1) I don't care if it's on ESPN, (2) I don't think it matters, (3) I think it will fail as a spectator sport, no matter who does it, or how, so (4) it's not worth the effort, or at least my effort, or my money.

So I'll continue to enjoy and participate in the #growthe(participation)sport movement, instead.

Does anyone think that the bigger companies like Innova, Discraft, and Trilogy brands will tell the players they sponsor that this tournament is a no go?

In light of the statement that Salient didn't go through the PDGA, in part, because their competitors are there?

Interesting question.

I don't think they will outright tell them not to go.

I do think any reasonable big name pro won't see the benefit in going through all the hoops to participate in an event with so few details, especially on payout.

Common sense says that if this turns out to be a disaster, then you won't want your name or your sponsors name attached to it in anyway.

In light of the statement that Salient didn't go through the PDGA, in part, because their competitors are there?

Interesting question.

This is especially funny given that they've said ADGT shouldn't be associated with Salient.

Kudos to FRR. Now, questions for the next interview:

(1) Why a new set of rules?
(2) Who wrote them, anyway?
(3) Why the different disc standards?
(4) Does anyone believe ESPN mandated wider rims, or holes in the center, to be more visible on camera?
(5) If this is to be a live broadcast, how will a final round fit into a 2-hour time slot?

This is especially funny given that they've said ADGT shouldn't be associated with Salient.

Well, I should backtrack. Perhaps he mean that the ADGT's competitors are there.

Which leads to questions like, Is the ADGT a business, or an organization? And, Are they anti-PDGA, or just unwilling to share the glory of this endeavor? Hard to read the word "competitors" without wondering.

Well, I should backtrack. Perhaps he mean that the ADGT's competitors are there.

Which leads to questions like, Is the ADGT a business, or an organization? And, Are they anti-PDGA, or just unwilling to share the glory of this endeavor? Hard to read the word "competitors" without wondering.

Perhaps.

I wasn't trying to twist your words.

Just commenting on what I've taken away from any answers they've provided in interviews.

I think it'll be like the NFL and CFL, both "pro" levels, both respective in their own rights, however one is superior in both talent and coverage. I don't see PDGA pro's flocking to ADGT, I see instead lesser known, local pro-types getting a piece of the ADGT pie, what little bit there may be.

"This will either make disc golf....or set it back if the disc golf community doesn't come out and support its own event. Whether you like us or not, it's not us, this is a disc golf event."

"It's not about supporting one of us, it's about disc golfers need to step up and put their actions where their mouth is."

giphy-3-1435693439.gif

My thought was for a company like Innova do you want to allow your sponsored pros to play in an event that is choosing to side step the governing body of the sport. Especially when you are working with your sister company to get the world tour off the ground. Not to mention the new US Pro tour that is working with the PDGA. Innova and the other manufacturers have a vested interest in the success of the PDGA. I could see Innova telling McBeth that this tournament is a no and that they do not want the Innova brand associated with it in any way shape or form regardless of how small that might be.

Perhaps.

I wasn't trying to twist your words.

Just commenting on what I've taken away from any answers they've provided in interviews.

No sweat, I didn't think you were twisting my words, I realized I was, perhaps, a little inaccurate in my comment. Assuming there's a distinction between Salient and the ADGT, or that it's a distinction that matters.

My thought was for a company like Innova do you want to allow your sponsored pros to play in an event that is choosing to side step the governing body of the sport. Especially when you are working with your sister company to get the world tour off the ground. Not to mention the new US Pro tour that is working with the PDGA. Innova and the other manufacturers have a vested interest in the success of the PDGA. I could see Innova telling McBeth that this tournament is a no and that they do not want the Innova brand associated with it in any way shape or form regardless of how small that might be.

These companies don't object to their players playing non-sanctioned events like ice bowls, local minis, doubles, leagues, etc...encourage it even. Those events, to a degree (by being unsanctioned), are side stepping the PDGA. Hard for them to single out one or two non-sanctioned events that they effectively ban their players from for political reasons.

I think the players can make up their own minds without the sponsors getting involved.

I thought it about myself, but now I agree that no sponsor would hold their players back from the ADGT. They probably look at Salient/ADGT as a joke but not a threat at all.

However, I dont see a ton of pros playing it just because of the NT situation.

These companies don't object to their players playing non-sanctioned events like ice bowls, local minis, doubles, leagues, etc...encourage it even. Those events, to a degree (by being unsanctioned), are side stepping the PDGA. Hard for them to single out one or two non-sanctioned events that they effectively ban their players from for political reasons.

I think the players can make up their own minds without the sponsors getting involved.

I haven't a clue whether they'll ban, or discourage, players from attending. But there's a big difference between a non-PDGA event, and an anti-PDGA event, which this seems to be.

I haven't a clue whether they'll ban, or discourage, players from attending. But there's a big difference between a non-PDGA event, and an anti-PDGA event, which this seems to be.

I doubt they'll pay the membership & entry fees. But who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of sponsors?

Maybe their sponsors would encourage it. If I owned a business that pertained to disc golf and I sponsored top players and there was a chance they could highlight my logo on ESPN 1,2,3,8 or whatever.....would it not be a no brainer to encourage them to play and even pay a whopping 300$ to get them in? Sounds like cheap advertising for me in the grand scheme of things...imo