• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fish's Newbie Bag

muptonfish

Par Member

Hello everyone, not new to disc golf per se, but new to actually trying to get better at DG.
Brief history: I played for a few years about 8-10 years ago, by play I mean, I tried to throw discs at baskets (not very successfully). I was a total newbie and threw my driver off the tee regardless of how far the pin actually was, mid range until I could get within putting range.

Fast forward to this summer I played again for the first time in at least 5 years, but now I have the desire to get better and play more. (it helps that my son likes to play so it gives us something to do together)

Here is my current bag (hopefully I can add pictures later as most of these discs were purchased 10 years ago)

Putter:
DX Rhino (old) - i like it but have never really tried any others either

Mid range:
DX Stingray (old) - seems decent goes fairly straight for me then stalls out quickly
DX Roc (old) - have had some better throws with it lately and gaining confidence

Fairway
GStar (F2) Leopard3 (new) - only used 1 round so far

Driver
DX Archangel (old) - might be too beat up now, used to throw it all the time, still do when i need max distance
DX Valkyrie (new) - thrown it a few times but havent had great results unless the hole is really open

other Discs I own
DX Leopard F2 x5 - bought these for field work but havent had the chance to get out
DX Shark f2 x4 - same as leopard

Champ Beast (old) - disc is too fast for me currently
DX Wraith (old) - same
Champ Xcal F2 (new) - same

Looking for assistance in picking out beginner friendly discs that still retain use after I (hopefully) improve my form. I mainly stick with Innova discs as those are mainly what is available locally and easier to get as I usually only buy a disc or two a month.

Thanks

Also using this as a log

Welcome back to the addiction!

I think knowing how far these discs are going for you right now and backhand/forehand preference will help with the helping.

I'd suggest getting a stable putter (ie beadless Aviar) and a slightly OS fairway (ie Teebird) and go with the traditional set up:

Aviar (or the like) for putts
(Rhyno for upshots if you like it)

Stingray and Roc combo

Leopard3
Teebird (or the like)

Valkyrie (if you can get it out further than the leopard consistently)

Of course, just my suggestion. Cheers!

Welcome back to the addiction!

I think knowing how far these discs are going for you right now and backhand/forehand preference will help with the helping.

I'd suggest getting a stable putter (ie beadless Aviar) and a slightly OS fairway (ie Teebird) and go with the traditional set up:

Aviar (or the like) for putts
(Rhyno for upshots if you like it)

Stingray and Roc combo

Leopard3
Teebird (or the like)

Valkyrie (if you can get it out further than the leopard consistently)

Of course, just my suggestion. Cheers!

Ok I will edit the original post with that info. Thanks

Ok I will edit the original post with that info. Thanks

Doesn't look like I can edit the original post.

Primarily throw RHBH a few FH

Driver - 250ish max , 200-225 more realistic
Fairway - 200ish max
Mid range - 175ish
Putter - 150ish

BTW these are guesstimates on the distances

jmd has ya covered. Only thing I would add is a Mako3, probably instead of a Stingray if you wanna keep the bag minimal. They are easy to replace (Dick's carries them), in Champ plastic they are almost indestructible, and they will show you if your form is off. they are also great for tunnel shots and they hold any line you put them on.

EDIT: Your mids should be getting to 250' before jumping to fairways and 300' before throwing drivers....approx.

Nice start... I would agree with adding an easy to throw putter (Aviar, pure etc) for upshots to give a little more glide on the short touch shots.

jmd has ya covered. Only thing I would add is a Mako3, probably instead of a Stingray if you wanna keep the bag minimal. They are easy to replace (Dick's carries them), in Champ plastic they are almost indestructible, and they will show you if your form is off. they are also great for tunnel shots and they hold any line you put them on.

EDIT: Your mids should be getting to 250' before jumping to fairways and 300' before throwing drivers....approx.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to get some more solid numbers for my throwing distance this weekend.

Looking for assistance in picking out beginner friendly discs that still retain use after I (hopefully) improve my form. I mainly stick with Innova discs as those are mainly what is available locally and easier to get as I usually only buy a disc or two a month.

First, welcome back to the game!

Second; all of these in DX
Eagle
Teebird
Gazelle
Cheetah
Roc
Shark
Aviar
Rhyno
Dart
Also KC Aviar, Yeti Pro Aviar and JK Aviar

All of these discs can be of use until they literally fall apart. The flight and feel of beat in DX plastic is amazing! A beat in Eagle or Teebird will fly as far as distance drivers for the average player and be far more accurate too. And DX plastic is cheap, easy to get and lasts a lot longer than the grumblings of a few people.

Take a read through this thread and give it a try, if more people actually tried it, we wouldn't have sub 300ft throwers buying and reviewing 13 speed discs!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Also, I can't recommend enough trying an Elite-X Comet too!

And try to find some better players too. There are any number of torque monkeys out there, try to find some who look smooth and effortless. Watch them!

Good luck

Last edited:
Geez I support plastic addiction as much as anyone else.. I like your bag, Leopard and stingray heavy.. Looks solid.. That Rhyno will be an issue it's probably beautiful and tough to replace, an Aviar or something like it probably would be handy.. But handle a bunch of discs find something you like the feel of with a more neutral stability to complement the Rhyno and you are set.

Yes Comets are awesome Keller... I agree 100% if you see one or order discs get one.

Get out and throw those leopards. For those 175-300 drives and fairwayzs. Throw the sharks too of course. Rhynos are great. The speed of them scares most players as a putter choice, but a great short approach and sometime putter.

Stingrays don't get a ton of love these days. But great control and good glide. My girlfriend uses them to beat me regularly.

People don't love dx. I do. When they get too beat AND you know it - is a good problem to have for someone trying to get good. Then you'll throw a champ lep3 or something in premium plastic and realize there is another level to master.

Aviars are fine putters. I like soft. So I put with s soft focus and soft challengers. And I throw my aviars. Biggest thing about putters is feel. What's good in your hand, do get a wrap nicely. What disc makes you forget you're holding a disc. I

Good stuff, I'll be sure to come back and read your log. Looking forward to hearing about lines and shot shapes with those leopards.

Quick update: played 9 holes this AM but it was rough on the pride. I shot +10 with only one par.
Only threw a small bag today
Putter: Rhino
Messed around with my sons Aviar that is new & really liked it

Mid range:
DX Roc
DX Shark (1st time throwing it felt fairly good)

Fairway
DX Leopard (had a couple really good throws that were off target but went straight and good distance)
G* Leopard 3 (cant seem to figure this disc out yet, I have thrown a DX Leopard 3 of my sons that flies well)

There is only one disc missing from your collection so far. A neutral putter for putting. Rhynos are great, but not really for putting. I would suggest an Aviar like many others. Other than that, you have plenty of discs for now. More rounds with the bag you played with today would be where I would suggest starting. Add an Aviar to it and you can cover most shots needed at any beginner to intermediate level course.

There is only one disc missing from your collection so far. A neutral putter for putting. Rhynos are great, but not really for putting. I would suggest an Aviar like many others. Other than that, you have plenty of discs for now. More rounds with the bag you played with today would be where I would suggest starting. Add an Aviar to it and you can cover most shots needed at any beginner to intermediate level course.

I'm going to be on the look out for an Aviar, my sons seemed a bit more effortless to throw than my Rhyno

I'd say the Proxy...I went from a rhyno too...

Just my preference.

Also I figured a bit more accurate numbers on my distance.
Putter - 150 max of 175
Midrange - 200ish max 225
Fairway (leopard) - 240 max 275
Driver - unknown (didn't throw them today)

Hope to get some field work in tomorrow or maybe a practice round

The disc monkey struck again yesterday. I went to my local PIAS to look at getting a new putter, ended up buying a Yeti Pro Aviar. It felt pretty good in the hand and 30% off all new discs didn't hurt. Unfortunately the disc monkey made me buy 3 other discs as well. Was also kind of looking for a new Archangel just to compare flights with my well used one but fortunately for my wallet they didn't have any in stock.

Latest posts