• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flexibility vs. Strength?

Strength, Flexibility, or Even Balance?

• Total voters

Jukeshoe

<---[Your Ad Here]
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Which physical attribute is more desirable for optimal disc golf ability? Strength? Or flexibility?

Does there need to be a good balance between the two, or is one clearly more important than the other?

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions, anecdotes, and routines (weight training, yoga routines, whatever you might think works well to prepare the body for successful discing*). :popcorn:

*Obviously, I realize technique almost certainly trumps everything else.

I'm working on a program for the offseason...will consist of weight loss yoga, stretch bands, stretching, and a shoulder program (mackie shilstone inspired). Also setting up a putting course in my house for skill work (biggest need for me). All around fitness and flexibility is best IMO. But I get arthritic in my right shoulder when not playing golf for months in the winter...so trying to curb that this winter with the workouts and shoulder program. Shoulder program is right after each round of golf and in winter more consistently/daily. Basically the program is this...work the opposite muscles used during throwing motion. So for me im BH...and because of that i'll work on the muscles on front of my shoulder, some pecs, etc.

So, I think both are important equally.

I think flexibility is more important. But they are not mutually exclusive. Both would be best, but if you were only to focus on one I think you would see the most benifit from flexibility. Particularly in your shoulders and hips

I vote flexable upper body, strong legs, both for core (but I would lean flexible).

Strong upper body (shoulders, upper back, arms) only hurt my game. More mass to accelerate, less range of motion.

On the other hand your legs cannot be too strong. Assuming the strength comes with good balance, that is the engine that drives your throw.

Core strength supports the transfer from legs to arms. Core flexability makes sure the transfer is smooth.

Bro science FTW!

I think flexibility trumps strength in regards to overall performance. Keeps you loose and less strain. Can always throw lighter/US stuff to compensate for lower power but nothing for flexibility just stretch.

I think flexibility trumps strength in regards to overall performance. Keeps you loose and less strain. Can always throw lighter/US stuff to compensate for lower power but nothing for flexibility just stretch.
I agree with this completely, especially as you start getting older. Maintaining flexibility will also help with things like reach back and a smooth pull through. This will likely lead to better releases, which leads to better throws in general.

Let me drop some Bro Science on you brother.

Stretching is actually bad for functional flexibility. It creates a power gap where your muscles cannot engage inside a specific range of motion. Much better to practice full range of motion resistance training.

Seems like strength wins as a baseline value. Just compare men versus women distance and I suspect many of them may be more flexible than the most flexible man. Then flexibility enhances strength.

Seems like strength wins as a baseline value. Just compare men versus women distance and I suspect many of them may be more flexible than the most flexible man. Then flexibility enhances strength.

So, strength is more important, but flexibility allows more efficient leverage of that strength?

I would vote strength in the legs and core to get the "whip" going with flexibility in the arms to allow the levers to release and finally, strength again in the pinch holding on. Nothing that requires weight training. More like stair stepper, crunches or sit ups, stretching, and Grip Master would be specific for throwing.

Core strength supports the transfer from legs to arms. Core flexability makes sure the transfer is smooth.

This. It is a truism for ALL sports. Strength and athletic flexibility are really hand in and hand, and if you are properly developing one then you will be developing the other.

PROPERLY developing. You can go throw iron plates around all day and get all swole-up and your flexibility will suffer, but that is not proper athletic strength building is it?
At the same time "flexibility" is a pretty sweeping and generalized term. Muscle range of motion or just loose joints and tendons?

I would lean toward developing full range of motion with muscles, so in that way focus on maintaining or improving flexibility in a strength routine.
So in a direct response to the question? Flexibility 1st, Strength 2nd.

Has anyone ever looked at Will Schusterik? The guy is a pencil, and throws a mile. Okay, 500 feet, but still. IMO, up to a rather large point, what matters is technique and timing. After that, it has always been acknowledged that the reason older guys, like me, can't throw as far as younger guys is a loss of flexibility in the tendons in their wrist. They can't get the bounce at the snap or end of the hit (I've noticed that the notion of snap is going out of favor). I've not read about it in some time, i.e. the topic seems to have fallen out of favor, but I'd hazard a guess that it matters a lot. That isn't the same as general flexibility, but think about how far your body moves around your core at the hit. If you can't unwind at the hit, all the muscles in the world won't matter.

If you are thinking strength, core and shoulder strength would seem to matter the most with some quad strength thrown in for good measure. That is where the power comes from during the hit.

Let me drop some Bro Science on you brother.

Stretching is actually bad for functional flexibility. It creates a power gap where your muscles cannot engage inside a specific range of motion. Much better to practice full range of motion resistance training.

If you isolate and hold a single stretch for too long sure but its no different than low resistance exercises just like a warm up. All you are doing is getting some blood flowing not trying to become a contortionist.... Avery has s good video on this funny how strong dude with big time educational back ground on sports never held world record d and a skinny dude can throw his putters as far as avery. S

Let's try to keep the "Bro Science" to a minimum here, please. :|

Fast-twitch muscle fibers are what give you explosive power in short bursts. Your mixture of muscle types is genetic, so it is luck of the draw. Even if you do have the fast-twitch fibers in spades, build type factors in as well. You can be strong AND flexible, but if you have stumpy little T-Rex arms, it will diminish your capabilities.

Latest posts