• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First time form check

Here's a crush the can drill from earlier today. I noticed when I swing through as if I'm throwing I tend to lean back. I think my torso needs to stay a little more vertical, right?

Looks like you are using hip rotation to force your heel down, as opposed to shifting from behind wtih the hips still closed. Hips don't open until after the front heel is on the ground and all the weight is forward.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 5.19.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 5.19.17 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
You are also spinning around a vertical axis (relative to the ground) rather than a tilted axis.

Your center should be drifting toward the target as you coil back rather than staying trapped completely between your feet. The balance is ideally tilted more like a skiier.

1707488222320.png

1707488094614.png
Seabas turbo encabulator or double dragon exaggerate it.

My focus for this drill today was feeling like I was falling into the can crush. Like Brychanus mentioned, drifting toward the target in the reach back, and like biglefty mentioned, getting the heel down before rotating. My arm feels like it's being pulled through from my rotation rather than pulling from the arm. Do those things look better?

https://youtu.be/tnFUIlXxQTQ

Looks slightly better.

1. Your practice area/footwear/floor is not good. I'd be scared to bang my leg on that bench and slip wearing socks on wood.
2. You are only shifting your hips, instead of your whole center/body. Note how my whole frontside is stacked up while yours is crumpled.
Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 6.17.01 PM.png

Yeah, our house is pretty tiny, I'll try to find a better space or at the very least put on shoes. Now that I can feel the plant/shift a little more solidly, I'll focus on the upper body and centering my body.

1st couple looked better than the last couple. Shift without swinging forward. Stop at the top of backswing like SC in Best Downswing Weightshift vid.

1. Swing is feeling better and I'm getting more consistent while thinking less. Weight shifting is making more sense, a revisit to the golf swing helped me at least conceptually.

2. In other news, I went to the field for a while yesterday to try and develop my lefty throw while my right elbow takes a break. I've been applying all the same things and it's going better than expected. I'm sure it looks really awkward because it feels really awkward still, but it's fun to get a little hyzerflip out of my putters and mids already.

3. Is it bad to work on forehand while my elbow rests? I'm only asking since it's a different motion. I haven't thrown any in a while, but I figured I'd see if I can work on that part of my game too.

Last edited:
1. Swing your arm back a little more freely/make it feel heavier in the backswing. You want to feel like your whole body is heaving it back like a weight.
2. Building on SW's last point, try a little baby step toward the target. You'll want to drill that little Clement shift and baby step quite a few (1000s) of times if you build up from standstills.

Big fan of doing moves both ways. I don't throw often lefty but all the mirror image drill work I have done has probably been good for me overall.

Deferring on the forehand motion. Minimally would say if you feel anything odd or painful, probably best to be patient.

1. Swing your arm back a little more freely/make it feel heavier in the backswing. You want to feel like your whole body is heaving it back like a weight.
2. Building on SW's last point, try a little baby step toward the target. You'll want to drill that little Clement shift and baby step quite a few (1000s) of times if you build up from standstills.

Big fan of doing moves both ways. I don't throw often lefty but all the mirror image drill work I have done has probably been good for me overall.

Deferring on the forehand motion. Minimally would say if you feel anything odd or painful, probably best to be patient.
1 and 2. Got it, I'll work on integrating the swing and step more as I get closer to an "actual" throw. I didn't realize the little step was a literal suggestion but more of a different way of thinking about the shifting weight. I will certainly work that into the routine. This would be to start introducing the plant step in a run up, right?

I'll definitely hold off on forehand then. With the weather becoming slightly more manageable and the season starting up around the corner, I'm itching to get out and throw in any capacity, but I think ultimately keeping it to throwing lefty for now is a good idea.

I was able to get out for a round recently and threw everything but putts lefty. Accuracy is still getting there, but I was getting the Buzzz and Comets out to 240-260'ish, which all things considered I'm happy with. Other than a sore shoulder and chest (definitely not bad pain, just using muscles I've never used before), things are going pretty well.

It's probably a case by case situation, but when could I try throwing rhbh again? I'm not planning on it soon, but I am excited to start implementing some of the form and timing changes to my dominant hand.

Checking in after a few months of practicing. I've been taking videos of my lefty form and practicing as much as my schedule allows and I'm excited to be making good progress. I got out today at a local course where the longest hole is about 340. I was able to get out to about 300-320' consistently with my Leopard3, Roadrunner, and even the Tremor.

Tremor, 168g Omega SS, and the Comet have been all-stars for me as I'm developing my lefty form. My release angles are consistently slightly hyzer to flat, but I'm able to hit my lines and not feel like I'm throwing with 100% power pretty consistently.

Thanks all for the feedback and help with my form. Still practicing the rhbh form, but throwing lefty has been an exciting change up to the game for me. Who knows, I might just not go back to RHBH...lol

Latest posts