• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FLEX plastic...yay or nay?

I bought a FLX XL not too long ago. It works awesome. Not overstable at all. With full power and released on a hyzer it will flip up and go straight as an arrow for 300' before it slightly fades at all. Released flat and it will turn over and roll pretty far too. With less power and released flat and it will turn nice and smooth and hold that line till it hits the ground. Hit a tree with it and the thing will retain it's shape like no other plastic I have in the bag. No skipping from it either. Great plastic. Feels great in the hand as well. I can't wait to try out some other discs in this plastic. FLX Buzzz, Drone and Challenger.

I hate FLX plastic. I can't think of a single disc that flies remotely the same in FLX as it does in ESP/Z...They all fly worse. The plastic breaks in really funny as well. It will look fine but be really broken in. I think it's crap pretty much...And I like other flexible plastics such as gummy champ, sometimes gummy star, HPP, soft Proton, and even crystal FLX. Anything but FLX...

big fan of flx for drivers and mids alike. carry a flx predator and flx drone. i wish they made a flx zone.

My FLX Buzzz is awesome! I've never thrown any other discs in flx and have only had this one for a few months. So no experience with it during the warmer weather...

I have an Avenger and an Avenger SS in FLX. I use them as my main drivers in the winter and very wet conditions. They fly like they do in any other plastic, but I don't take them out on hot or sunny days.

They are my cold weather drivers. I think that's what FLX plastic was made for, and it performs great in the cold. It's springtime now... they won't get back on the course until December. It's Swedish and Finnish disc time!

I used to like FLX. Now I just think it takes away from distance, and makes everything super ovestable. I have a FLX Surge that is as ovestable as my ESP force.

I have a FLX Surge that was the first disc I ever bought brand new (aka not from the used bin at PIAS). I have now owned it for about a year and still continue to use it a fair bit. A lot of people seem to hate FLX in the heat, but I used mine all summer in Dallas playing multiple rounds in the heat of the afternoon and never had issues with it.

Is it my favorite plastic? No. Is it terrible? No.

I love my FLX Buzzz, but since it's in a tree right now I haven't thrown it in hot weather yet (I got it for Christmas). :eek:

My FLX buzz is my anhyzer disc -- not overstable at all. Love it though. Straight as an arrow thrown 80% power. Thrown harder, it has a beatiful big anhyzer fade and I've made some shots with it that would have been impossible with anything else in my bag. All my other mids are Rocs, and they are more stable than the FLX.

I also like that the FLX absorbs impact well, especially on rocks. I use mine sometimes on upshots where I am afraid my stiff wizards will stand up and roll. The FLX plastic just hits and stays.

I've tried FLX in a driver and a putter and didn't really like it for either. I think midrange is the sweet spot.

Same here, pretty much. I dunno what the people who are complaining about their OS FLX Buzzzes are talking about... :confused:

I love my flx buzzz...so much that I bought a couple more :hfive:

Not that Z buzzz isnt any good, I carry both in my bag. The FLX does have a touch more stability like others have mentioned, but not that big of a difference.

I also carry a FLX predator, but its the only pred I have, and I like its overstability so Im not sure how it compares to other plastics.

I just got a FLX Buzzz, and it's way too overstable for me. I mean, a 176g Buzzz shouldn't be way more overstable than a 180g Rancho Roc, right? The Roc flys nice and straight for me, but the Buzzz just hyzers out.

That's weird...I find my 177g FLX Buzzz to be slightly less stable than My beat Z. It's actually more like a Buzzz SS.

I sent my FLX Surge into a (sharp) rock garden the other day at full speed. I heard this big "whack" and I expected to see huge gashes in the disc. Seriously, I couldn't find any marks at all. This stuff is exceptionally durable.

But, I'm scared to see it in the hot summer. Last year I had 2 star discs that turned super bendy on hot days. The rest were ok, but these two would bend under their own weight just holding them.

I hate that plastic all of my Buzzzs and Challengers are junk. They just sit and collect dust.

I think you misread my post, I am not speaking of just cryztal plastic. I am talking about the most coveted of discraft plastic the cryztal FLX plastic. They only made like 400 buzzzs (07 Players Cup) ever and have only ran the the challengers for 3 events (07 Players cup, 08 Memorial and 11 Memorial). If you have those and hate them please pm me as I would love to acquire them from you.

Definately for my Buzzz! As a midrange disc, I think those are the ones that take the most abuse and the FLX is more than up to the challenge. I have played so much with it and still flies like when I first got it. I have no intention of getting either a driver or putter in that plastic though.

My favorite disc is a FLX Buzzz. On approaches most of the time it is very reliable to land without a lot of roll if any.

I also like the FLX in the woods. If you hit a tree it will usually not take off it long wild directions into further trouble. I usually carry at least a couple of FLX discs for specific trouble shots or wood shots.

As you can tell I am a big fan of FLX.

^^this. I used my ESP FLX Buzzz for 2 One-disc rounds and I couldn't throw it anymore. It was my first FLX disc and it and my 1st run ESP Nuke completely turned me off to buying any other disc in this plastic.

^^this. I used my ESP FLX Buzzz for 2 One-disc rounds and I couldn't throw it anymore. It was my first FLX disc and it and my 1st run ESP Nuke completely turned me off to buying any other disc in this plastic.

You must hit trees a lot really hard... :p

Seriously though, I've used mine for a lot of rounds and hit plenty of obstacles and it hasn't beaten in at all. Slightly seasoned, but nothing like you're talking about.

I like it. Too me, it is the most durable plastic on the market. I have 3 FLX Surges, and love them.

Agreed, the most durable plastic I have used. I bought 3 FLX Avengers when they first came out and still have all of them. All three hold the line nicely and are still in great shape.