• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

1. Hard to tell, but looks like your disc is pivoting out instead of maintaining leverage on the handle all the way around.
2. You have no rear foot eversion with heel leading toes targetward.
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 6.10.33 PM.png

1. Hard to tell, but looks like your disc is pivoting out instead of maintaining leverage on the handle all the way around.
2. You have no rear foot eversion with heel leading toes targetward.
View attachment 322722

1. Not intentional - there is more momentum coming into the swing again with each change so I keep needing to adjust a bit to hang on/hammer out

2. Tried the push-n-drag. I had to work in the vertical again to start to find it at all. Let's see...

Last edited:
Attempted to start working into throws. I was nudging bits of posture around to see if anything helped. Maybe a little less spinny but not all the way there.

Your mass isn't really leading/pulling your backswing.
View attachment 322846
Worked on this a bit. I think I got more CoG leading the heave back but at the expense of some rear foot eversion/braced tilt moving forward. But I think you are still loading onto the rear leg with better posture than me in backswing so that your rear shoulder gets leveraged more inside the rear knee (rear view - need to keep the pressure on) - maybe DD or BR and try again.

Last edited:
Your mass isn't really leading/pulling your backswing.
View attachment 322846
I went back to DD and BR because I think I need to get this much closer to perfect to get off the rear foot correctly like push n drag.

I changed how I swung my CoG back (DD), and adjusted my rear side posture trying to get the rear shoulder leveraged inside the swing (BR). I put a little bit of focus into push and drag - it's a bit shaky for now.

Not sure what you talking about with the left shoulder. You want the arm/disc to drag more behind your mass going into backswing, like almost pulling out the shoulder socket in reverse door frame drill from the hit/water ski.

Your front hip is collapsed and you lean/turn over top. Note how your head is over to the west/outside. Note how I'm more relaxed and centered/stacked and could support a bunch of weight on my shoulders. If we were water skiing, you would fall over face first.
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 3.59.15 PM.pngone arm waterski.jpg

Not sure what you talking about with the left shoulder. You want the arm/disc to drag more behind your mass going into backswing, like almost pulling out the shoulder socket in reverse door frame drill from the hit/water ski.

Your front hip is collapsed and you lean/turn over top. Note how your head is over to the west/outside. Note how I'm more relaxed and centered/stacked and could support a bunch of weight on my shoulders. If we were water skiing, you would fall over face first.
View attachment 322895View attachment 322898

I spent a long time just trying to not lean West.

I am finding it almost impossible to match where you and the water skiier are in the backswing at that moment. I understand what you are saying and I can get the feel of the CoG pulling the disc back out of the forward pump, but my sequence doesn't look quite like yours and I can't figure out how to do it while it still feeling like a pendulum/still trapping the disc throughout the move. Could change strategies to attack that somehow. Still related to other problems with the shift.

Your CoM is chasing the arm/disc all the to the top of the backswing, instead of changing direction as the backswing passes center. I'm shifting back much earlier in the backswing so I can start to redirect/transition earlier and oppose/leverage against the backswing harder like Olympic Hammer Throw/Sledgehammer.

bryc me backswing transition copy.png

That is gold SW! It's something I've spend massive time to figure out - not sure I would call it "transition" (lack of vocabulary from my side), but when I get it right, everything just seems to be more smooth. Thanks for the visual!

Your CoM is chasing the arm/disc all the to the top of the backswing, instead of changing direction as the backswing passes center. I'm shifting back much earlier in the backswing so I can start to redirect/transition earlier and oppose/leverage against the backswing harder like Olympic Hammer Throw/Sledgehammer.

View attachment 322932
Oh, so if I follow:

So as the disc moves forward toward the top of the pump, I should feel much more of a "pull" earlier between my disc and CoM because CoM should already have started heading back - that's the water skiier analogy. I have done that before with weights or hammer but am not doing it there. The heave back becomes easier to make much more significant so you can shift and deliver more force. I'll focus there.

I'll attempt and re-check, thanks!!!

Last edited:

View attachment 322932
Well, just tinkering with this on the course got my whole swing performing better: 72% C1 hits and the rest just outside. More snap and more accuracy right away. Felt more control and rhythm the entire round.

I worked hard to adjust the sequence in small CoG shifts today (e.g. 1st throw here), then I tried to get my CoG moving over a bigger range of motion (e.g., 2nd throw here - this is still hard for me). Rear of tee is still me trying to fix my posture.

Still have a bit too much spin-shift in there. I think the next problem to fix is my rear hip slipping out of leverage when I commit the backswing, but lmk.

Getting sore so at least a couple days off for me. You're the man.

Last edited:
Worked on swing drills while resting. A little more leverage maintained in the rear hip but I'm letting a little pressure leak spoiling some of the tilt.

Looks like I could now go back to (1) "abandoning" backswing more again inside posture paired with (2) a bit more "push n drag" directly toward the target/into the braced tilt when I shift forward, yeah?

I think you need to introduce some royal coil(locomotion/double dragon/backstroke swim) into your left/rear side in backswing/transition. Elbow into back pocket.

I think you need to introduce some royal coil(locomotion/double dragon/backstroke swim) into your left/rear side in backswing/transition. Elbow into back pocket.

Yeah that feels way easier on the swing relative to backswing side basically from the ground up. I'll get to work.

Figured I'd enjoy a new relevant workout challenge overall. This 30 min Weck cycle contains all the good stuff and kicked my ass. Plenty of room to grow!

I have more mobility on the backswing side & plan to continue working on ~75% body workouts and 25% form one piece at a time for a while.

While I'm enjoying more range of motion, I think there's still a bit of body confusion in the backswing somewhere. Like I have more options to move, but my body still doesn't know which is best.

Sidewinder, your recent Whip Step comes to mind, but you know what they say about assuming.

Couple standstills. Rear of tee at the end.

XStep with pump:

Last edited:
I have more mobility on the backswing side & plan to continue working on ~75% body workouts and 25% form one piece at a time for a while.

While I'm enjoying more range of motion, I think there's still a bit of body confusion in the backswing somewhere. Like I have more options to move, but my body still doesn't know which is best.

Sidewinder, your recent Whip Step comes to mind, but you know what they say about assuming.

Couple standstills. Rear of tee at the end.

XStep with pump:

That center of mass drop into the loaded front side looks nice on the x-step, especially with how you do a good job of maintaining swing plane as you drop COM.

Just curious, how's the grip level on that basement floor? I worry a little about if the practice is done on a slick floor into a net (with no velocity or distance feedback) the body may start to ingrain certain governors or limiters into the movement pattern.

Edit:
I wanted to add that I don't think it's the worst thing to not have a velocity or distance feedback/constraint because throwing into the net can free up the mind and body to make form changes without pressure of results, just was curious about the footing primarily.

That center of mass drop into the loaded front side looks nice on the x-step, especially with how you do a good job of maintaining swing plane as you drop COM.

Just curious, how's the grip level on that basement floor? I worry a little about if the practice is done on a slick floor into a net (with no velocity or distance feedback) the body may start to ingrain certain governors or limiters into the movement pattern.

Edit:
I wanted to add that I don't think it's the worst thing to not have a velocity or distance feedback/constraint because throwing into the net can free up the mind and body to make form changes without pressure of results, just was curious about the footing primarily.
Thanks man - lots of one leg and door frame drills probably helped that first part. I do note that heading into the backswing, I'm somewhat shrinking rather than standing tall or rising "walking it back," which needs some help I think.

I agree about the basement in general and am avoiding putting too much weight on it right now. I'm waiting until I can shed a couple layers to throw more outside. Working on the old bod is keeping me plenty challenged otherwise.

On footing inside, I use retired walking shoes with gripper and thicker and wider soles than usual inside which seems to keep me from sliding across the cement floor when I add momentum. Honestly I still haven't found footwear I really love for throwing outside. I was considering moving back to an athletic sneaker with good lateral stability. Always open to options there.

Thanks man - lots of one leg and door frame drills probably helped that first part. I do note that heading into the backswing, I'm somewhat shrinking rather than standing tall or rising "walking it back," which needs some help I think.

I agree about the basement in general and am avoiding putting too much weight on it right now. I'm waiting until I can shed a couple layers to throw more outside. Working on the old bod is keeping me plenty challenged otherwise.

On footing inside, I use retired walking shoes with gripper and thicker and wider soles than usual inside which seems to keep me from sliding across the cement floor when I add momentum. Honestly I still haven't found footwear I really love for throwing outside. I was considering moving back to an athletic sneaker with good lateral stability. Always open to options there.
That makes sense, and I have to be empathetic about how the weather is in most of the US right now, and indoors may be the only practice modality available.

The grippy shoes thing gets me wondering if there's any possible rug configuration that could get things similar to grass - I suppose the risk could be the whole rug sliding under the lateral bracing forces so it would need to be anchored from the rear side.

I know a lot of top pros have gone to the minimalist/barefoot style shoes with zero heel drop and wide toe boxes. I switched over to that style for running a couple of years ago and it's helped me a lot there, then I finally got one for disc golf a couple of months ago which was a game-changer for me (https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/mens-shoes-trail/mens-lp-alpine-al0a546y?variationId=224), I'm sure there are better options but I made sure to get one with a lower stack height to minimize foot/ankle rolling moment (while still having a bit of peba foam for cushion/energy return) and a really solid upper (thick canvas). I should mention that the trail style lower (harder compound studs) would be poor grip on smooth concrete.

If going that route, it's always nice to gradually titrate up on the usage of those shoes to make sure the achilles and soleus have time to adapt to the increased dorsiflexion.

You are shifting and rotating too late back and forth(really easy to see in x-step). Your front heel should replant more targetward when it goes airborne. Your heel is replanting in same exact place. Firm up your rear leg/knee in backswing from the start and start dropping forward with knee extended and rotating back earlier with the forward stride. You have this little down and up jump motion in the backswing so you move up and back instead of forward and down. Rotate more horizontally(which should help you rotate earlier), you go too vertical which puts some kind of hitch in your giddy up.
Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 5.15.16 AM.png

Latest posts