• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form review

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Grab closer to your navel (swing thru center)
One question: with this cue, are you talking about navel high when standing next to the doorframe (measured it out and grabbed about there in the video) or navel high when dropping into the door frame? Im guessing it's the second as you keep nudging me to grab lower.

Hand height looked fine to me, standing upright somewhere between navel to sternum.

I think you went the opposite direction on side bend one and rear foot too far south. Relax/drop into the drill/transition so your left side bends a little and right shoulder will go slightly higher than left. Make sure your head doesn't move toward your toes/west teeside. You should drop slightly east toward heels, so your head stays upright.

Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 5.37.38 AM.png

The second vid looked much better especially around 20sec. Make sure your rear knee is not locked straight, should have slight bend still.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

One question: with this cue, are you talking about navel high when standing next to the doorframe (measured it out and grabbed about there in the video) or navel high when dropping into the door frame? Im guessing it's the second as you keep nudging me to grab lower.

I'd refer to his cue for the other big pieces for now. I still tend to find messing with the hand a bit in the sternum/navel range after that useful, but he's right to guide you there. You also have longer levers so you theoretically might have a larger range of highly effective arm slots overall. Need to get the whole rest of posture into place to maximize dem levers.

Hand height looked fine to me, standing upright somewhere between navel to sternum.

I think you went the opposite direction on side bend one and rear foot too far south. Relax/drop into the drill/transition so your left side bends a little and right shoulder will go slightly higher than left. Make sure your head doesn't move toward your toes/west teeside. You should drop slightly east toward heels, so your head stays upright.

View attachment 339007

The second vid looked much better especially around 20sec. Make sure your rear knee is not locked straight, should have slight bend still.
Thanks for the pointers. The yellow line in the pic makes it really clear how much further your rear foot is away from the door frame. For you its past the elbow and for me it is slightly in front of it.

I think I'm inclined to almost lock it because it gives me a bit more movement. There is one muscle in the back of my thigh of the left leg that gets stretched really well in this drill that also seems to be really tight which makes moving the left leg further away from the doorframe difficult. Hard to say which one though, I just looked through pictures of thigh muscles and there is just way too many of them :D I will see how much more I can manage in my stance and report back with some more video. I'm also gonna take up some more stretching to be able to move a bit more freely.

I'd refer to his cue for the other big pieces for now. I still tend to find messing with the hand a bit in the sternum/navel range after that useful, but he's right to guide you there. You also have longer levers so you theoretically might have a larger range of highly effective arm slots overall. Need to get the whole rest of posture into place to maximize dem levers.
Im gonna try both - with the hand a bit lower and as high as I got it for now. Wont hurt to try both versions and see what difference it makes. Thanks!

Thanks for the pointers. The yellow line in the pic makes it really clear how much further your rear foot is away from the door frame. For you its past the elbow and for me it is slightly in front of it.

I think I'm inclined to almost lock it because it gives me a bit more movement. There is one muscle in the back of my thigh of the left leg that gets stretched really well in this drill that also seems to be really tight which makes moving the left leg further away from the doorframe difficult. Hard to say which one though, I just looked through pictures of thigh muscles and there is just way too many of them :D I will see how much more I can manage in my stance and report back with some more video. I'm also gonna take up some more stretching to be able to move a bit more freely.

Im gonna try both - with the hand a bit lower and as high as I got it for now. Wont hurt to try both versions and see what difference it makes. Thanks!
Just on the rear leg - I think I used to have the locking/near locking effect and it started to go away when I fixed the side bend!

I put some more time into the door frame drill, thank you both for keeping me on this drill. Im still learning new moves through it.

you should drop slightly east toward heels, so your head stays upright.

This cue coupled with the hint of more sidebend by Brychanus helped me to get the movement of the left leg. Dropping my head towards my heel changes the ground pressure slightly towards more pressure of the heel of the plant leg and it lets me bend my left leg more, taking my hip a bit further away from the doorframe. I generally much more freedom of movement in the drill this way and it is also easier to get a bit lower. I included both views here because the frontal view helped me to see how my hips move in relation to the doorframe.

Doing the drill likes this also changed how it feels to let go of the doorframe. Previously when letting go the momentum would take me upwards in the follow-through. When letting go now much more of the momentum goes into my arm. It feels heavy and much more like a punch.

This video now makes much more sense to me. When throwing I can also feel the tip of the whip much better. Recently I had a practice day where everything in my form just fell into place and I could pretty much focus on the hand and where I want to whip it to control my shots.

Think you can still:

Grab closer to your navel (swing thru center)

I tried grabbing it a little lower here and see how much I could push it. With the different rear hip movement I described above I have more freedom of movement to go lower. To me it feels like I can actually get more leverage in this lower position and when letting go the arm hammers out with more force. However Im not sure I could replicate that in an actual throw. Pushing this drill however helps to get more comfortable with more extreme moves so I think this was a good exercise. Im also breaking the wall with my knee on this position a bit :D

What do you notice in my drill? Am I good for a form check or would you prefer me sticking this out a bit longer?

I think you have opposite side bend.

When you reach back to grab the frame do it more like the golfer does in his drill video. Exaggerate it so you're more like eagle at first while staying "inside" your posture. I tend to stand much taller than this now because it causes me to rotate faster more easily, but I had to learn it with the big exaggeration at first and repeat it for a couple weeks.

I think your legs tend to move in the opposite direction of Eagle's in part due to lack of side bend. You might also want your rear foot toes more aligned with front foot heel again to feel the coil into the rear hip.* So do golfer guy drill like that. Super fussy to find at first.

1716208796779.png
Also maybe kind of a weird comment - but you have really long feet. My guess is you might end up moving more like Eagle to maximize your levers even if you're not as freakishly flexible as him.

Attachments

• 1716208105185.png
    1716208105185.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Ha, I've found a new way to do this stuff wrong 😅

Thank you for the pictures, those definitely help.

In the pictures I notice that Eagles and the golfers rear hip is above their front hip. I have trouble reconciling this with the cue sidewinder gave me earlier. Ever since that one I tried to let the rear hip drop in the drill when the door frame pulls me taut while I bounce off of my plant leg. Can you help me reconcile those two?
Note how my front hip is being pulled up as I drop the rear hip down underneath me and shift/leverage the pelvis forward so it's pulling the frontside back taut and spine hangs relaxed/flexed/bowed from door frame.

You might also want your rear foot toes more aligned with front foot heel again to feel the coil into the rear hip.* So do golfer guy drill like that. Super fussy to find at first.
I could feel the coil into my rear hip already and also played some with consciously using that coil into my rear hip when throwing. Im gonna try and see how that feels differently with a different rear hip position.

About the feet: good catch, I have size 11 which is about the largest size stores still carry. Moving like Eagle sounds like music to my ears although my inflexibility is one of my biggest problems right now. Im gonna keep your suggestion here in mind.

Ha, I've found a new way to do this stuff wrong 😅
You are doing the drill correctly. You should come out of right side bend and go into left side bend transitioning forward. The right side gets stretched out in the drill while the left side compresses. The only weird thing you do, is your left arm/elbow are going upward when you let go and swing instead of dropping forward.

In the pictures I notice that Eagles and the golfers rear hip is above their front hip. I have trouble reconciling this with the cue sidewinder gave me earlier. Ever since that one I tried to let the rear hip drop in the drill when the door frame pulls me taut while I bounce off of my plant leg. Can you help me reconcile those two?
The door frame will pull the front hip up as you drop the left hip forward.
About the feet: good catch, I have size 11 which is about the largest size stores still carry.
I also wear size 11 shoes and I'm 5'7".

You are doing the drill correctly. You should come out of right side bend and go into left side bend transitioning forward. The right side gets stretched out in the drill while the left side compresses. The only weird thing you do, is your left arm/elbow are going upward when you let go and swing instead of dropping forward.

Now that you point it out that does look weird. I seem to pull my left arm up a little before swinging and ending upward. Nice observation, thanks!

Guess huge feet really help with swimming as there is a larger surface that can push against the water. I also got huge hands and have only met a handful of people with larger ones even though I used to play basketball.

Thanks for the correction. I see it in the sequence now whereas my point would have applied earlier in the sequence, I think. Sorry @HyzerRoc.

I was not quite sure how to address what looks uncomfortable in his posture to me; I'm curious if he changes the arm and elbow now.

Latest posts