• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding Discs: Proper Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhinos00

Par Member
Over the course of the last week or so I have found 9 golf discs that have had names and numbers on them. Earlier today I gave each one of them a call. Only one person actually answered the phone and he let me keep the disc (DX Cheetah) for my honesty. I left messages for the other 8 individuals. Just wondering how long I should wait before claiming the other discs? How long do you normally wait before crossing out the name and number and inserting yours? I'm thinking a week...

If these people don't call you back in a week or two I'd say they are subject to be used in your arsenal. Just be prepared to part with it if they end up calling you back.

i found a tye dye z force just sitting on a hill a few days ago, and there was a name and number on it. a full name. so i decided to check him out on facebook, and his profile is mostly public. i read stuff on his wall and looked at pictures of him, and it became apparent that he was a giant douche who goes to one of the most open courses in town to drink beer, throw cans everywhere, and throw sidearm on you while you are trying to putt out.

it's part of my collection now.

i found a tye dye z force just sitting on a hill a few days ago, and there was a name and number on it. a full name. so i decided to check him out on facebook, and his profile is mostly public. i read stuff on his wall and looked at pictures of him, and it became apparent that he was a giant douche who goes to one of the most open courses in town to drink beer, throw cans everywhere, and throw sidearm on you while you are trying to putt out.

Dude, that is awesome! Never thought about doing a little detective work...too late now since I already called. ;)

If these people don't call you back in a week or two I'd say they are subject to be used in your arsenal. Just be prepared to part with it if they end up calling you back.

That's what I would do but keep calling and really try to return them

that basically sums it up.

I called one guy back in October and he called me back in November. I never used his disc (Stratus X) because it wasn't what I was looking for - I threw it a couple of times after finding it), we made a plan to meet at the course and play a round, but he never showed up. I ended up having his disc in my bag until April when I went and played my first weekly doubles tournament and he happened to be the guy that held onto the 2.00 entries. When I introduced myself I asked if he had that disc before and if his phone number was the one on the disc and he called my phone from that number right there, so I gave it back. But yeah, it took me 6 months to return a disc once.

i name & number all my discs.... i always the person if i find one too... its what i would want to happen if i lost mine.

Do what I do. Call. No answer? Hold onto it and use it. Call again every few days, but use it anyway. And return it if/when they call.

I too have done the facebook search. The person whose name was on the last disc I found didn't have disc golf listed under his activities section so I figured he wasn't true to the game. I mean if you play the game and love it, your facebook profile will tell the world right? And I know it was THE dude so don't think it was another guy. Now I call the disc Jacob in honour of him. Jacob flies nice. I don't make any attempt to remove or obscure the name, nor do I name and number my discs. Not only does it look tacky, but I believe it plants a seed in my mind that will ultimately cause me to throw a cruddy shot and lose it. Think positive and don't lose your disc. If you do lose it, don't expect to get it back. Unless it is a crappy disc. Then maybe. I suck.

I called one guy back in October and he called me back in November. I never used his disc (Stratus X) because it wasn't what I was looking for - I threw it a couple of times after finding it), we made a plan to meet at the course and play a round, but he never showed up. I ended up having his disc in my bag until April when I went and played my first weekly doubles tournament and he happened to be the guy that held onto the 2.00 entries. When I introduced myself I asked if he had that disc before and if his phone number was the one on the disc and he called my phone from that number right there, so I gave it back. But yeah, it took me 6 months to return a disc once.

I'm a big disc returner, but by that time, I probably would have thrown it and lost it myself.

I too have done the facebook search. The person whose name was on the last disc I found didn't have disc golf listed under his activities section so I figured he wasn't true to the game. I mean if you play the game and love it, your facebook profile will tell the world right? And I know it was THE dude so don't think it was another guy. Now I call the disc Jacob in honour of him. Jacob flies nice. I don't make any attempt to remove or obscure the name, nor do I name and number my discs. Not only does it look tacky, but I believe it plants a seed in my mind that will ultimately cause me to throw a cruddy shot and lose it. Think positive and don't lose your disc. If you do lose it, don't expect to get it back. Unless it is a crappy disc. Then maybe. I suck.

dont worry, i sold it for 13 dollars last night and used the money to buy beer

That is what I do. I call them, let them know all the info and such and wait a week or two. I then will probably throw it, but with the intention of giving it back if they ever do call back.

If they don't answer or call back within a couple of weeks, the disc is yours.

They lost it, you have it. Posession is 9/10 of the law.

But really...I mean if the disc is important to them, they'll call back and want to go out of their way to get it back.

I'm not someone's personal disc storage unit until they get around to contacting me and confirming whether or not they want their plastic back.

We have this problem all the time in our home course. I call folks when I find a disc. They get three phone calls in a week. If they don't answer, I leave a voicemail and give them another week. If I can't find them on facebook or they don't have an email combined with the two weeks of me leaving calls, I consider the disc mine...

...and it has netted me a nice Star Destroyer, several Buzz-z.....it's just part of the sport...if you lose it and don't follow up...you lost it.

Roll Tide

I guess the difference is that I play in almost every tournament around and I also run a weekly series that averages over 60 players a week. I assume that people who play in tournaments write their names on their discs. New players probably don't. If there is a name on the disc I will eventually see that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts