• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flat firebird clones?

I guess, but I've thrown XXX and Tridents almost 400. That's a pretty long midrange.

And people throw putters 400' (backhand). I agree that they are tweener'y. I think the Spark is way more like a traditional Fairway Driver rim while a Trident is more like a mega blunt Firebird rim that equates to fast Midrange or slow Fairway driver to me.

on what, a downhill where you threw a super oat-y anny FH? or the same downhill with a FH roller? or the same downhill with an awesome tommy?

Nope, on a flat football field with a tailwind.

And people throw putters 400' (backhand). I agree that they are tweener'y. I think the Spark is way more like a traditional Fairway Driver rim while a Trident is more like a mega blunt Firebird rim that equates to fast Midrange or slow Fairway driver to me.

Haha yeah Wiggins and Simon.

Your right that the Spark is more traditional in flight path. I'll agree with that.

This is the retooled Sparks I assume? I got myself an decodye and it's close to the old flat xxx...

Yeah, the OG ones were awesome. I think the new ones are what the intended to make but maybe it's not as fun.

Playing thread necromancer here:

I have been spoiled on my FAF 12x FB, and lately I've been concerned I'm going to lose it, considering it unfortunately is a nice "leaves in the sun" greenish-yellow translucent.

I stopped by Disc Golf Depot a few weeks ago to see if I could scare up something to replace it. I compared XXXs, Felons, current run Firebirds, maybe a few more things, and ended up with a flat Felon which I have decided to bag as something a little more workable. However, I could find nothing as flat and with as high a PLH as my currently bagged FAF FB.

Is there anything out there in production that rivals the 12x FAF FBs in terms of flatness and sheer utility overstability in a typical production run available online? I'm looking for something with a rim no wider than a firebird, as I find 1.9ish mm to be about at the maximum for a comfy thumber grip.

The xxx, trident, felon, etc...comparing these to a faf fb is off base imo.

Get an h1. Not many are perfectly flat, but every single one is just as overstable, and you can find perfectly flat ones if you HAVE to have them. There is no other disc currently in production with the exception of the flick (too fast) or stego( too slow) that meet the beef of the faf fb imo.

The xxx, trident, felon, etc...comparing these to a faf fb is off base imo.

Get an h1. Not many are perfectly flat, but every single one is just as overstable, and you can find perfectly flat ones if you HAVE to have them. There is no other disc currently in production with the exception of the flick (too fast) or stego( too slow) that meet the beef of the faf fb imo.

It just gets me wondering - what is stopping Innova, or particularly any other brand, from coming out with something like this? It would allow them to say "you asked for it, here it is. We are molding the 'disc-X' to come out consistently flat, with a very high wing and a rim width of 1.9. This disc is not 'workable,' it doesn't 'hold any line you put it on,' and it doesn't have 'significant glide.' Throw it for your utility overstable shots and nothing else. Give us all the money."

It just gets me wondering - what is stopping Innova, or particularly any other brand, from coming out with something like this? It would allow them to say "you asked for it, here it is. We are molding the 'disc-X' to come out consistently flat, with a very high wing and a rim width of 1.9. This disc is not 'workable,' it doesn't 'hold any line you put it on,' and it doesn't have 'significant glide.' Throw it for your utility overstable shots and nothing else. Give us all the money."

I agree.

And my post wasn't too clear - I've never seen an h1 with a real "dome". I haven't seen newer runs either so I could be out of the loop, but the h1 is every bit as OS as those fb even if not perfectly flat.

If you would like, I'll send you two h1 to test. One that's faf and one that's "average" so you can see how not-different they are in terms of overstability.

And I wouldn't compare plh on different molds. Not going to give you accurate results. :)

I agree.

And my post wasn't too clear - I've never seen an h1 with a real "dome". I haven't seen newer runs either so I could be out of the loop, but the h1 is every bit as OS as those fb even if not perfectly flat.

If you would like, I'll send you two h1 to test. One that's faf and one that's "average" so you can see how not-different they are in terms of overstability.

And I wouldn't compare plh on different molds. Not going to give you accurate results. :)

I appreciate it, but I do have a backup to my FAF FB.

Latest posts