• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firefly

Innova gave Sexton a signature star XCalibur stamp and gave Wysocki the signature star Invictus stamp on the stock discs, each with an extra cost over other comparable stock discs. This may have been Innova's replacement support for not producing their second tour series putters (Firefly & Nexus BB Aviar) this year (although they were made last year and could be made in the future).

If you like the Firefly, you'll probably like the Alpaca and Omega4 which both have had a few different releases in different blends. The latest ET Omega4 run is pretty firm.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/nexus-glow-firefly-nate-sexton-tour-series/
"Nate Sexton needed a new batch of P2s, so we made him the very best version of that disc to date. The Nexus Glow Firefly is a beadless putter with a flat top that will provide an accurate, consistent flight in almost all conditions. Nexus plastic provides the stiffness Nate requested, but with an unparalleled grip. A substantial portion of each sale will benefit Nate Sexton and his touring efforts."

So.....yea, I guess these are just P2's with a different stamp/name?

I don't know anything legal stuff but since Discmania apparently owns the P2 name I wonder if there is anything sketchy about them referring to the firefly as a P2?

You might be on to something there, and I would love a Discmania v Innova lawsuit. It doesn't seem like too far of a stretch to claim damages when your intellectual property is being used to encourage someone to purchase a direct competitor's product. Then again, I thought the same of Discraft's "switch your bag" tool and nothing ever came of that.

I thought the same of Discraft's "switch your bag" tool and nothing ever came of that.

Not sure if that's a good comparison. Wasn't that some sort of "tell us what you throw from another manufacturer and we'll tell you what we have that is comparable" sort of thing?

The Innova thing was pretty much "one of our most popular pros wanted more P2's so we made him some".

Just seems like a slippery slope from my non-legal background.

Even without the P2 reference, all Innova had to say is "look, we made more fireflies" and they would have flown off the shelves.

Trademark infringement is usually about whether there is a risk of consumer confusion. Clearly the name of the disc is Firefly and it is a fact that Innova owns the P2 mold and has produced all discs under that name until only recently. Not so much a risk of consumer confusion as an odd contractual relationship. I guess they could have said well we own the mold of the disc known as P2 and we have now produced another version from that mold that we are calling the Firefly but in reality everything in Innova's statement is factually correct.

Nate sure isn't getting the Tour Series love this year - Never had a problem getting a Firebird until this year, and the Firefly, well, fuggetaboutit.

Nate sure isn't getting the Tour Series love this year - Never had a problem getting a Firebird until this year, and the Firefly, well, fuggetaboutit.

I think the exact opposite is happening. By all accounts they are producing more of these discs than ever. They just happen to be more popular than ever as well.

I think the exact opposite is happening. By all accounts they are producing more of these discs than ever. They just happen to be more popular than ever as well.

Yeah. There have been big stacks of the Firebirds in several of my local brick and mortars and they seem to come in and out of stock at a lot of the online retailers as well. If I wanted a half dozen of them I could pick them up this afternoon.

Well I check the Innova Pro shop multiple times daily and have yet to see them. Sure, I could go on ebay and get one for 35 bucks - I'd rather pay 19 or what ever they charge.

Well I check the Innova Pro shop multiple times daily and have yet to see them. Sure, I could go on ebay and get one for 35 bucks - I'd rather pay 19 or what ever they charge.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but I was able to snag some by following the pro shop on twitter and turning on notifications. They usually do their releases around 7 pm eastern, 4 pacific.

I saw a stack of the Fireflies Saturday at my closest local shop. They always seem to have a good stock of Innova on hand.

I was able to putt and throw my 2021s over the weekend. Feel and flight wise, there's not really a noticeable difference between these and the 2020s. They definitely look a lot cooler than the 2020s if you like the "galactic" look. They don't really glow much either.

I was sticking with the 2019s for a while, so really just seasoned in my first pair of 2020s recently. I'll probably end up cycling in a pair of 2021s once the current pair gets too dinged up. Happy to see some consistency in the output, although I would love to see more colors available next year, glow or not.

Got one from my local shop and one on the way from the pro shop after trying it out. The plastic feels exactly like what I wanted when I started using the Luna instead of the d-line p2. I just wanted a bit more grip especially for colder season. Doesn't feel like it will break in the winter either. Definitely a little grippy at first but once you get a little dirt on em they smooth out the release. Pricey for putters, but that's just how it is these days.

Latest posts