• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firefly

The plastic felt better in my opinion than anything offered by Discmania. I wish innova would make all of their putters in it.

I'm loving the nexus aviars, great grip and stiffness. Great for putting and throwing. Less than great availability.

So it finally happened! 2800 Glow Nexus firefly's dropped on the proshop yesterday evening. I've got a few coming, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I really wanted to get a handful of these, but at that price point, no thank you. I am hoping discmania will get to make a P2 in a similar plastic at some point or this plastic millennium is talking about for the omega4 will be close. I really dislike where the disc golf market has headed the past year or so.

I really wanted to get a handful of these, but at that price point, no thank you. I am hoping discmania will get to make a P2 in a similar plastic at some point or this plastic millennium is talking about for the omega4 will be close. I really dislike where the disc golf market has headed the past year or so.

Me too looking back at 2019 as 2020 is a big ? Funk. I feel soon only brands you can find that are PDGA approved are brands that either mass market a beginner set that is poorly made or a brand that makes only limted runs of molds and most only one single run of a disc ever. That and limited run plastics and no not just a plastic reserved for runs of discs like tournament disc/fundraiser discs but a truly limited run plastic we see one time and never again, Like the Rubber Blend from Discraft or the now limited run of Nexus plastic. If not this then limited stamps for $$ that are on standard run plastic that to me might as well be the regular production run.

I feel that the current or rather 2019 production style runs get stopped 100% for the few styles I mention above that is not fair to the individual. This trend has more and more been coming since about 2017 but really was starting to gain traction in 2019, I feel in 2020 the Corona Virus has as well as new popularity from new players given brands cart blanche to go out and make limited run discs only the brands can charge $20+ for even if all it is is a DX ROC or some other baseline disc with cool stamp. :|

Based on the last few Discmania releases I feel like if they made a run of P2's in this plastic they'd have 300 and they'd be $25 each instead of 2800 at $19 each lol

Anyone actually test out the new Nexus Glow or were these all hoarded by scalpers? Hoping for the same feel as the 2019s, but I'm guessing the glow might make them a little softer.

I feel that the current or rather 2019 production style runs get stopped 100% for the few styles I mention above that is not fair to the individual. This trend has more and more been coming since about 2017 but really was starting to gain traction in 2019, I feel in 2020 the Corona Virus has as well as new popularity from new players given brands cart blanche to go out and make limited run discs only the brands can charge $20+ for even if all it is is a DX ROC or some other baseline disc with cool stamp. :|

Completely agree. It amazes me that the online stores are always full of new limited run items, but out of everything else...

I'm just glad I got squared away on some more Roaches. I was tempted to go down the Firefly rabbit hole.

Mine should hopefully arrive today. But we'll see, UPS has backed up the delivery date twice already.

Saw someone on facebook said they didn't find them to be as stable as expected. But I was unclear if that person has previous iterations of fireflys they're comparing too or just going by the flight numbers.

I've done some putting practice with the new release, unfortunately this is my first round of Firefly so the only Nexus plastic I could compare it to is the new Animal. Agreed, they are a bit more slick than the Nexus Animal. Seems to be about the same firmness/flex. I'm using them with my P2s, and comparing the two molds I feel like I just got a P2 in CG Nexus plastic. We'll see if they're any different throwing, but I'm liking them quite a bit and can't find much difference between my P2s - both in physical characteristics and putting feel/flight.

I've done some putting practice with the new release, unfortunately this is my first round of Firefly so the only Nexus plastic I could compare it to is the new Animal. Agreed, they are a bit more slick than the Nexus Animal. Seems to be about the same firmness/flex. I'm using them with my P2s, and comparing the two molds I feel like I just got a P2 in CG Nexus plastic. We'll see if they're any different throwing, but I'm liking them quite a bit and can't find much difference between my P2s - both in physical characteristics and putting feel/flight.

The 2019s almost have a concave top (but not quite), so they feel like a lower profile disc than the P2. The only P2 I've seen that had that feel are the X-lines that went OOP a while ago.

The Firefly also has a bit less fade at the end of the flight when thrown.

The 2019s almost have a concave top (but not quite), so they feel like a lower profile disc than the P2. The only P2 I've seen that had that feel are the X-lines that went OOP a while ago.

The Firefly also has a bit less fade at the end of the flight when thrown.

I appreciate the run down. Now that you mention it, the Nexus plastic on both the FF and Animal both have some XT/X-line tackiness to them. I should be able to get out tomorrow to throw them a bit.

I'd second (third?) that the plastic has a slightly different feel. However this is compared to my 2019 Firefly's which have seen a lot of putts. The 2019's have got a sort of velvety softness to them. The 2020's seem to lack that, however I did notice the flight plates of some of my "most" swirly ones seem to have a little bit of a chalky tacky feel to them. The wing/rim of all the 2020's I got seems more slick, although again maybe that's just comparing new to beat up.

I haven't got a chance to putt with them yet to compare flights, I still have 1 2019 firefly that only gets used at home for practice putts that's fairly new, I'll use that one to compare against the 2020's when I do get a chance to putt, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Overall they feel quite similar and I'd suspect people who don't burn free time on a forum discussing plastic nuances would probably say they feel exactly the same.

This was the most swirly one I received, I like that the extra little streaks of glow actually look like fireflys in the night sky
image0%2B%252812%2529.jpeg

Got some reps in last night. comparing the glow 2020 against my least used 2019. Very similar in flight, Shooting a round of PP360 alternating each shot back and forth between the 2 discs I would say no real flight difference at all aside. Holding both at the same time I noticed the difference in texture but I bet I'd be hard pressed to correctly guess which was in my hand if blind folded.

Backing up and doing some 50-75' bids there was ever so slightly more hyzer finish on the glow 2020 than the 2019. This might just be due to the wear difference between them but it seemed like I was more likely to miss left side as the 2020 hyzered out sharper, whereas the 2019 I was more likely to miss high or right as the disc panned over a bit slower. Throwing some 120-150' upshots I found the same to be true, the 2020 was just a fraction more stable and was landing 2-3' to the right of the 2019. (LHBH)

Overall I think these are a perfect replacement for the 2019's no real appreciable change in flight or feel....Now if only we could just walk into the local pro shop and buy them off the shelf year round.

I've practiced with the new 2020s and played my first round with a 2019/2020 combo. Definitely agree with klodkrawler on the extra hyzer finish on the 2020. I was using my go-to 2019 that likely has over 1,000 putts on it, so that may be the difference. No real difference on putts inside the circle.

The 2020 is a little softer in the flight plate, so I will definitely prefer the 2019 in hot summer weather. The 2020s may become my preferred putter in the cold, especially once they beat in and get a little more flexible. Disclaimer - I have a 2019 that is softer than the one I currently putt with and my other 2020 is firmer than the one I used today. So it might just come down to the individual disc.

9 months later, still no Firefly release. Would love to see them come out with the regular Nexus again so I can get backups to my 2019s.

It seems to me that:
A) Innova makes too damned many molds, and can't satisfy customer demand for enough of them, or
B) Innova doesn't support its team members with enough production, or
C) Innova makes so many putters that you don't have to be loyal to any particular one - just buy what they have in stock

And it sucks for Sexton.
Oh wait...sexybirds.