• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First video made!!!

mmyersdisc

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys, just made this video today with my older crappy digi camera. Just me and my buddies having some fun...Kinda wanted to make it to see if anyone else can see what they are doing wrong/what im doing wrong...im stuck at about 300'-350' on MOST drives..others my stuck at about 250' or so...chris (the white hoodie) sucks ass at his RHBH hes mostly a RHFH driver but hes practicing backhand...I got him going ALOT better at it, in fact he almost aced a hole! Joe (the black vest) he has potential I think but I just don't know what hes doing wrong...plus hes not hardcore into disc golf...but anyways, any pointers you guys see let me know other then that!! ENJOY!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFG0k2Lnqg
(music may have been removed--replaced with new music from youtube)

dang it!!! they deleted my music! anyone know anywhere else to upload videos that won't delete my music?

Last edited:
First guy throwing isnt getting weight forward and the follow thru isnt powerful enough. Its almost like they are wanting to lean back as they throw.

Second guy is having same issue with not getting weight forward. They are also not letting his shoulders pull his arm thru, instead he is trying to strong arm it.

THird guy has all the issues of the second one, but add that his x-step he steps in front instead of behind his right leg. The whole purpose of the x-step is to turn your hip by stepping behind your right leg (RHBH) he steps infront taking away most of the benefit of his runup.

First guy throwing isnt getting weight forward and the follow thru isnt powerful enough. Its almost like they are wanting to lean back as they throw.

Second guy is having same issue with not getting weight forward. They are also not letting his shoulders pull his arm thru, instead he is trying to strong arm it.

THird guy has all the issues of the second one, but add that his x-step he steps in front instead of behind his right leg. The whole purpose of the x-step is to turn your hip by stepping behind your right leg (RHBH) he steps infront taking away most of the benefit of his runup.

oh shit hah! i never noticed that before about his x-step...the first guy is me! yeah I have been trying to figure out how to "follow through" with shifting my weight forward...any suggestions on how to achieve this? I used to basically just stop after planting my foot and can't figure out how to get past that..thought I did but guess not!

I am by no means a master (very new to the game) - however (you are the first thrower right?) - if so I see the following.

1 - Throw 1/2 you are not following through (stepping through with your left foot) - throw 3/4/5/6 you appear to be sliding. The easiest way to describe it is to say you appear to be dragging your left foot. Sorta like a tennis player making a volley at the net.

2 - Your follow through seems 'soft' You don't really look like your pulling through the full motion (the best way I can describe it is by looking at how early your arm starts to venture up at the end of the motion and how quickly you are stopping the motion) Another way to describe it, it looks like you may be slowing up and pulling up in order to avoid a tree/object...does that make sense?

3 - Your turn during the 'x' step. You do not really appear to be getting as much torque as you 'could' from your x-step. This will vary depending upon your preferences (if you like to keep your eyes forward, etc).

BTW - great vid - I need to take some of me but I'm lazy.

I am by no means a master (very new to the game) - however (you are the first thrower right?) - if so I see the following.

1 - Throw 1/2 you are not following through (stepping through with your left foot) - throw 3/4/5/6 you appear to be sliding. The easiest way to describe it is to say you appear to be dragging your left foot. Sorta like a tennis player making a volley at the net.

2 - Your follow through seems 'soft' You don't really look like your pulling through the full motion (the best way I can describe it is by looking at how early your arm starts to venture up at the end of the motion and how quickly you are stopping the motion) Another way to describe it, it looks like you may be slowing up and pulling up in order to avoid a tree/object...does that make sense?

3 - Your turn during the 'x' step. You do not really appear to be getting as much torque as you 'could' from your x-step. This will vary depending upon your preferences (if you like to keep your eyes forward, etc).

BTW - great vid - I need to take some of me but I'm lazy.

yeah I was messing around with my follow thru after the first and second throw...and then it didn't feel right with me just "moving forward" im not grasping the concept of following through...I bowl so I should know how to follow through haha but I can't! what do you mean by my x step? like twist more? I normally like seeing my target and the hyzer im putting on it is becuase i have a tree off to my right plus I was trying to avoid throwing it over my back fence..I need to go out to an open field and take some footage..all in all I enjoyed making the video...im gonna start taping our outages more I think haha

None of you is getting much shoulder rotation. If you compare your reach-backs to those of the pros (I know it's hard to live up to their standards), you'll see how they get their upper backs and hips turned towards the targets, and pull through with the whole body. Y'all's pulls are mostly, if not entirely, arm strength. The very last throw on the video, by the guy in the black vest, shows the best shoulder rotation, in my opinion.

It also looks like everybody's weight is back on their heels, rather than forward on the balls of your feet. I've always heard, in any sport I've participated in, that it's best to keep your weight on the balls of your feet. This improves balance and makes footwork easier.

None of you is getting much shoulder rotation. If you compare your reach-backs to those of the pros (I know it's hard to live up to their standards), you'll see how they get their upper backs and hips turned towards the targets, and pull through with the whole body. Y'all's pulls are mostly, if not entirely, arm strength. The very last throw on the video, by the guy in the black vest, shows the best shoulder rotation, in my opinion.

so basically just pull back more and "twist" our upper bodies more? never thought of pulling back more was trying to focus on accuracy too and I guess I felt like if I took my shoulders off from being straight i wouldn't be able to hold it at a flat angle

To answer the questions

1 - About the follow-through.
The easiest example, it looks like you are throwing the remote control across the living room to your g/f. I know this is way over-simplifying it, but hear me out. you don't want to throw the object hard, so you slow your arm down at the end of the motion, second you are not trying to throw a 'bullet' at your g/f so you softly rotate your arm up so that the remote can gently 'hyzer' down to her and not go directly to her on a rope.

The easiest way I can suggest seeing an immediate difference in that, Pick a target that is eye level but approximately 200/250ft away from you - Try to throw a perfect bullseye at that shot, with no worry about going past the target. Try to put your shot on a direct rope to the target. I think you will find that your arm pulls through harder because of this, you will also see that instead of your arm coming up at the end of the shot, it will stay on a horizontal line with the first portion of your form.

2 - About your x'step. I'm assuming you are working on maximum distance here, if that's the case - you know you will be throwing roughly on a straight line no matter what, so my advice, don't worry about turning your head away from the target. Infact, focus on looking behind you or at least off at a 120 degree angle. This will let your hips turn naturally (let your head follow your hips). This should not be to much of a change for you.

From personal experience, I was not turning my head and I had a hard time getting past a certain sticking point. I realized I was not getting enough torque. I changed my throw, now instead of lining up facing my target, I line up perpendicular to it, when I begin my x'step the first thing I do is look 180degrees away from the line that I want to throw on (meaning I look directly behind my target line). This lets me pull my hips a long way around. The trick with this is to NOT pull up at the last second. You have to almost lean through your throw. To the point that your momentum will bring that left foot off the ground and almost make you spin like a top on that right leg.

I think if you can get item 1 down, then item 2 will feel better for you.

To answer the questions

1 - About the follow-through.
The easiest example, it looks like you are throwing the remote control across the living room to your g/f. I know this is way over-simplifying it, but hear me out. you don't want to throw the object hard, so you slow your arm down at the end of the motion, second you are not trying to throw a 'bullet' at your g/f so you softly rotate your arm up so that the remote can gently 'hyzer' down to her and not go directly to her on a rope.

The easiest way I can suggest seeing an immediate difference in that, Pick a target that is eye level but approximately 200/250ft away from you - Try to throw a perfect bullseye at that shot, with no worry about going past the target. Try to put your shot on a direct rope to the target. I think you will find that your arm pulls through harder because of this, you will also see that instead of your arm coming up at the end of the shot, it will stay on a horizontal line with the first portion of your form.

2 - About your x'step. I'm assuming you are working on maximum distance here, if that's the case - you know you will be throwing roughly on a straight line no matter what, so my advice, don't worry about turning your head away from the target. Infact, focus on looking behind you or at least off at a 120 degree angle. This will let your hips turn naturally (let your head follow your hips). This should not be to much of a change for you.

From personal experience, I was not turning my head and I had a hard time getting past a certain sticking point. I realized I was not getting enough torque. I changed my throw, now instead of lining up facing my target, I line up perpendicular to it, when I begin my x'step the first thing I do is look 180degrees away from the line that I want to throw on (meaning I look directly behind my target line). This lets me pull my hips a long way around. The trick with this is to NOT pull up at the last second. You have to almost lean through your throw. To the point that your momentum will bring that left foot off the ground and almost make you spin like a top on that right leg.

I think if you can get item 1 down, then item 2 will feel better for you.

so lets see if I can understand this..basically I should be throwing straight across my chest? I guess im not understanding how I keep my arm speed up...It feels like im keeping my speed up...ill try the twisting of my hips to see if that helps, ive been trying to mimic some videos on youtube (no not expert village haha) with my follow through but it just doesn't feel right...

I know it is hard to grasp from the words. It never made sense when people would tell me things like that until the one day that I did it, and it sorta clicked.

Ever started a lawn mower with a pull starter? Imagine one of those sitting chest level behind you, you grip it and have to pull forward, now imagine being able to pull that beyond a 180 degree line, imagine trying to pull that 270 degrees. Your motion at the end should continue to be strong, don't think of it as stopping straight out, think of it as not slowing down until you are facing directly at your target with your arm pointing at a 90 degree angle away from your desired target.

hmmm ok ill try starting a lawn mower...so I should get away from trying to just "snap" through and have one smooth contiuous motion?

Last edited:
Sounds like your having the problem I had with getting more Distance & consistency a few years back. I used to think the farther I reached back and the more arm speed would = more distance but the more arm speed I generated basically wrecked my form and consistency. 80% of your power should be coming from your elbow bent position to the follow thru. Really the Dan Beato video is one of the best driving instructional videos out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo combine that with the article by dave dunipace president of Innova at www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/distancesecrets.shtml & you and your buddies wil be driving like pros. Its hard to change what you've learned at first but after about a month or two of practicing this form I was able to move out of the adv and into the pro. Good Discin!

ok well I just went today to practice for this weekend..and im still not getting my damn weight forward! on some of my throws ill kick my left foot and on others I don't...for some reason it kills my accuracy...I hit almost every tree I could today on the course if I didn't I felt that my drives would have been in the 350-400 range....ill upload the videos tommorow so you guys can see what im talking about...the elbow thing is messing with my accuracy.

No disrespect, but obviouly your not getting it. Your video makes it clear that your form is about 50% from good. If I could see your play in person I could really help you. Simply put if you want more D just reach back farther or use a more extreme bent elbow method your form is so extremely compact that any little advice on form should improve your distance, but for long term-goal setting success you gotta chance everything! Good luck brah!!

Latest posts