• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fish's Newbie Bag

Big plans today to play a few rounds, but God intervened with a sick 5 year old and rain most of the day. Got out for a quick quick but soggy 9 holes. Didn't keep score as I was throwing multiple discs per "shot"

Putters
Yeti Pro Aviar 166g
MCPro Aviar 175g
DX Rhyno 175g

1st round playing with the Yeti, I like the feel of it but it flies so different from the Rhyno it's going to take some getting used to. I had some good success with some shorter up shots/longer putts but missed some shorter ones I normally would have made with the Rhyno (due to familiarity)
Couldn't drive with any of the putters, coming out of my hand a bit squirrelly.

Mids
DX Roc well used - still my best mid for accuracy and shaping different lines
KC Pro Roc new - got better distance than the DX but wasn't able to throw with much accuracy
MC Pro Roc3 used - had one good drive not much else
DX VROC - threw once found a tree and didn't get out of the bag again

fairways
GStar leopard 3 - had a couple good drives and a few other decent throws. Pretty happy with it today
DX Leopard3 (my sons) - one great drive, couple of other non descript throws

Drive
DX Valk - bagged it to try on 2 holes - found trees on both

Hope to get out more this weekend and try my Leopardss and Sharks

Played 18 (front 9 twice).
Full Bag on the first 9 and shot +7, ugly! Didn't have any redeeming shots besides a few good upshots with a putter to get me out of trouble.

2nd 9 I was mad about not throwing well so I went back to the car and drank some water and headed back out with the 3 discs I had a few good throws with
Putter
Yeti Pro Aviar

Mids
DX Roc - beat in
KC Pro Roc - newish

I hit most of the lines I wanted to hit and felt great about the way I threw. Ended up +4 for those 9 holes, had a couple of long birdie putts but ended up missing them.
Really gaining confidence in throwing the Yeti and Rocs.

Last edited:
Played another 9 holes this evening on a different course (Harmony Bends red tees). Toted the full bag
Putter
Yeti Pro Aviar - quickly becoming my favorite disc to throw when I'm unsure what to throw. Finally busted through the 200' barrier with it. Airmailed the pin by 30' ft on a 189' par 3

Mid Range
DX Roc - well used
KC Pro Roc - newish
MCPro Roc 3 - used
DX Shark - new

Bagged the shark to force myself to use it instead of a Roc on a few holes. I just can't seem to get consistently decent lines with it. I can get some decent distance and fairly straight but can't seem to shape different lines with them like I can with a Roc? Any dedicated Shark throwers our there that can offer some insight?

Fairways
DX Leopard - newish
GStar Leopard3 - newish

Had some solid drives with the Leopard3 not great distance but I just did standstill/one-step throws as the step is only hindering me right now.

Why are you trying to it the Shark in when you have Rocs you like? The Shark is just overlap.

I used to throw the Shark, (was my first disc actually), then switched to the Buzzz and then went to Rocs. Been with Rocs ever since, but last year I bought a DX Shark for nostalgia's sake. It flew fine, but did nothing I couldn't do with one of my Rocs. Eventually traded it away.

Nothing wrong with the Shark, but if it ain't working, shelve it for a while. Less variables to deal with as a newer player too.

Why are you trying to it the Shark in when you have Rocs you like? The Shark is just overlap.

I used to throw the Shark, (was my first disc actually), then switched to the Buzzz and then went to Rocs. Been with Rocs ever since, but last year I bought a DX Shark for nostalgia's sake. It flew fine, but did nothing I couldn't do with one of my Rocs. Eventually traded it away.

Nothing wrong with the Shark, but if it ain't working, shelve it for a while. Less variables to deal with as a newer player too.

Excellent question, to be honest I bagged it mainly because I bought 4 of them (F2s) for fieldwork and haven't really used any of them for actual playing. Weird sense of obligation I know. I will probably just continue to use them for field work and not bag them.

I am pretty happy with my progress on my midrange game and approach shots, Off the tee and putting is another story, but it seems like even if I miss a line I want to hit, my misses aren't that far off and complete disasters as they can be with my tee shots.

After another frustrating fieldwork session, I think my Leopards and Leopard3 are going to have to sit on the bench for a bit. I don't have anything to really take their spot but I'm currently mentally defeated whenever I pick a Leo up. I know it's not the disc, it's me, but the Leo's need a rest.

Sorry to hear it. I had to start all over throwing nothing but a Mako3 and a putter for a while to get back into proper throwing form. I too had to take the x-step out for awhile. very frustrating, but worth it in the long run. you might need to pick up a nuetral mid to clean up your form, sometimes those overstable mids can cover up some form issues

Sorry to hear it. I had to start all over throwing nothing but a Mako3 and a putter for a while to get back into proper throwing form. I too had to take the x-step out for awhile. very frustrating, but worth it in the long run. you might need to pick up a nuetral mid to clean up your form, sometimes those overstable mids can cover up some form issues

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, but there is no doubt the Rocs are covering up a lot of form issues :)

A beat Roc is not covering up form issues.

What were the Leos doing that defeated you today?

If you want to try something different, try a DX Cheetah for a bit. I had to drop Leopards as the feel of the rim and how shallow they are messed with my fat fingers. I use Polaris LS in that slot now.

Sometimes it can be as simple as a disc doesn't fit.

Last edited:
The Leo's were doing all sorts of squirrelly things, mostly they were going too high with too much hyzer. When I tried to keep the disc down, it inevitably veer right and not comeback or turn over into the ground shortly after release. I had 2 decent throws and 1 excellent throw out of 40. I bagged them at that point and threw some rocs to get a little confidence back

I'm probably one to buck the trend, but I don't think leopards are all that good for newer players.

I think they are too nose angle sensitive and you can't always read the flight to know what is wrong. They're designed to be flippy, but if you don't hit them right, they either burn or hyzer like a Teebird.

Watch round 2 of the Worlds. Nate Sexton threw a Leo3 a few times and screwed it up every time. Listen to his own commentary (tried to smooth it and it just hyzered out).

I think a DX Cheetah, Eagle or Teebird (Gazelle too, they were my favorites, but I hear they are now OOP) in the mid to upper 160s are all better discs. They are a little more forgiving to imperfect throws while still giving you some decent flights, and as they beat in, they get better at telling you what you did or what you are doing wrong. And these will all handle wind better than a Leopard too. And once one beats in, just add a new one and you'll have most of your bases covered and have familiarity with one mold.

Just my 2-cents from my own experience.

I'm probably one to buck the trend, but I don't think leopards are all that good for newer players.

I think they are too nose angle sensitive and you can't always read the flight to know what is wrong. They're designed to be flippy, but if you don't hit them right, they either burn or hyzer like a Teebird.

Watch round 2 of the Worlds. Nate Sexton threw a Leo3 a few times and screwed it up every time. Listen to his own commentary (tried to smooth it and it just hyzered out).

I think a DX Cheetah, Eagle or Teebird (Gazelle too, they were my favorites, but I hear they are now OOP) in the mid to upper 160s are all better discs. They are a little more forgiving to imperfect throws while still giving you some decent flights, and as they beat in, they get better at telling you what you did or what you are doing wrong. And these will all handle wind better than a Leopard too. And once one beats in, just add a new one and you'll have most of your bases covered and have familiarity with one mold.

Just my 2-cents from my own experience.

Are you saying the leopard is a 'good form' disc?

Are you saying the leopard is a 'good form' disc?

if your form is clean, it's a great disc. But so is pretty much any disc in it's class if your form is clean. I just don't think it's the best disc for a beginner to learn with, even if it does come in a starter pack.

I personally just don't much care for leopards, I think they are too finicky in relation to how much power you put into them and the rim just doesn't really fit me. For what it's worth, I threw them in every plastic and my favorite was G* and my last G* is now thrashed and is the only one I have left, "sentimental reasons", first disc I ever completely wore the stamp off! LOL. So yeah, I threw it a lot.

I'll be on the lookout for something a little different in the fairway range. I will probably still bag my sons Leopard3 in DX, for some reason I can get that one to fly a bit better, it is a little lighter than my DX Leo'a so that may have something to do with it.

Put in another hour of field work, picked up a couple putters and a DX Cheetah over the weekend, I wanted to throw it and get the putters going as well. Had more mixed results. Putters as usual were my best class of disc, started out getting them out to 150' range and as my arm warmed up I got them out to 200'+ with fairly consistent lines.
My rocs were a mixed bag of results, not going much father than the putters with less consistency in the lines. Threw the Cheetah a little bit and experienced similar results as my Leopards from previous field work experience. My take away from this is I'm going to just bag my rocs and putters for the rest of the year for playing.

Post a video of yourself throwing, that's probably the best way to get some helpful advice because something is off.

My guess is your doing what most new players are doing, poor alignment, rounding and strong arming. It's best to have someone who knows what their doing straighten you out now before you waste a lot of time and possibly injure your self.

This is a good video to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74jibJn2Yk

Notice his foot alignment. Most new players I see have both feet in line with the target, like ball golf. Wrong for disc golf. Start with the back foots toes in line with the lead foots heel.

Post a video of yourself throwing, that's probably the best way to get some helpful advice because something is off.

My guess is your doing what most new players are doing, poor alignment, rounding and strong arming. It's best to have someone who knows what their doing straighten you out now before you waste a lot of time and possibly injure your self.

This is a good video to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74jibJn2Yk

Notice his foot alignment. Most new players I see have both feet in line with the target, like ball golf. Wrong for disc golf. Start with the back foots toes in line with the lead foots heel.
Thanks for the link and advice. I will try to film myself next time I am out throwing.

Haven't gotten a chance to film myself, but played 18 at the shortest local course. I shot fairly well for 16 holes, started off with a Birdie (rare occurrence for me) ended with 2 double bogeys.

Putters
Yeti Pro Aviar 175g (main putter)
DX Aviar 175g (driving and approach)
Yeti Pro Aviar 166g (didn't like it for putting but throws fairly well for me)

Mids
DX Roc used
KC Pro Roc newish
MC Pro Roc3 used
DX VROC used
Stingray

I love both the Rocs, I like the Roc3, the Vroc is meh. Bagged the Stingray today for 2 specific holes, worked well on one of them and found a tree on the other.

Fairways
DX Cheetah new - used in place of my Leopards, worked ok
G* Leopard - didn't throw

Driver
DX Valk - only used for 1 shot

Ended up +8 for the round, was just focused on playing golf and hitting the lines/gaps I wanted and not worry about my lack of distance I'm getting. Always good to get out and play.

I like your bag. Good solid molds with minimal overlap. I would probably just drop the vroc as it's really quite different that the other ones in the hand. I would focus on learning the rocs you have. The stingray is a great disc until you get on the of the DX rocs beat up enough to fly like it.

Got out this AM for a quick 9 at Harmony Bends. The morning was just too nice not to squeeze in a few holes. Picked up a Star Wombat3 and a DX Dart earlier this week. I wanted a straight flyer for some lower ceiling shots at another local course. I haven't really figured out the wombat3 yet but the Dart worked really well today so far. Excited about it.

Latest posts