• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First ace?

Uhhhhhhhh, where'd you read about this rule ?

because the disc needs to be on the ground to be able to be thrown again. You would have to take it down then throw. which results in you having to use another stroke to get it down. may not be a considered a 'penalty' but that is the rule.

got my first ace a couple weeks back after playing for about 2 months...
i hit it at hole #1 at duncraft castle point park in VA

because the disc needs to be on the ground to be able to be thrown again. You would have to take it down then throw. which results in you having to use another stroke to get it down. may not be a considered a 'penalty' but that is the rule.

I believe you're talking about the 2 meter rule, in which case the top of the basket is NOT above that mark. You would mark the disc directly below and incur NO penalty.

tlandegent cards a "2" for that hole.

2 meters = 6.5617 feet

Last edited:
I had my first ace on 11/04/2009, 1 year after I started playing. A 271ft slightly uphill shot that hit the chains dead center, seemed to hold there and spin for a half second before dropping right in.

None so far after that, but I've had quite a few more metal hits afterward. I'm hoping to get two before the winter hits!

My ace is coming. I have been playing for about three years and no offical ace yet. In the last month, I have hit the pole, hit the chains and a few days ago hit dead center on the top of the basket. I am dailing in my accuracy and will start hitting them. I can feel it.

Still no aces for me. Half a dozen into the chains but nothing has stuck.

The funniest was a hole about 270...threw my ESP FLX buzz on a sweet S-curve around some trees. It hit dead center into the chains, fell and hit the top of the bucket, teetered a moment, fell out and then did a victory lap around the pole before it came to a stop under the basket.

Like a virgin, I have hit all around the hole but never in on the first shot. Getting closer. Just need some hair to wrap around it I think.

Got my first about a month ago after playing for 3+ years! Gentle hyzer on a wooded, left turning, 160' shorty. Thing just floated right in! It honestly took a few moments for it to set in... kinda in shock I suppose? Anywho - it was a great feeling!

175g Organic Wizard btw.

Some things are better the second time around.

My first ace came after about 3 years of playing. (I'd had several hit the pin or chains and slip out.) It came on hole one of my home course - a completely open, flat 250 foot fairway. My second ace came a few weeks later on a 160 foot, heavily wooded hole. In both cases - as well as with most of my near misses - I had just started playing that day and so was rested and relaxed with a smooth release.

The second ace was better than the first because I had realized I was throwing the wrong disc on a Tuesday and thought "If I threw a Leopard, I would ace this hole." I visualized it, came back on a Thursday, got out of my car, walked straight to hole four, pulled out the Champion rainbow leopard, held it as I had imagined, visualized the flight path into the basket, stepped onto the pad, and threw the ace. Then I got back in my car and left. It was perfect.

So... I've been way excited for the past few days because I nabbed my first "ace."
But... a buddy of mine told me it wasn't one... so, after a half hour of trying to find the rule, I come here...

I threw a thumber, 251 foot hole, at the end of the flight, it came soaring down, hit the top of the basket, bounced about 4 feet in the air, and then came to rest on top of the basket. Ace or no ace?

(Even if it isn't an ace, it goes down in the books as the coolest shot I've ever done)
you actually would get a three on that hole. You have to basically throw your disc down then throw back in for par. If discs land on top it becomes a stroke penalty.
Uhhhhhhhh, where'd you read about this rule ?

@ tlandegent: sorry, not an Ace.

@ dirtydmix: Mark the lie with a Mini (per PDGA Rule 803.03) and then hole out carding a '2'.

See also: PDGA FAQ: Disc resting on top (DROT)

What if it lands in a big tree, more than 2 meters up, but you are able to stand on the tree branch and throw?

...so if a disc is 3ft up in a tree, its under 2meters so no penalty right?

Correct.

dont you drop the disc from the tree to the ground and throw from there with no stroke?

You mark the lie directly under the disc and play from that marked lie.
803.08 Disc Above the Playing Surface

What if it lands in a big tree, more than 2 meters up, but you are able to stand on the tree branch and throw?

The 2M penalty rule is now optional at the discretion of the Tournament Director.

Thanks everyone for helping with talking about the 2 meter rule and my first "ace."

Admit it though, all of you are jealous of my sweet shot that bounced off the top of the basket and then landed back on the top of the basket. Comon, admit it.

If new viewers don't know what I'm talking about, look at p. 18 for my question on my "ace."

Thanks CaptainAnhyzer and all...

Hit my first ace today at Johnny Roberts Memorial in Arvada, CO. Hole 10. 174'. Got it with the first disc I ever threw. A 25cent 175g whamo putter I bought at a garage sale. I've been playing about a month but I play 2-3 times a week. The closest group to me was two holes away so no one else saw it. It was sweet. Got to watch it slightly anhyzer right in.

Latest posts