• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fish's Newbie Bag

Well back to the reality of my disc golfing skills, played 18 yesterday at a shorter local course with a smaller bag than usual. It did not go well.

Putters
Yeti Pro Aviar 175g (main putter)
DX Aviar 175g (driving and approach)
DX Dart 175g

Mids
DX Roc used
KC Pro Roc newish
MC Pro Roc3 used
* Wombat3

Fairways
DX Cheetah 175

For all my excitement about the Dart on Sunday, I couldn't do anything with it today except hit trees. A really frustrating round that mentally had me beat after the front 9 at +6. It took me until hole 15 to really get my head back in the game and play golf and not just throw discs. Ended the round birdie, bogey, par, par which i was happy with considering how i was playing.
Looking back on the round, my initial hypothesis on the Dart is that it can't take a "full" power throw like Aviars. Next time i will try to power it down and see if I get back to my initial success with it.

Its been awhile since I have posted/updated. Picked up some slight hip pain a few weeks ago, and its been fairly crappy weather as well. Got out last night to play 18 at Harmony Bends. It did not go well (+12)

Putters
Yeti Pro Aviar 175g
MC Pro Aviar 175g
DX Dart 175g

While I love the grip/feel of the Yeti, I can't seem to putt with it as well as I think I should. I kept switching which putter I was using throughout the round, made longer putts with the Dart but also blew by 2 baskets with it. As always a work in progress

Mids
DX Roc used
MC Pro Roc3 used
Vroc Used
* Wombat3

Wombat3 was MVP of this round, used it several times to salvage some holes with a nice straight easy "move up" the fairway shot.

Fairways
DX Cheetah
DX Leopard
G* Leopard3

I didn't throw these much, I'm still getting too much height on my leopards but had a few decent shots with these.

Driver
DX Thunderbird 170g

A new disc I wanted to try out, I have had it for a couple weeks but hadnt thrown it yet. I threw a couple of really good FHs with it but the BH throws were less than stellar.

Played a great round for me today, shot +2 at Harmony Bends and had 3 birdies (a PR for me).

Putters
DX Aviar 175g - putting only
Yeti Aviar 166g - approaches
Yeti Aviar 175g - driving/longer approaches
DX Rhyno 175g - driving/approach/ FH

Mids
DX Roc 171g - beat
MCPro Roc3 175g - beat
DX Roc 180g new
DX Wombat 156g - slightly beat

I reach for the beat Roc most often, the Roc3 is a bit of overlap. The wombat is a fun disc that I use for straight shots and approaches that need to finish slightly right.

Fairways
G* Leopard3 172g
DX TeeBird 170g
I have been doing better with keeping the nose down and they have been flying a lot better for me. I'm mostly driving with these and been happy with the results accuracy wise.

Driver
Dx Thunderbird 170g - mainly used for FHs

Played a round over the weekend and shot better than I have in quite a while. I have been messing around with a few different discs in the field lately and also discovered hyzer flipping (I think). I'm glad the course reinforced what the field work has shown me.

Putters
175g McPro Aviar (putting inside 25'ish)
175g Yeti Aviar (driving, long approaches)
175g Pro Rhyno (FH mainly)
172g Champ Dart (long putts, short approaches) a bit of overlap but it comes in handy 2-3 times per round

Mids
171g DX Roc - beat
175g McPro Roc3 - beat
180g DX Roc - new
173g DX Wombat3 - new
I didn't throw the mids very much this round, i was driving well enough to use putters on a lot of 2nd shots

Fairways
168g DX Cheetah
171g DX Leopard
170g DX TeeBird
these are all slightly beat in, I'm mainly hyzer flipping the Cheetah and Leopard
The TeeBird i usually try to throw flat and straight and let it finish left

Driver
170g DX ThunderBird - mainly FHs, or a big hyzer (for me) is needed

Unless you love that Yeti, I would ditch it and simplify your putters. Fresh McPro off the tee, beat for putting, Rhyno for utility, Dart for long putts.

Unless you love that Yeti, I would ditch it and simplify your putters. Fresh McPro off the tee, beat for putting, Rhyno for utility, Dart for long putts.

Honestly I would drop the Dart before the Yeti, I currently throw the Yeti better than any other putter off the tee. I agree there is some overlap though

Latest posts