• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally broke 500 feet!!!

I think the main reason I want to develop my form is to reduce the effort required for the distance, and save my shoulder muscles so I can play effectively later on in my life.

Awesome job breaking 500. I'm hoping to get that in a couple years.

That said Udisc let me down yesterday, the best accuracy I could get was +-12' and we measured my longest twice and got 545 and 580... I measured on google earth this morning and got 525'. The trees were in the way of the more favorable line, but we still got some crushes out there.

I play several places where cell service isnt great- so I picked up one of these for my umbrella holder-

image_13496.jpg

$10 at harbor freight- telescoping handle.

Those aren't accurate unless you are measuring flat concrete or blacktop, especially a small wheel like that. You end up measuring the height of every clump of dirt, rock, or dog turd that you run over. If you go down and back up a 6 foot slope, you have added 12 feet to your throw.

One of the longest holes on my home course is around 600 ft par four and it's mostly open, curving gently to the right. Willmore hole 11. It has brick markers embedded in the fairway at 200, 300 and I believe 400 ft. Rarely do I see anyone land significantly past the 300 ft brick. Does that surprise anyone given all the folks who claim to throw 400, 500, even 600 ft? St. Louis people must have some weak azz arms relative to the rest of the country. I obviously don't believe that, but it does show you that golf lines and pure distance lines are not the same thing and I'm not sure that there is much correlation between the two.

OP, I promise you I'm not trying to poo on your accomplishment. But when I see all of these distance discussions, I wonder if I should be happy with the distances I can accurately throw or keep trying for that extra 20 feet? Should I stop obsessing about how far I can throw in a field? For me, I think the answer is yes. I should be working on developing a serviceable forehand or a more consistent turnover shot. And putting.

Exactly on point with the field distance versus course distance. I spent years throwing in my parents field, I developed some huge anhyzer distance shots. The other day I threw 623' (15+mph left to right tail wind, slight downhill slope the whole way, and yes I threw hundred of shots that day). Compare that to my on course distance which I rarely ever attempt to achieve a throw over 400'

My development story condensed version:
Last year: I was trying every huge shot I could on the course. Regularly hitting 450' on wide open holes with tail wind. Still try those shots on tight holes, usually carding a bogey.

This year: Trying to do more placement shots, even on those wide open holes placement is key. Longest shot during a round this year, maybe 415', maybe a bit less.

The results: I just played a tournament I had played last year. This year, (2) OB strokes one of which was a circle 3. Last year I had 5+ OB strokes. Last year I shot: 55 & 58 This year I shot 53 and 52. Something of note that 52 was in a constant downpour. I like my progress and as I increase my approach accuracy those scores will get even better.

*disclaimer the tournament had temp holes this year which I deducted from my score. Swinging Bridge open. My PDGA #61500

Those aren't accurate unless you are measuring flat concrete or blacktop, especially a small wheel like that. You end up measuring the height of every clump of dirt, rock, or dog turd that you run over. If you go down and back up a 6 foot slope, you have added 12 feet to your throw.

Of course- I'm not measuring massive hilly shots with it though- and the smaller variations would probably still be more accurate than the variation of Udiscs GPS when signal is sketchy.

Psshhhh...

I can throw 500' feet easy...

...if you give me two throws!

Awesome job and congrats on the milestone. The folks you listed have helped out my game plenty without even knowing it. Looks like I need to start tossing putters more often in field practice. How far should I be throwing putters and mids before stepping up to fairway drivers? I was thinking 250-300' consistently but I also was thinking I should ask the distance gurus about this...

It seems many you with weaker arms get the impression that someone with 500'+ power can't play actual disc golf. I can throw a PD 400'+ with accuracy and consistency. I will agree with the fact that being able to throw 500'+ on a max distance huge s curve does not necessarily transfer directly to the course.

^THIS! One of the first comments on every distance thread is Drive for show putt for dough. If you cant throw far you better putt well, if you can throw far you can also putt well. It is possible to do both.

Also, I don't understand how people doesn't understand why throwing 400+ is beneficial. The farther you can throw, the farther you can throw a hyzer. The farther you can throw a hyzer the better you are going to score keeping all other skills equal. There is a reason the top pros are throwing hyzers on every shot at fountain hills during the memorial . . . because they can. Throwing a 500' flexed out S super high in the air is not that beneficial, but the 400' hyzer that comes with that 500' of power is a huge weapon on the course.

How far should I be throwing putters and mids before stepping up to fairway drivers? I was thinking 250-300' consistently but I also was thinking I should ask the distance gurus about this...

Throw all your discs. The point I think is don't ignore your putters. If you only throw putters you'll have to remember how to keep your nose angle proper going back to the drivers, and you may have to throw harder again. If you only throw drivers, you may be OAT'ing your shots a bit that they ignore but it would be enough to turn over your putters (even a gradual turn, not just flipped into the ground...but it's still there depending on the disc). I think the point is just don't throw OS Destroyers and Firebirds as your main discs if you max at 300'. Even if you only throw putters 200' you can still throw mellower fairway drivers (like Leopards or DX/Gstar Teebirds) and they won't teach you bad habits at all.

If you can throw putters 250' straight you're doing well and should have a lot of good shots with fairways and faster drivers that aren't super beefy. If you're throwing 300' with putters you'll be throwing faster stuff really well as long as you throw it faster.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you can throw a neutral/stable putter about 250' you are doing well to avoid bad oat and should be able to throw most discs. I find it easiest to gauge overall efficiency improvement by comparing your putter drive improvement rather than more flukey drivers.

^THIS! One of the first comments on every distance thread is Drive for show putt for dough. If you cant throw far you better putt well, if you can throw far you can also putt well. It is possible to do both.

Also, I don't understand how people doesn't understand why throwing 400+ is beneficial. The farther you can throw, the farther you can throw a hyzer. The farther you can throw a hyzer the better you are going to score keeping all other skills equal. There is a reason the top pros are throwing hyzers on every shot at fountain hills during the memorial . . . because they can. Throwing a 500' flexed out S super high in the air is not that beneficial, but the 400' hyzer that comes with that 500' of power is a huge weapon on the course.

Because throwing 500 ft (no disrespect to the OP) but not being quite sure where it's going to land is a frisbee skill, while throwing 400 ft but knowing exactly where it's going to land, regardless of what's in the way, is a disc golf skill. It's like saying that I can hit a baseball 500 feet during an Indian ball game. Okay, that's pretty cool, but don't try to tell me how good you are at baseball if that's all you got. :D

Because throwing 500 ft (no disrespect to the OP) but not being quite sure where it's going to land is a frisbee skill, while throwing 400 ft but knowing exactly where it's going to land, regardless of what's in the way, is a disc golf skill. It's like saying that I can hit a baseball 500 feet during an Indian ball game. Okay, that's pretty cool, but don't try to tell me how good you are at baseball if that's all you got. :D

You do realize that the same point I was making right? If you can throw 500'+ consistently there's a really good chance you can throw 400' consistently and accurately on a hyzer.

Most people that can learn how to throw 500ft, can learn how to putt at an elite level. The same mental focus to execute a 500+ft shot is needed to make a 40ft putt. Driving just happens to be more fun and its easy to get brain banged because they haven't practiced putting enough.

You do realize that the same point I was making right? If you can throw 500'+ consistently there's a really good chance you can throw 400' consistently and accurately on a hyzer.

My bad. I just didn't think the "accurately" part was being stressed and it makes a big difference. If you are throwing 400 ft accurately you are beating many people. Conversely, if you are throwing 400 ft but are not sure where it's going, then many people are likely beating you.

I am always confused with all of the "yeah you can throw far but in what direction?" stuff that goes on in these threads. This one has been civil, but in the past it seems like lots of jealousy. I don't see lots of people who can throw far but have zero accuracy. Drivers don't go that much further than fairway drivers when thrown on a line drive (like 30-60' for most people?). If you can line drive a high speed disc 400+ you can do that like 12' off the ground and you'll have great accuracy. If you're throwing it that far you are getting it up to its cruising speed pretty easily and you likely aren't hucking 110%. That also means you can back off on a Teebird and get it 350' even more accurately.

Do people think that a 400' shot needs a 40' high flex shot from a pretty neutral disc that who knows where it will end up? If you can throw 350' actual line drives then maybe...but throwing 400' line drives isn't much less accurate than 350' line drives for the most part I find. I bet guys who throw 475'+ on line drives also throw those in a pretty consistent landing zone too, relative to how far they are throwing it (no the grouping won't be the same as a 250' putter shot, but they won't be in opposite corners of the field or halfway up the tree 30 degrees to your right).

I am always confused with all of the "yeah you can throw far but in what direction?" stuff that goes on in these threads. This one has been civil, but in the past it seems like lots of jealousy. I don't see lots of people who can throw far but have zero accuracy. Drivers don't go that much further than fairway drivers when thrown on a line drive (like 30-60' for most people?). If you can line drive a high speed disc 400+ you can do that like 12' off the ground and you'll have great accuracy. If you're throwing it that far you are getting it up to its cruising speed pretty easily and you likely aren't hucking 110%. That also means you can back off on a Teebird and get it 350' even more accurately.

Do people think that a 400' shot needs a 40' high flex shot from a pretty neutral disc that who knows where it will end up? If you can throw 350' actual line drives then maybe...but throwing 400' line drives isn't much less accurate than 350' line drives for the most part I find. I bet guys who throw 475'+ on line drives also throw those in a pretty consistent landing zone too, relative to how far they are throwing it (no the grouping won't be the same as a 250' putter shot, but they won't be in opposite corners of the field or halfway up the tree 30 degrees to your right).

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I guess I get annoyed with my friends that throw far but can't keep it on the fairway. I feel like they should supply the Deep Woods Off for every round. And you're darn right I'm jealous of the guy that can throw farther and more accurately than me. Those guys have earned all the respect they get, while big armed chuckers deserve all the razzing I can muster on the course.

Yeah it can be annoying if it goes into the woods half the time. I see that more from guys trying to overthrow FH flex lines past their ability. I guess I just haven't run into guys who have the form to crush big distance but don't know how to use it...I'm guessing those people are the more natural athletes who just threw properly from week 1 and didn't have to build up the learning like lots of us in the technique section.

Solution: let's post our round ratings each weekend and describe what shots were good and what shots cost us strokes.
I personally doubt that we will see many "Taking a 3 on the 450' hole 4 lost me a stroke, which was all I needed for a 970".

It'll be "on hole 7 I three putted because I was too aggressive on the 35' birdie try". Or "I took a 5 on hole 7 because I repeatedly tried to get up and down but hit tree after tree."

Talking about getting more distance isn't helping us be better discers.

The vast majority of us, that are toiling away at field work to develop a clean/powerful form - see big long term benefits. Why? Because the same process that makes a disc fly far, makes it fly on the exact angles you want it to fly - and with much less effort.

The number of people who repeat this specific phrase is key: effortless.

When you're throwing a 300'-400' shot and it's truly effortless because you're not strong arming or over-engaging all your muscles or using a big jarring x-step... then you can play 18 holes, 21+ and roll back to the car feeling like you didn't remotely break a sweat. Your neck isn't sore, your back doesn't ache.

And at least in my personal case, I spend maybe 1 day a week working on distance. The other days, it's 100', 150', 200', 250' - hyzer / flat / anhyzer / from a knee / behind an obstruction. And then putting as much as humanly possible.

Talking about the mechanics/motions/functions that get more distance IMO does make us better discers. It's how we learn to throw clean flat discs on whatever angles we want - and put them in the spots we want to - with the power coming from the right places, not the wrong ones.

Seen a kid chuck one last week first shot of leagues over 500 feet. Slightly downhill but landed 100 feet past. The rest of the night nothing was over 400 feet and way off line. But damn did he bomb that first one.

BTW: Great accomplishment. Lots of hard work involved, good job. :)

Latest posts