• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First hole length

Is a long first hole ok?

• Yes

Votes: 91 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 20.2%

• Total voters
All right, i have decided that a long first hole is ok, let me throw another question in there.

My long tee location is set in stone. The field is about 500' across and then a 100' walk to the next tee down a paved path. Field has very few features so short holes will be super easy. Which of the following would you prefer?

1. A single ~300' hole and a long walk to the next tee

2. Single ~450' hole and a ~150' shorter walk

3. Two ~250' holes and a shorter walk.

A longer walk to the first tee then 285-300 ft hole, maybe along the perimeter of the field if that might add more foliage on one side.

Is it just an open field or are there any good trees or locations for a green? I'd think those elements would be more important to design around than the walk to the next tee. That being said, shorter walks are nicer. But I can get over a walk for more interesting holes.

Is it just an open field or are there any good trees or locations for a green? I'd think those elements would be more important to design around than the walk to the next tee. That being said, shorter walks are nicer. But I can get over a walk for more interesting holes.

Assume equal interest level and only length is a factor

All right, i have decided that a long first hole is ok, let me throw another question in there.

My long tee location is set in stone. The field is about 500' across and then a 100' walk to the next tee down a paved path. Field has very few features so short holes will be super easy. Which of the following would you prefer?

2. Single ~450' hole and a ~150' shorter walk

Oh I dunno about this one. That's sounds a lot like a 'tweener hole for blue players.

If it's wide open, probably just want the one longer hole. Would be a little redundant to have back to back wide open 250' holes to start the round.

I would say overall course par is what makes me lean one way or another. A long starter hole on a par 54 course, no matter how open, is less than desirable for me.

In either case, I think the first hole should be easy enough that getting par should be easier, but it shouldn't be open for an ace run.

I could care less if the first hole is long or short, I would rather it be fair and not overly difficult to start. The two courses that I can think of that have extremely difficult holes to start on are Inverness long tee Hoover, AL and The Sarge long tee Hardeeville, SC. Advanced players can easily double bogey both holes to start if everything does not go as planned.

Hell yes long first holes are okay. So are short last ones to get you back to the parking lot.

zZSnVAgl.jpg

Hole 1, long tee, at one of my local courses, Independence Lake. I'm a relative newbie but I find this to be the most intimidating first hole of any course I've played: 500' through a very narrow corridor with a couple of back-and-forth doglegs. Better make sure you've warmed up first.

First hole can be any length. It's largely dependent on overall course layout, especially relevant to where you want your start/finish point to be. The first hole can quite often be a precursor to the course's overall character. If we were ever able to permanently install Rock Creek, it would probably begin with a 950'+ Par 5.

I can only speak for our easement, and some of it is gray area. It mostly comes down to their being able to service the powerlines.

We can't grade the ground where they can't get vehicles in, though our grading, if anything, makes it easier for them. We can put up a fence, as long as they have access through it. We can pave a driveway, so I imagine we could make concrete tees. We can't build a pond, or a building. They've never said anything about our railroad-tie-island-green.

Courses that come to mind, using right of ways, include Renaissance, Patriots Park (Augusta, GA), Pipeline and Grand Central Station (Upstate S.C.). All have concrete tees, fixed signs, permanent baskets, and in some cases, bridges, in the right-of-way.

Coyote Trace (RIP) used the powerline areas for a few holes.

You'll be able to add Hidden Ridge to the list of courses that utilize power line easements. 2 or 3 holes at least.

Is having a super long first hole a bad thing?

I always hate starting on a long hole on a shotgun start because I am not warmed up for the big throw yet. On the other hand if the first hole is very long it will stagger out the groups playing the course from the very start.

What say you?

That's interesting, I'm the opposite. I always hate getting the easy holes first because when I'm not quite into the groove, I'm less likely to get the birdie on the "deuce or die", sub 300ft holes. I prefer the hard holes where par is more acceptable, which is typically long holes, and save the must-birdies to the end.

Not being warmed up usually only cost me 25 ft, 50 at the absolute maximum. Very rarely does that tiny bit matter.

NE Park in Jacksonville used to have one hole that used a power line easement. It was over 1000' long and played towards the sound/river. It was really bizarre since the rest of the course were short holes around pine trees. It's been redesigned so I don't think it's like that anymore though.

I have seen courses with both long and short holes on hole 1. I prefer hole 1 to be longer only to get that first throw out that I don't have to worry about throwing too far. A chance to just let it fly.

Our preferences vary. That's why tee-times are done - so the hole order is the same. To have more holes per day, you get what you get with shot-gun. My Division MS1 will often get #1 or #18 because...well..were slow.;-)

Maybe it's strange, but I don't mind a kick in the pants to start off a round. If I play in a tourney, I'd prefer to start on a longer hole. The course that immediately came to mind for me is Deis Hill Park in Dover, Ohio. It's a great course with three sets of tee pads. When you first drive up to the parking lot, you get a small taste of what you're in for. It looks like Deis Hill's hole #1 is over 400' from the red tees, over 800' from the whites, and nearly 1000' from the blues!

I answered yes, but i guess i didn't read correctly (or the question not worded very good)... the problem is the OP contradicts the poll question with his post "Is having a super long first hole a bad thing? "

I'm saying yes you can have a long first hole, it doesn't matter imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts