• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First 3 Discs

noobynoober

Par Member
I am just starting out and have decided to pick up a few discs tomorrow. I have been to the local shop and they suggested

Teebird
Z-Buzz
and a WIZARD

Does that sound like good three? What would be your suggestion for first 3 discs? I like to throw forehand but will throw backhand as well. I have played a little and borrowed players discs, but i feel hooked and want to start my own set.

Love this site by the way and have picked up lots of good info already. First Post

yea that group sounds fun but i warn you- you will want more and after you get more you will want more!

The Teebird is a great driver, but may be a bit difficult at first backhand. It is a stable driver and will take a bit of snap to get it to fly straight. Once you do though it is capable of nice long straight distance. But for forehand, probably a good choice up front.

The Wizard and Buzzz are good choices, but I would suggest a Leopard or Cheetah as your first driver for backhand, especially if you aren't as comfortable with it. Either will be easier to get distance early on, flying relatively straight. As you improve, the Leopard/Cheetah will make a nice turning driver and for tailwinds.

Work with the Wizard and Buzzz on forehand and backhand. You'll have alot of options with just those when it comes to shaping shots.

I am just starting out and have decided to pick up a few discs tomorrow. I have been to the local shop and they suggested

Teebird
Z-Buzz
and a WIZARD

Does that sound like good three? What would be your suggestion for first 3 discs? I like to throw forehand but will throw backhand as well. I have played a little and borrowed players discs, but i feel hooked and want to start my own set.

Love this site by the way and have picked up lots of good info already. First Post

BAD noob. BAAAA-AAAD noob. /me smacks the noob

you need a super understable driver (like a sidewinder or cheetah), an understable mid (shark or stingray) and a putter. wizard will work, but id recommend an aviar, to get you used to the fundamentals more.

Is a Mako similar to a Buzz? They had a similar feel to me for some reason. I want more discs already and could definitely see myself buying more discs very soon.

Solid choices, especially for FH. Wish that was my first 3 discs. Work with putting the mid and putter out there accurately, it'll fast track your learning curve for throwing drivers. I'd add an understable mid or slow driver if you can't get either your Wizard or Buzzz to finish on an anny line, like a Comet or a Leopard.

Mako is somewhat similar to a Buzzz, it's a large diameter mid and really floaty, holds lines really well. Can't go wrong adding either a Mako or a Comet to your repertoire.

Last edited:
BAD noob. a mako is a longer, faster putter, a disc thats too advanced for you.

BAD noob. a mako is a longer, faster putter, a disc thats too advanced for you.

Sorry Apoth, but I'm inclined to say that you are spouting gibberish of the highest degree.

A) You haven't seen the kid throw

B) What isn't too advanced in your opinion? Dollar store frisbees? Are purposely teaching him wrongly like some sort of DG version of Wimp Lo from Kung Pow?

if my memory serves me correctly i got the innova champion package of which i still carry my Panther. I aced in my third round ever with the Valk and retired it for that reason, and i gave my champ Aviar away

Sorry Apoth, but I'm inclined to say that you are spouting gibberish of the highest degree.

A) You haven't seen the kid throw

B) What isn't too advanced in your opinion? Dollar store frisbees? Are purposely teaching him wrongly like some sort of DG version of Wimp Lo from Kung Pow?

hee hee. :hfive:

a mako to me is like a putter/mid hybred. dood probably cant throw either. just dont want him getting confuzzeled.

what mid isnt too advanced? a shark or a esp or flx buzzz.

hee hee. :hfive:

A mako to me is like a putter/mid hybrid. dood probably can't throw either. Just don't want him getting confused.

What mid isn't too advanced? A shark or an esp or flx buzzz.

Quit hurting my brain with poor spelling, you know that is my weakness. :doh:

I'd much prefer a noob learn to throw something putter-like that can give him instant feedback on his mechanics than a one trick pony like a Buzzz that covers up OAT and only does low straight tunnel shots well, albeit spectacularly. Learning how to throw a Star Skeeter helped my game out so much more than throwing a Buzzz did, even if it's not the best understable mid in the world.

For forehand, great start.

For backhand, get a Leopard or Impact and a Comet or Shark

Learning how to throw a Star Skeeter helped my game out so much more than throwing a Buzzz did, even if it's not the best understable mid in the world.

Is that the one I got from ya?

noobynoober, You list looks good, but I'd personally go for a leopard over a Teebird for starting out & work your way up to the Teebird.:thmbup:

Is that the one I got from ya?

noobynoober, You list looks good, but I'd personally go for a leopard over a Teebird for starting out & work your way up to the Teebird.:thmbup:

No, sadly I lost my first Star Skeeter on hole 8 at Castle Hayne. It was a beautiful white with little pearly swirls of blue, gummy, 169 Star Skeeter that flew like an angel in a tailwind. :( The first disc that gave me feedback on what I was doing wrong with my throws.

The one I traded you was stiff and just didn't feel Skeeter-like to me although honestly I didn't give it a fair try out. It's probably more serviceable (read: less flippy) than gummy skeeters but the heart wants what it wants.

Leopard would be a good compliment but there's nothing wrong with having a disc that will dependably finish left, plus if you FH it a lot it'll beat in straight in no time.

Teebird
Z-Buzz
and a WIZARD

Hey... welcome to the game. I am new too (just started in January, and yes... I am completely hooked. Big fun.). My girlfriend and I both have a Buzzz in ESP and ESP FLX plastic. Great disc. The Teebird is a great first choice.... but the post earlier is right, it is going to shank hard to the left at first... really work on keeping the nose of the disc down and you will like it. As far as putters.... they are totally about feel.... once you find the one you like, stick to it. Everyone has on opinion about putters.

Teebird
Z-Buzz
and a WIZARD

Rhyno
Rock
Wraith (if you're just starting, go with a valkyrie. a little less understable)

Not too bad of a store recomendation. Those companies are known for each of your respective discs, gateway-putters,discraft-mids(formally held the putters area til gw blewup),and innova- drivers.
I throw craft so I'd recomend a few discs that are slightly less stable. I'd sub wiz with a magnet and tb with an xl.

Thanks for all the good advise. how different are Cheetahs, Leopards and Teebirds?

Never thrown Cheetahs but they're supposed to be about the same speed as Leopards but not as understable. There's quite a marked difference b/w TBs and Leos, however. Leos are the de facto "Beginner driver." They're predictably understable and don't require a lot of good form/speed to throw well enough whereas a Teebird is going to beefier (fade more) and more nose angle sensitive as it is slightly faster. Both discs are faves with pros and ams alike though. A Gazelle/Cyclone and a Leopard would be a good combo as well, an Impact is a solid hybrid b/w a mid and driver that is great for noobs too.

Latest posts