• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finder's fee

Hook,

I get your frustration, I really do. The vast majority of the people I've dealt with returning discs have been decent people and are either grateful to get their property back or simply don't want it back. However the people who expect you do to all the work, or are not grateful at all tend to be the ones you remember. Combining that with the holier than thou attitudes of Ru4por and others here makes it really hard to want to do the right thing sometimes. But at the end of the day it is the right thing. Someone here (big sky maybe?) has a solution that I adopted for a while. Just don't pick the disc up. In my mind that's a better way to handle things that assuming the guy who lost the disc is a bad guy and keeping him from finding his disc by chucking it in a pond or stream. The odds are that the next guy will keep the disc, but at least it's not on you.

Lol. I never thought of the attempt to simply do the right thing by others, opposed to struggling to find a loophole to benefit me, as holy in any terms.
I think the poster stating he no longer picks up lost disc, does so to avoid the hassle of returning other people property, not because he gets no reward or thanks. Nor because of any ethical dilemma. Honestly, I no longer put my name on discs, because I don't want the hassle of making others have to call and attempt to return. As usual with this debate, (re-hashed here dozens of times) there will be no consensus of opinion.

As usual with this debate, (re-hashed here dozens of times) there will be no consensus of opinion.

Agreed.
Ironically. ;)

...and agreed: my folks raised me by the golden rule, even though we're not even church goers, and certainly not holier than thou. Live and let live, I'll do what helps me sleep every night with a clear conscience.

Agreed.
Ironically. ;)

...and agreed: my folks raised me by the golden rule, even though we're not even church goers, and certainly not holier than thou. Live and let live, I'll do what helps me sleep every night with a clear conscience.
I respect both you and Ru4por and agree that inked discs should be called, but when you say things like "my parents taught me better" (which both of you have said) you are implying that the other person's parents failed to teach them right from wrong, or that you are a better person than them. This is the very definition of holier than thou, and quite frankly is very off-putting.

I don't know whether you, Ru4por or anyone else actually returns discs you find. I will judge you by your actions, not your words. If you ever return a disc to me, I'll believe you. Until then I neither believe or disbelieve.

Most people around here will use the Mt Airy pro shop (The Nati) to drop discs off they found on any course in the area.
Something like this would simplify matters greatly, and I'd be happy to use it. Too bad C-bus doesn't have any courses nice enough for an on-site pro shop.

Honestly, I pity anyone who gets worked up about discs. I'm not saying you shouldn't get upset if that's your thing, I just pity you. Personally, if I have some sentimental attachment to something I don't take it out in the woods and throw it. That philosophy seems to help me stay (somewhat) sane, and keep disc golf in perspective.

Lol. I never thought of the attempt to simply do the right thing by others, opposed to struggling to find a loophole to benefit me, as holy in any terms.
I think the poster stating he no longer picks up lost disc, does so to avoid the hassle of returning other people property, not because he gets no reward or thanks. Nor because of any ethical dilemma. Honestly, I no longer put my name on discs, because I don't want the hassle of making others have to call and attempt to return. As usual with this debate, (re-hashed here dozens of times) there will be no consensus of opinion.

You struggle to find a loophole to not have to own up to YOUR actions. YOU made the bad throw. YOU didn't put in the effort of finding the disc because the effort trumped the value. Didn't mommy teach you to be a man? No one needs to hold your hand and and make sure you get your abandoned disc back just because you drew on it like a child draws on a wall. Put some responsibility in YOUR actions. Once again. I've never inked a disc and I never will. You find my abandoned disc and it's yours. I can own up to my actions. It's not your or anyone else's responsibility.

You struggle to find a loophole to not have to own up to YOUR actions. YOU made the bad throw. YOU didn't put in the effort of finding the disc because the effort trumped the value. Didn't mommy teach you to be a man? No one needs to hold your hand and and make sure you get your abandoned disc back just because you drew on it like a child draws on a wall. Put some responsibility in YOUR actions. Once again. I've never inked a disc and I never will. You find my abandoned disc and it's yours. I can own up to my actions. It's not your or anyone else's responsibility.

It's called goodwill, and were it not for the goodwill of others, you wouldn't have courses to play on. It's a respectful thing to do, and demonstrates a good sense of ethics. Whether or not it's childish to mark your property with your name, and number is debatable to say the least. Adults put their name, or contact information on their possessions all the time. From animals, to power/hand tools.

Making a decision to keep, or return property that you can clearly see who it belongs to speaks volumes about your character, or lack thereof. If you're ever on a construction site, and find a tool with a name on it, and decide to not try to return it, what do you think is going to happen if the owner sees you with it? Tell the guy it's his fault for forgetting it somewhere, and that he shouldn't have scrawled his name on it like a child. Tell him to take personal responsibility, and suck it up. See how that works out for you.

People shouldn't be rude, or demanding if you're returning their property, but regardless, it is the ethical thing to do.

It's called goodwill, and were it not for the goodwill of others, you wouldn't have courses to play on. It's a respectful thing to do, and demonstrates a good sense of ethics. Whether or not it's childish to mark your property with your name, and number is debatable to say the least. Adults put their name, or contact information on their possessions all the time. From animals, to power/hand tools.

Making a decision to keep, or return property that you can clearly see who it belongs to speaks volumes about your character, or lack thereof. If you're ever on a construction site, and find a tool with a name on it, and decide to not try to return it, what do you think is going to happen if the owner sees you with it? Tell the guy it's his fault for forgetting it somewhere, and that he shouldn't have scrawled his name on it like a child. Tell him to take personal responsibility, and suck it up. See how that works out for you.

People shouldn't be rude, or demanding if you're returning their property, but regardless, it is the ethical thing to do.

A power tool you intend to come back for. Completely different. Do I need to copy/paste what abandoned property is again? Do some research? Read the entire thread?

A power tool you intend to come back for. Completely different. Do I need to copy/paste what abandoned property is again? Do some research? Read the entire thread?

I read the thread, but you're not omniscient. You do not know the circumstances enough to deduce the how, and why of the disc being where it is. You're making a judgment call with somebody else's property.

Using the power tool example. I'll go out on a limb, and make the assumption that you have never worked on a construction site. At the end of a shift, it's easy to get wrapped up in what you're doing, and have to rush to get all your stuff together at the end of the day. Perhaps you were working in multiple areas, and left your impact drill near the switch gear in an electrical room, and didn't realize it was missing until you got home. By that time, even though you would like to get it back, you can't because the facility is closed to your trade. Then some maintenance guy who works 2nd shift sees it, reads your name on it, but keeps it anyway. If you didn't lock it up, or take it with you, it is safe to think you didn't want it, right?

Who are you to decide what value something has to somebody? You cannot accurately determine that, and try as hard as you want to rationalize otherwise, you're making a decision to willingly not return an item that you know belongs to somebody else.

well i wouldnt say "gimme 5" like, right away, but I think a used disc, or beers, or 2-5$ is appropriate for somebody finding AND returning YOUR disc to you. Not a dick move, but depends on how its said and all that.

To paraphrase one of my favorite John Wooden quotes:

"Sports don't build character. They reveal it."

I read the thread, but you're not omniscient. You do not know the circumstances enough to deduce the how, and why of the disc being where it is. You're making a judgment call with somebody else's property.

Using the power tool example. I'll go out on a limb, and make the assumption that you have never worked on a construction site. At the end of a shift, it's easy to get wrapped up in what you're doing, and have to rush to get all your stuff together at the end of the day. Perhaps you were working in multiple areas, and left your impact drill near the switch gear in an electrical room, and didn't realize it was missing until you got home. By that time, even though you would like to get it back, you can't because the facility is closed to your trade. Then some maintenance guy who works 2nd shift sees it, reads your name on it, but keeps it anyway. If you didn't lock it up, or take it with you, it is safe to think you didn't want it, right?

Who are you to decide what value something has to somebody? You cannot accurately determine that, and try as hard as you want to rationalize otherwise, you're making a decision to willingly not return an item that you know belongs to somebody else.

disc golf disc

Property is generally deemed to have been abandoned if it is found in a place where the true owner likely intended to leave it, but is in such a condition that it is apparent that he or she has no intention of returning to claim it. Abandoned property generally becomes the property of whoever should find it and take possession of it first, although some states have enacted statutes under which certain kinds of abandoned property*– usually cars, wrecked ships and wrecked aircraft*–escheat, meaning that they become the property of the state.[10]

Power tool

Property is generally deemed to have beenmislaid*or*misplaced*if it is found in a place where the true owner likely*did*intend to set it, but then simply forgot to pick it up again. For example, a wallet found in a shop lying on a counter near a cash register will likely be deemed*misplaced*rather than*lost. Under common law principles, the finder of a misplaced object has a duty to turn it over to the owner of the premises, on the theory that the true owner is likely to return to that location to search for his misplaced item. If the true owner does not return within a reasonable time (which varies considerably depending on the circumstances), the property becomes that of the owner of the premises.[9]

I don't determine the value. You do when you decide to not get in the water and get it or give up searching for it. That's called abandoning. Once again I return inked discs for free because people feel so entitled. Not on my dime though. I just don't agree with the concept which is why I never ink discs. People who find discs should be appreciated and rewarded. No need for plastic to rot. I feel like this is a never ending circle.

disc golf disc

Property is generally deemed to have been abandoned if it is found in a place where the true owner likely intended to leave it, but is in such a condition that it is apparent that he or she has no intention of returning to claim it..

I didn't intend to leave it in the pond. I intended to return and claim it---with the proper clothes/tools/times.

How can a finder judge otherwise?

And out of curiosity, what is the citation for this quotation?

I didn't intend to leave it in the pond. I intended to return and claim it---with the proper clothes/tools/times.

This is where logic comes in. You in fact didn't intend to come back for the disc is what logic would tell us. Logic would tell us if a disc is in a basket, by a teepad, in the parking lot that the owner probably intends to come back for it. Logic would also tell us you feel entitled because we owe you.

Sometimes people return to look for their lost discs.
Sometimes people don't return to look for their lost discs.
Therefore, people never intend to return to look for their lost discs.
????????????????????????????????

I'm rusty on my fallacies, but I strongly suspect that's one of them.

Therefore, people never intend to return to look for their lost discs.

I never said that and obviously disagree.

So it's fallacy because you said so? Or because that one guy was going to come back next year and find his disc in the lake?

.....At any rate, I'm about to be sans internet for several days, so I leave the stage to you.

I think you did.

How does logic tell you what I intend?

I've returned to look for my lost discs many dozens of times. I've returned to look for the same lost disc multiple times. I'm not unique.

No you're not unique, just another post amasser.