• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finnish putting game

For you Android folk looking to download the app for your phone instead of using the web based app. I used my ES File Explorer app to download the .apk file, and now I have the JYLY app that doesn't need the interwebs. HAPPY PUTTING is what I wished happened instead of my disturbingly bad putting (high of 360)... Anyways, I love the game and I will see some improvements thanks to it.
The Android app for JYLY (or at least an early-but-somewhat-functional) alpha build for it is finished! But also for you with iPhones or Windows Phones or whatever, take a look at the bottom of this post... ;)

Standard warnings first. I cannot guarantee that this application doesn't mess up your device. I am using it, like I'm using my previous applications and no problems have emerged so far (heck, I should know what it does and I know that it shouldn't mess up anything), but I cannot guarantee anything for your devices. You install it - you take the risk. You mess up your phone with JYLY - your fault. You have been warned.

Now, you need to allow your device to install applications from unknown sources. This is due to the fact that JYLY is distributed and installed via downloadable .apk file. Minimum android version required is 2.3.3.

You can download the .apk for the current build from here

I uploaded a video on youtube for demonstrating the app functionalities.

The version in the video is 0.2.0, current version being 0.2.1. One button was added (WIPE DATA in stats). The button will erase your history in JYLY, so you don't have to wipe app data in application manager.

Now, as an addition I tested the web-app capabilities of JYLY. For those not using Android devices, there's an online browser-based app available at http://jyly.altervista.org/ that should work properly. The functionalities are pretty much the same as with the Android app, with few exeptions - web app needs internet connection and you probably want to prevent your screen auto rotate and lock it to portrait (the app is opimized for portrait operation. it should work just as well with horizontal screen or desktop browser but may look ugly). The history is saved with the web app too, only instead of the JYLY's own data storage, your browser's one.

Happy putting folks!

iloreplica (the programmer JYLY mentioned earlier)

I'm pronouncing it jaɪˈlaɪˈ. Don't know if that's right or not. Maybe Finnish putting is better for us Americans :/

Not sure how to interpret that phonetic spelling, but 1 vote for "high-lye," sort of like the sport jai alai. Played today and found it usefully motivating. Web-based app worked great on iphone. After one round I changed the distances to start at ~5m and go to ~8m, since my 10m putt is a bit of a hail mary lob. Our backyard has pavers that correspond to those increments; I'm throwing at a hole cut in a tarp that is approximately the shape and size of the silhouette of a basket. The more speed on the disc, the more the tarp gives and the more likely the disc is to find its way through, which is a useful incentive for straightening out my standard lob.

Cheers to iloreplica and JYLY!

Last edited:
Just saw this, sounds awesome. Thanks to JYLY for the game and to all that worked on app and web version. Can't wait to make up a rope to take wherever I play.

Long time without updates. Finally I managed to dig the source code up and actually do something with it. Quick look at the jyly.altervista.org dashboard shows that the average visitor count on the page is somewhere around 40 per day! I cannot get any statistics for the android app, but the website alone makes this kind of "Worth it!" experience. Thank you all for the interest! Now, the update:

I've been getting request about adding a separate database for a putting style X or environment Y. Well, I kind of did it the "You decide" -route and added another standard bracket, called Normal 2, which can be used to log your uphill putts, straddle putts or whatever you need to log outside of your regular practise. I just uploaded the version 0.4.0 to the dropbox. The testing for it has been quite minimal, however. The new mechanics worked well on the development platform, and I did an installation test to verify that indeed your old rounds will be saved - at least for me they did. :p

So far only the Android application has the update (go and install!), but I'll try to get the jyly.altervista.org updated as well within one hour or so.

For the future I've planned a graph overhaul. I'll try to make the graph pannable, so that large number of rounds can still be tapped open with ease. Don't know if the approach I used on the distance measurement app works, but that's at least a start.

http://ikihongatkolajaa.blogspot.fi/p/jyly-puttipeli.html

Keep putting!

Long time without updates. Finally I managed to dig the source code up and actually do something with it. Quick look at the jyly.altervista.org dashboard shows that the average visitor count on the page is somewhere around 40 per day! I cannot get any statistics for the android app, but the website alone makes this kind of "Worth it!" experience. Thank you all for the interest! Now, the update:

I've been getting request about adding a separate database for a putting style X or environment Y. Well, I kind of did it the "You decide" -route and added another standard bracket, called Normal 2, which can be used to log your uphill putts, straddle putts or whatever you need to log outside of your regular practise. I just uploaded the version 0.4.0 to the dropbox. The testing for it has been quite minimal, however. The new mechanics worked well on the development platform, and I did an installation test to verify that indeed your old rounds will be saved - at least for me they did. :p

So far only the Android application has the update (go and install!), but I'll try to get the jyly.altervista.org updated as well within one hour or so.

For the future I've planned a graph overhaul. I'll try to make the graph pannable, so that large number of rounds can still be tapped open with ease. Don't know if the approach I used on the distance measurement app works, but that's at least a start.

http://ikihongatkolajaa.blogspot.fi/p/jyly-puttipeli.html

Keep putting!

You sir, rock.

Thank you so much for all this! Best putting game out there.

Ok, this went a bit easier than I expected. a0.4.1 is live on jyly.altervista.org and downloadable from the site on my signature.

So, I switched the graph altogether and now as the amount of rounds grows, instead of making a mess the graph gracefully grows until a certain point before becoming clipped and pannable. The other functionalities I tried to keep as close to original as possible.

I still need to work a bit with this one, mainly concerning the required tap accuracy in the nodes. Now you need to have quite an accurate tap to open the node stats. Also, when you open a node and right away try to open a new node, there is a short flicker where the text prompting to tap nodes shows momentarily between the node stats. It's due to how the code takes touch input and is a side-effect of the code making sure things are run in the correct order.

Some testing with android with both jyly.altervista.org and android app, as well as a quick assignment to my friend with iPhone showed good results!

I tried a slightly different version of this game last night. I thought it was good practice so I'll share. In order to practice my primary (straight-on) and secondary (straddle) stances, I've split the game up into two halves.

The first half (ten rounds) I'll stick with my primary stance. After that I like to take a small break and refocus. The next half (second ten rounds) I'll switch to the secondary stance and finish out with all straddle putts.

It's been interesting to see what my scores are. My secondary stance has definitely improved as I've tried to commit to daily putting practice in 2016 (doing well - only missed three days so far!). The ultimate goal this year is to get my straddle putts going - hopefully to the point where they are about equal to my straight-on approach.

was low 600s at the end of the season last year, just picked them up and shot a 506. Time to start putting more before it gets warm enough to go play!

Just got my highest score of 607 pts a couple days ago. It was getting kind of dark midway through but I seemed to be throwing more into the basket. Either it made me focus and concentrate more or I should wear a blindfold while putting. Also just purchased a towch which I plan on attaching to my belt loop so I won't have to bend down for the next disc. Yes, I'm lazy. Tried holding the discs in my other hand but I prefer not to so we'll see how the towch works out. Anyone else use one for this purpose?

Just got my highest score of 607 pts a couple days ago. It was getting kind of dark midway through but I seemed to be throwing more into the basket. Either it made me focus and concentrate more or I should wear a blindfold while putting. Also just purchased a towch which I plan on attaching to my belt loop so I won't have to bend down for the next disc. Yes, I'm lazy. Tried holding the discs in my other hand but I prefer not to so we'll see how the towch works out. Anyone else use one for this purpose?

I usually end up putting a bench or stool or something next to where I'm throwing. I think having the discs swinging from my belt would probably annoy me.

I usually end up putting a bench or stool or something next to where I'm throwing. I think having the discs swinging from my belt would probably annoy me.

Hadn't thought of that. I needed a towel anyway for when I play at the course so no loss if it ends up being annoying for finnish putting.

i use my camp stool. put 5 putters on it, putt, then depending on how many i make, i move the stool, pick up the discs, and repeat. can't stand picking up discs off the ground 100 times plus the missed putts..